Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I wanted to avoid the potential vibrations that can come with lowering an AWD, is going with coilovers and only lowering so much that I don’t get vibrations a viable option, or does it not work like that?

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,073 Posts
I have zero vibration on RSR downs

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have zero vibration on RSR downs
I've read of a lot of people that don't have any issues, which is why I'm certainly tempted to save the money.

However, if I do have issues and have to pay for removal and reinstallation of coil-overs, I'll obviously regret not going that route in the first place. 🤷‍♂️

·
Premium Member
256 Posts
I've read of a lot of people that don't have any issues, which is why I'm certainly tempted to save the money.

However, if I do have issues and have to pay for removal and reinstallation of coil-overs, I'll obviously regret not going that route in the first place. 🤷‍♂️
I just installed RSR Downs on my 2018 AWD and no issues to report.

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,073 Posts

I think issues where from

Springs with too much drop. (RSR Superdowns)

Installing the wrong springs. (RWD on AWD) or Q60 on Q50 or vice versa.

Or improper installation. Not correctly aligning everything and top hat strut nut is tough to torque properly without spinning it.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts

'17 Q60 Red Sport AWD chiming in - zero issues with RS-R I*Active C/Os and SPL Suspension with 1" drop.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
If I wanted to avoid the potential vibrations that can come with lowering an AWD, is going with coilovers and only lowering so much that I don’t get vibrations a viable option, or does it not work like that?
I suggest you stay with factory spec.

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Most of the vibrations for the AWD that I've seen reported were a result of only going with lowering springs and not an actual
Coil-over setup, if your experiencing vibration your alignment is out of spec or your wheels need to be balanced.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I’ve decided to pull the trigger on either RSR Downs or BC coilovers with the intention of just removing them if they cause issues.

Any other thoughts or input is welcomed. Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
12,333 Posts
I’ve decided to pull the trigger on either RSR Downs or BC coilovers with the intention of just removing them if they cause issues.

Any other thoughts or input is welcomed. Thank you.
Coilovers > lowering springs

·
Registered
2017 infiniti Q50 AWD
1,073 Posts
Quality coilover > quality spring > OEM > cheap coilover.

Look at the price of the oem suspension and ask yourself can an aftermarket company make a better product, with adjustability for cheaper? Probably not. You will get adjustability with a trade off in quality. Or to get both it will cost more.

Can a company make a spring that is slightly lower for roughly the same price or slightly more expensive than oem spring that is still of great quality? Probably.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I've had zero NVH issues with the RS-R Best *I Active C/Os my race shop installed last spring. 1" drop from stock ride height. Firmer ride than the OEM DDS Monroe's, but still comfortable on long cruises. Combined with the SPL Parts suspension pieces, the Hotchkis SWBs, and the Michelin PS4s, my Q corners on rails.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,807 Posts
I've had zero NVH issues with the RS-R Best *I Active C/Os my race shop installed last spring. 1" drop from stock ride height. Firmer ride than the OEM DDS Monroe's, but still comfortable on long cruises. Combined with the SPL Parts suspension pieces, the Hotchkis SWBs, and the Michelin PS4s, my Q corners on rails.
Agreed. 3 years ago I considered getting BC but heard way to many problems with them. The HKS Hipermax are goid but no AWD fitment. KW was approached abot a DDS compatible coilover for us but was like $4500 and fell through.

Finally RS-R came through with the Best Active coilovers for the win. Quality parts. Superb handling. Fronts adjust easily. The rear adjuster requires a lift up over your head do you can look up to loosen the alken screw to open the adjusting window. You need to remove the tire. Small skiny hands a plus.

One of mine, a front:
20210511_235021.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts