Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These errors popped up tonight. Took out for a test drive in a parking log after I got home and decided to test the steering/wheel and at less than 20mph drove straight, and also u-turned by turning my steering wheel all the way left, then right. Vehicle is fine driving straight but something feels off turning all the way in either direction. I pressed the gas a little bit while doing this and the vehicle seems like it loses power.
I always felt like there was something off when turning (purchased certified used from an Infiniti dealer but that doesn't mean anything) but there wasn't a tell-tale sign or noise. Idk if hitting a recent pothole exacerbated this problem or if it's my imagination.

Any idea what is the cause of this?

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
858 Posts
It's a little bit tiring, but okay: What car? Which year? What tech specs/features? DAS?

For further assistance read this first!

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a little bit tiring, but okay: What car? Which year? What tech specs/features? DAS?

For further assistance read this first!
Infiniti Q50 2017. Preium w/sport package. AWD. Read that it could be the power steering pump??

·
Registered
858 Posts
You didn't answer on the question regarding DAS. Sorry, but I don't know every single spec from every model year.

So I assume you have DAS due to the sport package. As you turned your steering wheel "hard" my first thought went to DAS – you could try to disconnect your battery for a while (-) and then recalibrate the system. If it's not that you have at least excluded one possibility.

Turn you car ON and start the engine:
1. Place the steering wheel in center position
2. Turn the steering wheel left about 90 degrees
3. Turn the steering wheel right about 90 degrees
4. Repeat b and c one time.

Drive the vehicle onto a straight and flat road:
– Drive in a straight line
– Drive with a speed between 20 and 40 mph for at least 5 seconds

The system will automatically correct the off-center condition.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You didn't answer on the question regarding DAS. Sorry, but I don't know every single spec from every model year.

So I assume you have DAS due to the sport package. As you turned your steering wheel "hard" my first thought went to DAS – you could try to disconnect your battery for a while (-) and then recalibrate the DAS system. If it's not that you have at least excluded one possibility.

Turn you car ON and start the engine.

– Drive with a speed between 20 mph and 40 mph for at least 5 seconds

Sorry, didn't assume

So I assume you have DAS due to the sport package. As you turned your steering wheel "hard" my first thought went to DAS – you could try to disconnect your battery for a while (-) and then recalibrate the system. If it's not that you have at least excluded one possibility.

Turn you car ON and start the engine:

– Drive with a speed between 20 and 40 mph for at least 5 seconds

Sorry, didn't mean to not answer but I actually don't know. I tried looking at the information I have when I purchased my vehicle and it doesn't mention it. It may not have it.
It looks like it's an additional option under "Mechanical" on this website: 2017 INFINITI Q50 3.0t Premium 4dr All-wheel Drive Sedan Pricing and Options
I do have the 19" Sport Tire/Wheel Package, Premium Plus, and Driver Assistance Package. My vehicle is stock, no aftermarket mods.

I don't mind trying the battery disconnect you mentioned, but what if it's not a DAS error? How do I know it's not the power steering pump?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
DAS was a stand-alone option in 2017 for all 3.0t trim levels according to Infiniti's Press Kit. I don't think you have DAS based on your posts. What I'm not sure of is whether you have hydraulic power steering or electric power steering.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
DAS was a stand-alone option in 2017 for all 3.0t trim levels according to Infiniti's Press Kit. I don't think you have DAS based on your posts. What I'm not sure of is whether you have hydraulic power steering or electric power steering.
Sorry, I'm not being helpful but not trying to be intentionally ignorant of the vehicle I have.
Based on this article: Infiniti Q50S getting G37's hydraulic steering for 2016 [UPDATE]
"First, all current Q50 models without Direct Adaptive Steering use hydraulic power steering."
So, I have hydraulic power steering?

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I believe there's no hydraulic ps on 2016+ 3.0t models. For 2.0t, it's still hydraulic but I'm not entirely sure of the 2.2 diesel models.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
I believe there's no hydraulic ps on 2016+ 3.0t models. For 2.0t, it's still hydraulic but I'm not entirely sure of the 2.2 diesel models.
The SM lists all three PS systems but there's no indication as to what models use which PS, hence my confusion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Didn't need to leave my house but took it out for a quick drive to see if the error was still there. My videos aren't uploading RN but took screenshots of the errors:
Screenshot_20210406-211508_Video Player.jpg

Screenshot_20210406-211608_Video Player.jpg

I recently replaced my left wheel bearing and read it could be the sensor near it that is tripping the errors.
Besides the errors, I am hearing a grinding/humming noise of metal when turning the steering wheel left or right. It's not terribly loud.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
AWD errors and high temp usually is the result of an issue with a wheel speed sensor. You should have your car scanned for what codes (DTC's) it is reporting. If you don't have a scanner, drive to an autoparts store such as Autozone and they will scan it for free. The codes will help lead to what is likely the problem.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
AWD errors and high temp usually is the result of an issue with a wheel speed sensor. You should have your car scanned for what codes (DTC's) it is reporting. If you don't have a scanner, drive to an autoparts store such as Autozone and they will scan it for free. The codes will help lead to what is likely the problem.
Thanks. That's always a good idea.
Any ideas about the grinding noise when turning?

