Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What (and why) do you prefer in Infiniti q50 - awd or rwd?

At the moment I rather will choose RWD becouse of acceleration (100km/h: 5.1sec vs 5.4sec) and estimated fuel consumption (per 100km: 6.2 vs 6.8 liter).

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Depends on need really. I like in the Mid-west (US) and we get mild winters, but, we don't get enough snow to get it moved quick enough. I wanted AWD in this vehicle so that it's one less thing to worry about, and luckily, we have had a ton of snow this winter, and I haven't had a single issue.

If you don't have many issues with it, get the RWD and have an easier time with maintenance as well, less things to go wrong.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got my G37 in AWD form and semi-regret it. Since I rarely end up driving it in the snow, 90% of the time Im just carting around extra weight (for less mpg, slightly less performance). The thing that gets me is how much it feels like the front end wants to "push", presumably because of the extra weight.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get RWD and a spare set of rear wheels with Blizzaks. If I were to buy a car for my wife, she would get AWD.

As far as 5.4 vs 5.1 second 0-60, around here it would make just about zero difference. The car (even in AWD) is so fast that by the time I accelerated up to 60 I would be on someone else's tail. To me its just nice knowing what it can do, and have fun throwing it through the turns regardless of how fast I can get to 60 mph.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got my G37 in AWD form and semi-regret it. Since I rarely end up driving it in the snow, 90% of the time Im just carting around extra weight (for less mpg, slightly less performance). The thing that gets me is how much it feels like the front end wants to "push", presumably because of the extra weight.

If I were to do it all over again, I would get RWD and a spare set of rear wheels with Blizzaks. If I were to buy a car for my wife, she would get AWD.

As far as 5.4 vs 5.1 second 0-60, around here it would make just about zero difference. The car (even in AWD) is so fast that by the time I accelerated up to 60 I would be on someone else's tail. To me its just nice knowing what it can do, and have fun throwing it through the turns regardless of how fast I can get to 60 mph.
you know putting winter tires on just the rear wheels is pretty stupid right?

·
Registered
324 Posts
I went with the AWD because I live smack in the middle of the Northeast/Mid-Atlantic winter storm ground zero zone. All those storms that have hit the area this winter passed directly over my house. Ot is also a very hilly area. As a healthcare professional, I dont have the choice to simply not go to work during inclement weather. I also appreciate the grip the AWD offers. Dramatic spirited driving is not compatible with a toddler in a car seat.

The 350Z with traction control plus Blizzak tires on the stock rims actually met almost all my needs with the exception of the blizzard in 2010, but then even Hummers were having a tough time. Thankfully, the Q AWD Sport is still fun to drive when the rare occasion presents itself.

·
Registered
444 Posts
AWD = resale value up in a snowy climate. it runs like 85% power to the rear anyway. You won't see an MPG increase or decrease. It is such a small difference driving style will be the real MPG impact.

I'd take AWD just because it essentially acts like a RWD until I need the power distributed. I would hate to get stuck on a hill in icy or heavy snow conditions without it. That would be plain stupid avoidable and stupid.

Both models are really fast. Unless you are bracket racing it at the track every weekend the acceleration argument is bunk. Because everyone I know can tell the difference of 0.3 seconds...... LOL. If you aren't racing consistently you won't be able to replicate the "faster" RWD specs...ever... Your reaction time plays a MUCH bigger part than RWD vs AWD.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I'm torn between the two myself as I have not bought the car yet. Probably will wait until 2015 model to not deal with SW bugs but I digress. I live in Virginia and we get little snow (except this winter) but pretty cold. I like the fact that AWD comes with heated steering wheel. My current G is RWD and is perfectly fine driving wise but I do like that heated wheel idea :)

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
AWD. I live in NY, we had enough snow this year alone to justify it.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
I wouldn't recommend this approach. It will get you going, but won't help you stopping. Get all 4.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
For me, getting AWD has already been worth it after only one winter of having my car, and that doesn't mean I'll be complaining if it doesn't snow at all next winter either.

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
I live in Dallas now so I didn't see a need for AWD. Though being from Chicago, if I was back home, I would absolutely get the AWD, just like my last car--G37x. Solely depends on region in my book.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
RWD unless you live somewhere snow is a problem. In the US, AWD cars in the South are rare as hen's teeth, same goes for RWD cars in the North.

Pretty much anywhere south of the Mason Dixon line, AWD are rare and pointless. More weight, drivetrain power loss, additional mechanical complication and just about zero practical benefit.

Since you're measuring in metric, you're anywhere BUT the US, so whatever the weather does there, choose based on that.

Edit: Chicagokevo, welcome to Dallas. We should have an off-topic on places to eat and drink around here.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like AWD. Not just for snow and ice, but for rain too. I live in the northeast and we get plenty of everything.

Plus you just never know when you travel what you will run into. I ran into a freak snow storm in Arizona once in April while traveling. Having a car that would get through that kept us on track for our destination.

Plus like how the AWD feels. I may be crazy, but it feels like it has more torque and sticks to the road during acceleration etc. That could just be my imagination though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.