Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
When I had help from my neighbor removing/installing the rear diff (for the Quaife LSD), I told him not to sneeze on either speed sensor, as Infiniti prices them like gold. I guess I wasn't that far off... smh

• Haha
Reactions: BigHeadClan

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
A new wheel speed sensor is $282 online at InfinitiPartsDeal.com. Even with a frozen bolt, $1000 is pretty steep considering how simple replacing a rear wheel speed sensor is. I'm assuming the AWD service was simply changing transfer case fluid and for $443, that's excessive also. Gotta love Infiniti dealership repair costs.
Yes I thought so as well. I had the senor replaced because I need my car. I'm seriously considering trading it in, so I didn't get the 60,000 mile AWD service. Since I paid my car off it seems everything is going wrong with it.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
A word I rarely use..."stealership". If I was quoted a grand for a wheel speed sensor repair, I would stand there and watch them, expecting at least 2.5 hours of sweat-inducing labor.
Yes I agree. I had no choice than to take it to the dealer. No one else had the machine to check for codes. (Don't know the name of it lol)

· Registered
765 Posts
Yes I agree. I had no choice than to take it to the dealer. No one else had the machine to check for codes. (Don't know the name of it lol)
For future reference, any auto parts store can do it. Also, cheap on Amazon you can order the tool yourself ab $25 so you can do it yourself (very easy just plug it in under the steerign wheel) Mine sits in my trunk, just in case I or a friend need it while out.

· Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For future reference, any auto parts store can do it. Also, cheap on Amazon you can order the tool yourself ab $25 so you can do it yourself (very easy just plug it in under the steerign wheel) Mine sits in my trunk, just in case I or a friend need it while out.
Wow thanks so much.

· Registered
7,059 Posts

Just to be clear most of the cheaper Scan tools DO NOT allow you to check codes for TPMS or wheel speed sensors. You usually need to throw down $150-$300 for ones that can actually scan the entire system and perform basic functions.

That said still handy to have on hand if a code/warning comes up on the dash and you aren't sure why.

· Registered
765 Posts
Just to be clear most of the cheaper Scan tools DO NOT allow you to check codes for TPMS or wheel speed sensors. You usually need to throw down $150-$300 for ones that can actually scan the entire system and perform basic functions.

That said still handy to have on hand if a code/warning comes up on the dash and you aren't sure why.
Really? Wouldn't it just come up as a standard code, or at least just give you the code# to check?

· Registered
7,059 Posts
Really? Wouldn't it just come up as a standard code, or at least just give you the code# to check?
Nah its one of the area's where most scan tools cut corners and you don't get the feature.

· Registered
7,059 Posts
Learn something new everyday, might look into grabbing one. Being the "diagnostic fee" is what $180? Could pay for itself with a use or two.
From a dealer? Yeah like $100-$200 diagnostic charge pretty typical, honestly its pretty easy to justify going with a higher end scan tool if you do your own car work.
I have just a blue-driver adapter and phone app and it gets plenty of use by friends and family.

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Yes I thought so as well. I had the senor replaced because I need my car. I'm seriously considering trading it in, so I didn't get the 60,000 mile AWD service. Since I paid my car off it seems everything is going wrong with it.
I don't think everything is going wrong with it. AWD service is recommended maintenance. It usually entails replacing both front and rear differential fluid and the transfer case fluid. Not sure why folks on here are assuming it is just the transfer case.

· Registered
2015 Black Infiniti Q50 3.7
1 Posts
I got the AWD Warning last night when I started my car. I drove to the store and then back home and it was on the whole time (normal weather). This morning there was nothing at all, is it possible a speed sensor is about to go bad/is bad?

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,367 Posts
I got the AWD Warning last night when I started my car. I drove to the store and then back home and it was on the whole time (normal weather). This morning there was nothing at all, is it possible a speed sensor is about to go bad/is bad?
Hard to say. It could be a temporary fault. I would suggest if it happens again, scan the car for DTCs before shutting off the engine and see if you have any. Cyclling the ignition can clear temporary DTCs.

Reactions: Davisrt8

· Registered
1,562 Posts

OBDII ELM327 w/ OBD Fusion app >>>>>> scan tools

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,367 Posts
21 - 37 of 37 Posts