·
Registered
858 Posts
I recently replaced my left wheel bearing and read it could be the sensor near it that is tripping the errors. Besides the errors, I am hearing a grinding/humming noise of metal when turning the steering wheel left or right. It's not terribly loud.
And some other important information... 🤭

Reactions: IridiumRS400

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
And some other important information... 🤭
How am I supposed to know these things? 🙉
I'm just a regular person who is trying to get some help from fellow Q50 owners. I try to do as much research as I can but I'm not a "car enthusiast" nor a mechanic. Didn't think to detail everything. When I bought the car, I always thought there was some "noise" when turning but didn't think much of it. Also, it was a certified used vehicle from an Infiniti dealer so thought it would have been checked. I ran over a pothole which is why I was told to get my wheel bearing replaced. So,
-Is it normal for a sensor to be tripped after you replace a wheel bearing?
-The grinding noise (that I thought was there when I first got the car) now seems worse after replacing the wheel bearing

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm just a regular person who is trying to get some help from fellow Q50 owners. I try to do as much research as I can but I'm not a "car enthusiast" nor a mechanic. Didn't think to detail everything. When I bought the car, I always thought there was some "noise" when turning but didn't think much of it. Also, it was a certified used vehicle from an Infiniti dealer so thought it would have been checked. I ran over a pothole which is why I was told to get my wheel bearing replaced. So,
-Is it normal for a sensor to be tripped after you replace a wheel bearing?
-The grinding noise (that I thought was there when I first got the car) now seems worse after replacing the wheel bearing
Also, I replaced the wheel bearing about two weeks ago and had the tires rotated and weights balanced.
I drive during the week/weekends for errands, but not daily. So, error popped up only two days ago. That first night, the loss of power when accelerating at very low speed while turning was a concern. It didn't replicate that error when I test drove again yesterday.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
Also, it was a certified used vehicle from an Infiniti dealer so thought it would have been checked.
If it is a CPO vehicle I assume it came with the warranty in tact. Have you considered going to the dealership and having them troubleshoot and repair under warranty?

·
Registered
858 Posts
All good, not an accusation! But exactly that is the reason why you should give all possible information if you expect helpful advice from the members here!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If it is a CPO vehicle I assume it came with the warranty in tact. Have you considered going to the dealership and having them troubleshoot and repair under warranty?
Yes but I'll have to double-check if it's expired or due to expire soon. I am leery of dealers/service places. They always try and upsell services I KNOW I don't need but there are also things I feel I am at their mercy to get done bc I genuinely don't know.
Example: this wheel bearing that needed to be replaced. They also recommended that I replace my wheels bc they were damaged. I wasn't going to replace them but they gave me the cost. After tires were rotated and wheel bearing replaced, still felt a vibration in the tires/seat a few days later. Remember, I'm not driving much. They left the tire pressures overinflated also at 40 for all 4 wheels. The recommended psi is 35.
So, I decided to get a second opinion. Took the vehicel to another service center, mentioned I hit a pothole. Asked if they could check damage to wheels etc. and mentioned a vibration. They quickly offered to check/balance each wheel. Said nothing was wrong/no damage to the wheels but the weights were thrown off. Balanced weights in all 4 wheels.
Infiniti lied to me about the damage to the wheels AND they never bothered to balance the wheels when they were working on my car. Left tires overinflated.
I am going to Autozone today to have them scan my car before I head over to the dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Went to Advance. The one error code it pulled is C1105. Online says it's the right rear sensor: C1105 Infiniti - Rear Right Sensor 2
Bulletin for 2007-2013 Infinitis: https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2012/SB-10046600-6246.pdf
I'm unsure how it makes sense since the left front wheel bearing was replaced...?
Is this something I can take a look at visually to see if the sensor is in the right place? Or if there is damage to it and needs to be replaced?
Perhaps it's a coincidence or maybe the collision force of the accident caused that wheel sensor to throw a DTC. Replacing these seems to be somewhat common based on other member's posts. Here's where it is located (#4) on the rear differential. You might checked it's connector to see if it is still plugged in (#3) but I doubt that's the problem. I doubt that you'll be able to determine anything visually. Probably best just to replace it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts