Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, looking for help trying to upgrade my 2015 Q50S stock exhaust (axle-back)... also my first mod. Are there any exhaust cheaper than $600 that are worth looking into? I love how the helmholtz sounds but can't justify the cost to the wife. I was looking at the rev9 but saw some posts warning about the type of metal it is and that it will corrode. I live in NY and the car is my daily driver. I don't like muffler delete cause it's too loud for my taste. I like the helmholtz cause it's loud when it needs to be. Please advise, I'm new to this and don't know much. (Hopefully the cheaper it is I can add diffuser and splitter馃槉)

Registered
Oh god, another one that needs approval from the wife. I would sell her car and use the money to drop a SuperCharger on your Q. Trust me, she will respect you more after. I'd also go with a loud exhaust, that way when she complains about the money you've spent you can just floor it and drown out the noise. I've had 3 successful marriages I know of what I speak.

lol, I'm just kidding I haven't been married 3 times. I always have to bust balls when someone mentions that the wife won't like it, I'm just having fun with you and I'm bored at work. Other than that I have nothing to contribute. Some serious modders on this forum will chime in with useful knowledge shortly.

I'm actually looking at the Infiniti sport exhaust myself, but it's over $600.

Registered
Screw it! Put a full FI exhaust system in it for $3400. It's fairly quiet except cold start. She may not notice it. But you get 2 MPG and a good amount of power!
How long have you been married? Lol. When you get things you want to just divide by 2 (or more). Worked for me!

Registered
Maybe I'm missing something but Rev9 doesn't have exhausts for the Q50 from what I can see on their website.

Registered
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I'm missing something but Rev9 doesn't have exhausts for the Q50 from what I can see on their website.
I didn't check their site but they have axle back exhaust going for $350-400. It's called Flowmaxx, CB-1004

Registered
I of course need to run everything expensive by the wife (and vise versa). But she has been incredibly supportive of modding the Q50 so far. I think a lot of it is because I finally agreed to sell a rental property we had. I wanted to keep it as a rental. She begged me to sell it. This went on for years. I caved. We cleared $60k after fees and taxes.

Registered
I didn't check their site but they have axle back exhaust going for $350-400. It's called Flowmaxx, CB-1004
Personally, I wouldn't buy an exhaust unless it is made of T304 SS or better. That Flowmaxx is made of T201 SS. While T201 SS has a higher tensile strength than T304 SS and can be made thinner, it has a lot lower nickel content than T304 SS. As a result, it's corrosion resistance isn't good and when exposed to road salts it will eventually corrode. T201 SS is mainly used for making cookware, cooking utensils, sinks and other restaurant equipment. It is a lot cheaper than T304 SS because of its low nickel content.

Registered
I'm willing to bet our stock exhaust is T409 stainless. (Avedis53 confirm?)
Also one to stay away from if you live in the snow/rust belt.

I could not believe the extent of the rust that had formed on my stock exhaust in less than 40K miles before I pulled it for the ARK Grip. (T304 SS)

Registered
My OEM at 4 months old had lots of surface rust. The wields were badly rusted and pitted. It saw only 2 hrs of salt spray as in the mountains on the way home I had a few spots with snow. A spring squal. I washed it after too.
Pics in my Q50 album: https://ibb.co/album/f2HnDv
Or: https://ibb.co/7p3cwkK

Registered
I'm willing to bet our stock exhaust is T409 stainless. (Avedis53 confirm?)
Also one to stay away from if you live in the snow/rust belt.

I could not believe the extent of the rust that had formed on my stock exhaust in less than 40K miles before I pulled it for the ARK Grip. (T304 SS)
If it's T201 or T304 SS, a magnet will not stick to it. If it's T409 SS, a magnet will stick. I'm pretty sure the OEM exhaust is T409 SS. You can test it to see!

Registered
If it's T201 or T304 SS, a magnet will not stick to it. If it's T409 SS, a magnet will stick. I'm pretty sure the OEM exhaust is T409 SS. You can test it to see!
Any idea what material the Infiniti sport exhaust uses?

Registered

Registered
Yep, did that when it came off!
Magnet sticks VERY well to stock exhaust.
Only place it didn't was the tips.

As a side note, it should be mentioned that a magnet will have a relatively weak attraction to T304 in areas where it was cold-worked (usually a radius / bend) or near a weld. On straight sections of tubing there is absolutely zero magnetic attraction.

Registered
Yep, did that when it came off!
Magnet sticks VERY well to stock exhaust.
Only place it didn't was the tips.

As a side note, it should be mentioned that a magnet will have a relatively weak attraction to T304 in areas where it was cold-worked (usually a radius / bend) or near a weld. On straight sections of tubing there is absolutely zero magnetic attraction.
Weld metals made with filler metal compositions matching the 300 series austenitic steels (e.g. 308, 309, 316 and 347 types) are designed to have a small fraction of delta ferrite phase, typically around 5-15%, to reduce significantly the risk of solidification cracking, which exists for purely austenitic compositions. The delta ferrite phase has a body centered cubic (bcc) structure, which has 'ferromagnetic' properties (i.e. typical magnetic properties, as associated with, for example, mild steels, carbon steels and low alloy steels).

Some delta ferrite may form also in autogenous weld metal (i.e. parent metal which is fused without filler metal addition) and the high temperature heat affected zone of a weld, where partial transformation to delta ferrite can occur on heating and where cooling is too rapid for full re-transformation. Hence, overall, welds in many of the 300 series austenitic stainless steels, made with no filler or approximately matching filler will typically show mildly magnetic properties.

Registered
I considered explaining the "why" of 304 magnetic attraction in certain areas and conditions, but figured
1) you could and would do it better and
2) you couldn't resist. ;) :D

Registered
Wosh <the sound of most of that flying over my head> 馃

1 - 20 of 23 Posts