Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the AWD Q50 turn to RWD after a certain speed?

I used to have an 08 G35x that I sold in 2010 and have had a truck up until I bought my AWD Q50. (Long story on selling my G to get a truck, but I’m glad to be back in an Infiniti.) I remember reading on one of the G35 forms that after a set speed, the car switched to RWD. (Except when in snow mode.)

Any idea if that’s the same for the Q? We haven’t had any snow in eastern South Dakota for me to play in yet and I don’t want to test this out on a gravel road.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey Pete - All the AWD models on the Infiniti's starting from 03 model until now work pretty much the same. The car uses its rear wheels for all dry surfaces. If and when needed, due to changing road conditions, the car shifts power equally across the front and rear wheels to allow the AWD system to kick off. The transition is pretty much seamless and you won't know when it kicks on. The snow mode on the Q50 just controls the engine throttle so that your rear tires don't over spin as you try to get out if you're stuck - hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Hey Pete - All the AWD models on the Infiniti's starting from 03 model until now work pretty much the same. The car uses its rear wheels for all dry surfaces. If and when needed, due to changing road conditions, the car shifts power equally across the front and rear wheels to allow the AWD system to kick off. The transition is pretty much seamless and you won't know when it kicks on. The snow mode on the Q50 just controls the engine throttle so that your rear tires don't over spin as you try to get out if you're stuck - hope this helps.
Yes, it's called Intelligent All Wheel Drive.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Yeah and this definitely helps the performance of the car when AWD is not needed on dry surfaces.

·
Registered
309 Posts
do you know what the percentage of power is like for the front and back? 70/30? 80/20? 60/40?
There really is not set base and it actually changes all the time based on steering angle as well. I have sat in the passenger seat of several cars watching the computer do its' thing while being driven on the highway and it really does constantly vary the duty cycle to the control clutch, as for percentages I am not clear (enough to post) if this model uses anything different than previous models.

I've always been a fan of how quiet they get the job done even in (fairly) deep snow (of course with the right tires).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.