Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
What year is your Q50? Did it have LED license plate bulbs already and you replaced with brighter LED bulbs? That article about replacing bulbs with LEDs was written back in 2013 when the license plate bulbs were not LEDs. My understanding of the Q50 is that prior to 2016, the license plate bulbs were W5W bulbs and not LEDs. From 2016 on, they were LED bulbs that are not replaceable. Hopefully, I'm wrong and a higher lumen LED bulb can be simply plugged in.

You do realize that a SMD-based bulb is still a LED? It just a LED that is designed as a surface mounted device. No cathode or anode leads is the only difference. The brightness is determined by the number of SMD LEDs that are mounted in the bulb. A 6-SMD bulb will be brighter than a 4-SMD bulb. The bulbs you referenced are only 2-SMD LED bulbs (2835). A 5730 6-SMD LED bulb is what I'd like to put in or even a 5730 10-SMD bulb if it will fit. Many times brighter than the 2835 but I don't think a 2018 license plate LED is plug and play so it may be moot.

·
Registered
716 Posts
If money was not an object and I wanted my bulbs to last much longer, would you mind pointing me to a quality LED?
Phillips LEDs

or something from V LEDS

What year is your Q50? Did it have LED license plate bulbs already and you replaced with brighter LED bulbs? That article about replacing bulbs with LEDs was written back in 2013 when the license plate bulbs were not LEDs. My understanding of the Q50 is that prior to 2016, the license plate bulbs were W5W bulbs and not LEDs. From 2016 on, they were LED bulbs that are not replaceable. Hopefully, I'm wrong and a higher lumen LED bulb can be simply plugged in.

You do realize that a SMD-based bulb is still a LED? It just a LED that is designed as a surface mounted device. No cathode or anode leads is the only difference. The brightness is determined by the number of SMD LEDs that are mounted in the bulb. A 6-SMD bulb will be brighter than a 4-SMD bulb. The bulbs you referenced are only 2-SMD LED bulbs (2835). A 5730 6-SMD LED bulb is what I'd like to put in or even a 5730 10-SMD bulb if it will fit. Many times brighter than the 2835 but I don't think a 2018 license plate LED is plug and play so it may be moot.
Mines a 17 and it def did not have LEDS in the plate lights. It was just regular 194/168 5W peanut bulb. And it was yellowish in color. Changing the bulbs to bright white LEDs changes how the car looks at night now. Why Infiniti used crappy halogens on that area but everything else LEDS is boggling.

As for your LED thing, shrugs, sure. You seem like you know what your talking about so I'll agree. But in terms of actual usage, my 2 SMD bulbs, in my eyes, were brighter than the 6 SMD bulbs I used previously. But pretty sure the 6 SMD used the lower wattage leds vs the 2 SMD ones.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
If money was not an object and I wanted my bulbs to last much longer, would you mind pointing me to a quality LED?
PrecisionLED has quality LED bulb packages for the Q50 and include their Premium 360 3D LEDs (5730 SMD) that are twice as bright as the 5050 SMD LEDs. They also have a lifetime warranty and come with a free 3 pc. trim tool set for popping off lamp covers. They are expensive though.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
PrecisionLED has quality LED bulb packages for the Q50 and include their Premium 360 3D LEDs (5730 SMD) that are twice as bright as the 5050 SMD LEDs. They also have a lifetime warranty and come with a free 3 pc. trim tool set for popping off lamp covers. They are expensive though.
I remember you posted a while back that you replaced all your LED bulbs with PrecisionLED.

I am now curious to know if we can replace the license plate LED and with which quality product?

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
I remember you posted a while back that you replaced all your LED bulbs with PrecisionLED.

I am now curious to know if we can replace the license plate LED and with which quality product?
djrice123 confirmed what I wasn't sure of. The license plate bulbs on the 2018 Q50 are already LEDs unlike the previous years and are not replaceable. I suppose one could take the LED housing out, crack it open and see how to retrofit it with a brighter bulb but if it isn't plug and play, I'll pass.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
LED bulbs are relatively cheap to manufacture and far more durable than a florescent bulb, I'd say you don't have much to worry about even if you buy from a random
Chinese manufacture.

But you can try the below link, appears to be compatible across all Q50's and it's a full kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Infiniti-Interior-Package-Lights/dp/B0150ZWRQY#customerReviews

Reactions: jodedor

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
So just to confirm, 2017 and older models have bulbs while 2018 and up have LEDs already. This is for license plate lights, in case this thread gets derailed at some point.

·
Registered
471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
LED bulbs are relatively cheap to manufacture and far more durable than a florescent bulb, I'd say you don't have much to worry about even if you buy from a random
Chinese manufacture.

But you can try the below link, appears to be compatible across all Q50's and it's a full kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Partsam-Infiniti-Interior-Package-Lights/dp/B0150ZWRQY#customerReviews
For some reason, in the check fitment location it said it is not compatible with my car.

https://www.diodedynamics.com/194-hp5-led-one.html Thanks for the link, but for some reason it says incompatible with my 2018 in the check fitment location. I just want to get better lighting for the backup camera at night.

Diode Dynamics makes their bulbs in house and has a 3 year warranty. They are stupid bright and create a nice pure white color. To top it off, their customer service is excellent. I can't recommend these guys enough.
Thanks for the link. I see they only have door lights for Q60. Nothing listed for Q50.

I called them. The rep cross referenced with Phillips and said they have a 194 in their interior lighting section. HP2 (2 LED), HP3 (3 LED), HP5 (3 very bright LED). His first suggestion was to make sure I can get in there. If anyone with a 2018 can get in there, let me know.

I may get around to it one of these days.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
So just to confirm, 2017 and older models have bulbs while 2018 and up have LEDs already. This is for license plate lights, in case this thread gets derailed at some point.
Yes. 2017 and earlier models use a 5 Watt W5W bulb.

Derailed threads?!? Blasphemy!

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
For some reason, in the check fitment location it said it is not compatible with my car.

Thanks for the link. I see they only have door lights for Q60. Nothing listed for Q50.

I called them. The rep cross referenced with Phillips and said they have a 194 in their interior lighting section. HP2 (2 LED), HP3 (3 LED), HP5 (3 very bright LED). His first suggestion was to make sure I can get in there. If anyone with a 2018 can get in there, let me know.

I may get around to it one of these days.
I guess I'm taking Infiniti at their word that you can't change just the license plate LED bulbs. The cross-referencing is most likely for older Q50's without LEDs. But if someone finds a solution for brighter backup camera lighting, I'm in.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Totally DGAF! LoL

Speaking of, has anyone tried the DGAF meal at burger king yet?
I had to look it up. It is a real meal. Anything for free advertising, I guess.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have had 5, G37 and Q50 models (2009 - 2018)

While the camera at night is not as good as during the day, I have not seen any differences between the various trim levels I have had.
All in all, it is very useful andy only one feature of what I believe is a marvelous brand!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts

While the camera at night is not as good as during the day, I have not seen any differences between the various trim levels I have had.
All in all, it is very useful andy only one feature of what I believe is a marvelous brand!
My wife's Mazda3 has better backup camera resolution and low-light capability than the Q and it was 1/3 the cost.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts

Careful, your reasonable and level-headed assessment might get frowned upon here. There seems to be a recent trend lately to pile on over every little issue that is brought up here. I'm surprised helterstupid hasn't crapped on this thread yet ;)

I'm with you that I find the car and the brand excellent. Could the camera be better? Sure, but I find that it meets my needs, especially considering that these aren't SUV's with horrible sight lines. I'm sure Infiniti has camera improvement on their list for their new designs forthcoming over the upcoming years.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
My wife's Mazda3 has better backup camera resolution and low-light capability than the Q and it was 1/3 the cost.
Hah the last gen G37 has a better backup Camera I'd say, zero visibility issues at night and decent resolution.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Hah the last gen G37 has a better backup Camera I'd say, zero visibility issues at night and decent resolution.
Yeah, if I remember correctly it did but it still wasn't as good as the Mazda's. I wonder if the wife would notice if I could switch cameras.

·
Premium Member
2,656 Posts
Yeah, if I remember correctly it did but it still wasn't as good as the Mazda's. I wonder if the wife would notice if I could switch cameras.
I'd be the Mazda's wasn't as good as my Subaru.

·
Registered
5,345 Posts
I'd hope Mazda's new Sedan has a better back-up Camera than a car from 10 years ago! I'm curious if the old camera are compatible with the Q50 myself...

21 - 40 of 56 Posts