Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped to get gas and when I got back in, this was on the display. It also says "low oil pressure" once I shut the car down. I checked the oil and it was full so I drove it home. Now the display lamps on the dash are just staying on, even after locking the car with the fob. So I assume my battery will be dead in the morning as well. Any ideas? This certainly can't be good.

As a side note, and I doubt this is what it is, there is one of those progressive smart drive dingle things plugged onto where you'd plug in a code reader. It has been plugged in for a few weeks. Could that be causing problems? I doubt it but it's wishful thinking I guess.

Attachments

·
Registered
‘14 AWD S 3.7 | FI RHFC | Gemini Invidia CBE | Specialty Z tuned (ecutek)
17 Posts
You can’t really ask these questions without running it through a decent DTC scanner first. More than likely, you’ll find out what your issue is if it’s just a sensor.

The low oil pressure light leads me believe it could be a problem with the ECU (maybe from water damage) as I’ve seen that warning come up with ECU problems.

It also comes up (along with those other warnings) when the ECU is being erased to be flashed with a new ROM (tune)

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car has an ecutek tune but I've always left the way that it came when I got it. There is one of those dongle things plugged into the computer plug- in below the dash that records my driving habits from my insurance company. I wonder if that's causing issues?

What do you think of it possibly being an abs sensor? There is a guy on a q50 page who is saying the exact same thing happened to his and that is what it was. But like you said, without a scan, it could be a bunch of things.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The car has an ecutek tune but I've always left the way that it came when I got it. There is one of those dongle things plugged into the computer plug- in below the dash that records my driving habits from my insurance company. I wonder if that's causing issues?

What do you think of it possibly being an abs sensor? There is a guy on a q50 page who is saying the exact same thing happened to his and that is what it was. But like you said, without a scan, it could be a bunch of things.
If the guy with the ABS problem also had the low oil pressure warning, then perhaps that is the problem.

You can buy a good scanner for less than $100 that will be able to read engine, transmission and ABS DTC’s

Or you can go to your local mechanic and ask him to scan it for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts

I had an ABS sensor issue where 2 of the 3 warnings you have showed up. I didn’t have the oil pressure warning. That’s why I didn’t think it would be an ABS sensor. Usually the ABS sensor will give you: AWD error, Chassis Control error, Sonar malfunction warning like you have.

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,114 Posts
@TO: Check 12v battery performance first before you go deeper. Are you on OEM wheels?

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I found a shop open today and had codes ran. Battery is good, alternator is good. Giving codes p0011 and p0021 banks 1 and 2, intake valve timing control. Here are the car mods: ekutek jb4 437, bms intake, bms heat exchanger, afe exhaust, catted downpipes.

The guy also mentioned to consider exhaust camshaft position sensor and intake camshaft position sensor based on those codes. I am completely at a loss. What do all think?

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
1,114 Posts
Different mods, different codes – tuner or dealer will be your man...

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm trying to locate the jb4 if there is one of the car. The ad for the car said it has one as well as an ecutek tune. Is there anywhere else besides the brake master cylinder box that a jb4 could be located for my model/application? In having electrical issues and want to inspect it if there is one on the car.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
586 Posts
. There is one of those dongle things plugged into the computer plug- in below the dash that records my driving habits from my insurance company. I wonder if that's causing issues?
If you have a JB4, You should see wires running across the top of the engine to the boost sensors that the JB4 plugs into. No way to completely hide them so you can't miss them if they are there.
Having a driving monitor and a Tune+Jb4 do not seem to be a compatible combination! They should have a device to fool those things into reporting nothing but tame, lawful driving!

·
Registered
2017 Q50 Premium Awd
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you have a JB4, You should see wires running across the top of the engine to the boost sensors that the JB4 plugs into. No way to completely hide them so you can't miss them if they are there.
Having a driving monitor and a Tune+Jb4 do not seem to be a compatible combination! They should have a device to fool those things into reporting nothing but tame, lawful driving!
Haha!! So I took the car to nissan to see what they could do. They cleared a total of 61 error codes and also removed the progressive insurance smart drive plug from my obd port. That was on Friday. So far so good. My fingers are crossed that it was the smart drive plug slowly draining my battery. If it comes back, they said i need to take it to Infiniti.

As far as a jb4 goes, I couldn't find one. So it must have been removed prior to me getting the car.

Fingers crossed!!

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,286 Posts
Haha!! So I took the car to nissan to see what they could do. They cleared a total of 61 error codes and also removed the progressive insurance smart drive plug from my obd port. That was on Friday. So far so good. My fingers are crossed that it was the smart drive plug slowly draining my battery. If it comes back, they said i need to take it to Infiniti.

As far as a jb4 goes, I couldn't find one. So it must have been removed prior to me getting the car.

Fingers crossed!!
It's been known that Progressive's Snapshot device causes battery and electrical system problems since 2011. There's a class-action lawsuit filed in Kentucky about it. I wouldn't use one in my car. Besides, what's the point of having a Q50 if you have to drive it like a librarian to save a couple of bucks on insurance?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm trying to locate the jb4 if there is one of the car. The ad for the car said it has one as well as an ecutek tune. Is there anywhere else besides the brake master cylinder box that a jb4 could be located for my model/application? In having electrical issues and want to inspect it if there is one on the car.
I had an electronical issue with my 2018 Q 50 lux. The dealership refuses to verify this, but I recieved a no key detected alert while driving. I pulled over and the car shut off. I had the key in my hand and could not restart it. A friend picked me up and we purchased a new battery for my fob. This did not alleviate the problem. Her husband tested the battery and it was fully charged, however the rear flashers did not work, but the front flashers did. Clearly electrical!

Had my car towed back to the dealership an hour away. In the morning I was told they needed to replace the battery which was covered. I had just purchased this car as certified 4 months previously. Not a great way to start. I no longer feel safe and fear getting stuck on the side of the road alone again. Not a great feeling for a woman.

That being said, as soon as I can dump this car, its gone. This is what I get for switching from lexus! I will go back to a car I can depend on, unlike this infinite.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,286 Posts
So, you bought a 4-year-old car, and something failed after 4 months? That makes it undependable? Why would a dealership refuse to service your car, yet it is a CPO they sold you? Perhaps I don't have the whole story here.

Clearly electrical. Based on what little I have to go on, I'd suspect your car's BCM is the cause of your problem. It controls your Intelligent Key functions AND your emergency flashers. The BCM has separate outputs for each individual light on either side (front turn signal, door mirror turn signal, and rear body side taillight). I would guess that the BCM output for the rear body taillights isn't working properly when you turn on the flashers.

The BCM receives a signal from the key fob via one of the inside key antennas. If the BCM is faulty and doesn't receive the proper signal, it won't let you start the car after you shut it off.

Of course, it could be something simple like a fuse.

Without any DTCs to go on, I'm just making an educated guess that your BCM may be the culprit. Since you're dumping the car anyway, perhaps I'm wasting my time trying to help you.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts