Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last wk two warnings came across my dash: First-Warning AWD Error see owners manual and the other was Warning Malfunction. I was told that I can drive with those warnings. A few days later a light came on stating that my two front tires were low. I didn't have time to get air. Just yesterday the lights went out so I figured it corrected itself. This morning a Warning AWD high temp stop vehicle light came on. I immediately turn the car off. Don't understand because the car was cold from sitting overnight how can it be overheating? I need to take the car to the dealer can I drive with it AWD overheating? Approx. how much to repair? Please help

· Registered
3,000 Posts
What year is the car and how old is the battery?

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Last wk two warnings came across my dash: First-Warning AWD Error see owners manual and the other was Warning Malfunction. I was told that I can drive with those warnings. A few days later a light came on stating that my two front tires were low. I didn't have time to get air. Just yesterday the lights went out so I figured it corrected itself. This morning a Warning AWD high temp stop vehicle light came on. I immediately turn the car off. Don't understand because the car was cold from sitting overnight how can it be overheating? I need to take the car to the dealer can I drive with it AWD overheating? Approx. how much to repair? Please help
You mentioned your front tires were low enough to enable the low tire pressure warning. Did you fill the tires to the proper pressure?

When the AWD Error light comes on, the car will shift to rear wheel drive. I would recommend you take the car in for diagnostics as soon as possible and minimize your driving until you can. There's only about 2 pints of transfer case fluid so it doesn't take long for the transfer case to heat up, especially if there is a problem with the AWD system.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You mentioned your front tires were low enough to enable the low tire pressure warning. Did you fill the tires to the proper pressure?

When the AWD Error light comes on, the car will shift to rear wheel drive. I would recommend you take the car in for diagnostics as soon as possible and minimize your driving until you can. There's only about 2 pints of transfer case fluid so it doesn't take long for the transfer case to heat up, especially if there is a problem with the AWD system.
Hello and thanks for responding. I was going to get air this morning, but when I started the car the AWD overheating warning came on and I turn the car off. I had it towed to Infiniti right after. Any idea as to how much this would cost to fix?

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Hello and thanks for responding. I was going to get air this morning, but when I started the car the AWD overheating warning came on and I turn the car off. I had it towed to Infiniti right after. Any idea as to how much this would cost to fix?
I wouldn't begin to guess how much it will cost to repair. Depends on what's wrong with the AWD system. I was thinking that your low front tire pressures that set off a warning might be causing the transfer case to overheat because of different tire diameters between the front and rear tires. However, I would expect you to see the warning "Tire Size Incorrect" if that was the case. Do post back as to what the dealership finds.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Below are the most common causes of an AWD Temp error, sounds like you already have it off to Infiniti so they will be able to confirm what the problem is. I assume just a wheel speed sensor or very low tire pressure.

Low Tire pressure.
Burn outs/repeated launches of the car by the driver.
Bad wheel speed sensor.
Miss-Matched Wheel sizes.
Parking Brake engaged for extended periods of time.
Battery Issues (unlikely as you have a new one).
Fluid leak in the front/rear differential.

Reactions: Batell

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
I would have recommended that she scan the car for DTCs, but the car is already at the dealership.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't begin to guess how much it will cost to repair. Depends on what's wrong with the AWD system. I was thinking that your low front tire pressures that set off a warning might be causing the transfer case to overheat because of different tire diameters between the front and rear tires. However, I would expect you to see the warning "Tire Size Incorrect" if that was the case. Do post back as to what the dealership finds.
It's crazy that you mentioned that the air pressure was a possible reason for setting off the AWD overheating warning. After googling what the problem could be, I mentioned air pressure to the technician at Infiniti and he laughed as if that was an impossible reason for setting off the warning. My car is no longer under warranty, pretty sure this will be an expensive fix. I will most definitely post updates. Thanks

· Premium Member
'17 AWD Q50SS
810 Posts
I get the error when performing rotations on a snowy surface on a track for an extended period of time. For me, I just let the car cool off for a while, and then go along my merry way

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Below are the most common causes of an AWD Temp error, sounds like you already have it off to Infiniti so they will be able to confirm what the problem is. I assume just a wheel speed sensor or very low tire pressure.

Low Tire pressure.
Burn outs/repeated launches of the car by the driver.
Bad wheel speed sensor.
Miss-Matched Wheel sizes.
Parking Brake engaged for extended periods of time.
Battery Issues (unlikely as you have a new one).
Fluid leak in the front/rear differential.
Geeze.. had no idea low tire pressure would be a big deal. Never will I ignore that warning again. I will post an update as to what the problem was. Thanks

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
It's crazy that you mentioned that the air pressure was a possible reason for setting off the AWD overheating warning. After googling what the problem could be, I mentioned air pressure to the technician at Infiniti and he laughed as if that was an impossible reason for setting off the warning. My car is no longer under warranty, pretty sure this will be an expensive fix. I will most definitely post updates. Thanks
If there is an adequate mismatch between front and rear tire rotational speeds due to tire diameters, you should get a tire size incorrect warning. I can see why the tech might laugh as he would expect the tire size incorrect warning to display instead of what you saw. It could be a wheel speed sensor, AWD control unit, or something else.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Registered
7,054 Posts
Pretty understandable reaction from the tech, as Avedis said a big enough discrepancy between tires could cause it to miss-report but that is probably super rare. Just an easy check thing to check/fix if people encounter the error.

so I received the report from Infiniti.
  • replaced right rear wheel speed senor. Bolt is seized and needed to be torched to be removed. $1012.13
  • AWD service due. $443.49
  • with taxes $1644.41 :rolleyes:
Yeesh how much was the sensor $400-$500? Feel like someone recently ran into the same issue and got charged an arm and the leg for it.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,328 Posts
Pretty understandable reaction from the tech, as Avedis said a big enough discrepancy between tires could cause it to miss-report but that is probably super rare. Just an easy check thing to check/fix if people encounter the error.

Yeesh how much was the sensor $400-$500? Feel like someone recently ran into the same issue and got charged an arm and the leg for it.
A new wheel speed sensor is $282 online at InfinitiPartsDeal.com. Even with a frozen bolt, $1000 is pretty steep considering how simple replacing a rear wheel speed sensor is. I'm assuming the AWD service was simply changing transfer case fluid and for $443, that's excessive also. Gotta love Infiniti dealership repair costs.

· Registered
1,555 Posts
That's insane. No reason it should have costed that much.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
A new wheel speed sensor is $282 online at InfinitiPartsDeal.com. Even with a frozen bolt, $1000 is pretty steep considering how simple replacing a rear wheel speed sensor is. I'm assuming the AWD service was simply changing transfer case fluid and for $443, that's excessive also. Gotta love Infiniti dealership repair costs.
Aye was doing the rough math in my head and couldn't see how that would be more than a $700 including parts/labor. lol

· Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,960 Posts
A word I rarely use..."stealership". If I was quoted a grand for a wheel speed sensor repair, I would stand there and watch them, expecting at least 2.5 hours of sweat-inducing labor.

· Registered
7,054 Posts
A word I rarely use..."stealership". If I was quoted a grand for a wheel speed sensor repair, I would stand there and watch them, expecting at least 2.5 hours of sweat-inducing labor.
I'd be expecting a good 6-7 hours. lol

Reactions: MMQ50 and Pillboy
1 - 20 of 33 Posts