Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into buying either a 2015 with DAS and AVM/safety features or a 2016 3.0t with DAS and AVM/safety features. After perusing the forums, it seems the cameras stink compared to other (older) cars and also handicaps how well those safety features perform.

1. Is it true the backup camera is WORSE on higher trims (with DAS and AVM)?
  2. Is it true the cameras that help power the AVM are terrible at night? In other words, AVM, Lane assistance, Intelligent Cruise Control, etc. are all handicapped by the poor cameras?
  3. Are there any aftermarket upgrades to replace the cameras themselves?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
I'm looking into buying either a 2015 with DAS and AVM/safety features or a 2016 3.0t with DAS and AVM/safety features. After perusing the forums, it seems the cameras stink compared to other (older) cars and also handicaps how well those safety features perform.

1. Is it true the backup camera is WORSE on higher trims (with DAS and AVM)?
  2. Is it true the cameras that help power the AVM are terrible at night? In other words, AVM, Lane assistance, Intelligent Cruise Control, etc. are all handicapped by the poor cameras?
  3. Are there any aftermarket upgrades to replace the cameras themselves?
1. No. The backup camera is equally marginal on all trims. My Mazda3 has a better backup camera.

2. Yes. The cameras are marginal at night but they are for the Around View Monitoring. It could affect the MOD detection. However, the cameras aren't used for BCI, ICC, FEB, BSW, BSI, DCA or PFCW. Those safety features use sonar and radar. The ALC, LDW and LDP camera is different and is located up by the rear view mirror.

3. Not that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
716 Posts
#3 ) A couple members on the FB group I'm on, upgraded their back up cams to some aftermarket China HD cam. Wider and clear view but end of day, its a back up camera. Your not watching HD movies on it so if ur concerned about the quality of the camera, get a Mazda or Ford or Honda. All those have better quality cams.

Reactions: mva

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
All four Around View Monitor System cameras are identical. They all have 1 3/8" CMOS sensors that have approximately 1,280,000 pixels (1296 x 985). The minimum detectable brightness of the cameras is 2 lux. They have an angle of view of 154 degrees horizontal by 96 degrees vertical. The only difference is the rear camera has a mirror processing function so that the mirror image is sent to the display as if it is viewed by a rear view mirror.

If you don't have Around View but only the backup camera, the rear camera is different. It has a 1/4" interline color CCD that only has 250,000 pixels (504 x 485). It has 1 lux minimum brightness and an angle of view of 130.5 degrees horizontal by 92 degrees vertical. It also has the mirror processing function.

I suppose one could install better low-lux cameras but I'm not sure that higher resolution cameras would be of any benefit as both the 8" and 7" VGA displays only have 800 x 480 pixel resolution. The replacement HD camera I saw in a YouTube video was connected to the Tesla display which has a higher resolution than the OEM displays.

·
Registered
649 Posts
1. No. The backup camera is equally marginal on all trims. My Mazda3 has a better backup camera.
Just about every car on the road has a better camera system than the Q50.

Hopefully they not only update the camera in the displays the give you the option of selecting individual views as well. There's no reason you should not be able to look at individual sides based on a selection within a menu

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
The backup camera is great during the day. I just hate it at night. It is practically useless in the dark.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
There are visible light/IR cameras that conceivably could work but they would require some mounting modifications.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
There are visible light/IR cameras that conceivably could work but they would require some mounting modifications.
I'm wondering if better backup lighting would help?

Maybe the Android has some thoughts on this. This is one item that I hate more than DAS.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
I'm wondering if better backup lighting would help?

Maybe the Android has some thoughts on this. This is one item that I hate more than DAS.
The backup LED bulbs are not replaceable so that's not an option. Unless you want to put a light bar somewhere on the back, I don't know of any way to increase the lumens for the backup camera to see better.

An IR camera with emitters would be interesting to adapt to the backup camera system but compatibility and fitment will be a problem.

The other Around View cameras on the mirrors might benefit from LED strips mounted like ground effects lighting that are switched.

I don't see anything made for the Q50 to improve brightness for backing up.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
4,622 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but the backup camera is horrid. My G37IPL had a much better backup camera. I have thought of adding an additional LED bar, but mounting it may be difficult as there is mostly plastic in the area. Adding more light is the best solution IMHO.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
If one of you guys figures out better lighting for night-time backing up, please oh please let us know the details.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Wasn’t aware of that. So if one goes out you have to replace the whole lense?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's my understanding. Same way with the headlights.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
Not to beat a dead horse, but the backup camera is horrid. My G37IPL had a much better backup camera. I have thought of adding an additional LED bar, but mounting it may be difficult as there is mostly plastic in the area. Adding more light is the best solution IMHO.
+1 my G37 has a much nice backup camera and is totally usable at night, as said above best fix for the visibility at night would be to add more light.
Although rather than a light bar I'd suggest looking at LED replacement bulbs for around the license plate.

That may provide enough illumination for the camera and you don't need to worry about cutting/replacing anything on the body.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Upgrade the rear licence plate lights to brighter LEDS. It will drastically change how the camera performs at night.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Upgrade the rear licence plate lights to brighter LEDS. It will drastically change how the camera performs at night.
That's what I'm thinking would work best without cracking open the rear tail lights to jury-rig a brighter backup bulb. Sounds like you've done this already. What bulbs did you use? How did you access the backup bulbs?

·
Registered
716 Posts
That's what I'm thinking would work best without cracking open the rear tail lights to jury-rig a brighter backup bulb. Sounds like you've done this already. What bulbs did you use? How did you access the backup bulbs?
I replaced mine with these kind of bulbs. Not same brand but same style of bulb. I've gone through so many LED SMD bulbs from various vendors from China. Some with 5 LEDS, some with 8 LEDS, they all burn out after a few months. But at $5-8 for 5-10 bulbs I aint complaining. Only shitty thing is, since I've replaced the bulb so much, the tabs on the housing cracked from repeated installs. But I just double sided 3M tape it back to the trunk lid. No issues. I've found that SMDs are the way to go vs LEDS now. And there is different brightness for SMDS as well, find the newest and brightest one.

https://www.amazon.ca/LncBoc-Canbus...=led+194+smd&qid=1559050747&s=gateway&sr=8-12

And if your asking how I accessed the plate lights?

https://q50tech.blogspot.com/2013/09/replacing-q50-lights-with-leds.html Instructions at the bottom of the page

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
I replaced mine with these kind of bulbs. Not same brand but same style of bulb. I've gone through so many LED SMD bulbs from various vendors from China. Some with 5 LEDS, some with 8 LEDS, they all burn out after a few months. But at $5-8 for 5-10 bulbs I aint complaining. Only shitty thing is, since I've replaced the bulb so much, the tabs on the housing cracked from repeated installs. But I just double sided 3M tape it back to the trunk lid. No issues. I've found that SMDs are the way to go vs LEDS now. And there is different brightness for SMDS as well, find the newest and brightest one.

https://www.amazon.ca/LncBoc-Canbus...=led+194+smd&qid=1559050747&s=gateway&sr=8-12

And if your asking how I accessed the plate lights?

https://q50tech.blogspot.com/2013/09/replacing-q50-lights-with-leds.html Instructions at the bottom of the page
If money was not an object and I wanted my bulbs to last much longer, would you mind pointing me to a quality LED?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts