Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So just to confirm, 2017 and older models have bulbs while 2018 and up have LEDs already. This is for license plate lights, in case this thread gets derailed at some point.
Can anyone confirm if swapping out the peanut 5w bulb over to LEDs improved the backup camera lighting?

Some other posts talked about resolution (i.e. the "sharpness" of the image) but it isn't a concern IMO. Being able to see any image at night (i.e. camera lux) is the true priority.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Can anyone confirm if swapping out the peanut 5w bulb over to LEDs improved the backup camera lighting?

Some other posts talked about resolution (i.e. the "sharpness" of the image) but it isn't a concern IMO. Being able to see any image at night (i.e. camera lux) is the true priority.
The LED backup lights on the current Q50s don't help with nighttime backup camera visibility so unless you put in an LED bulb that outputs a lot more lumens then it won't help much. The cameras have a 1 lux rating.

·
Registered
2 Posts
All four Around View Monitor System cameras are identical. They all have 1 3/8" CMOS sensors that have approximately 1,280,000 pixels (1296 x 985). The minimum detectable brightness of the cameras is 2 lux. They have an angle of view of 154 degrees horizontal by 96 degrees vertical. The only difference is the rear camera has a mirror processing function so that the mirror image is sent to the display as if it is viewed by a rear view mirror.

If you don't have Around View but only the backup camera, the rear camera is different. It has a 1/4" interline color CCD that only has 250,000 pixels (504 x 485). It has 1 lux minimum brightness and an angle of view of 130.5 degrees horizontal by 92 degrees vertical. It also has the mirror processing function.

I suppose one could install better low-lux cameras but I'm not sure that higher resolution cameras would be of any benefit as both the 8" and 7" VGA displays only have 800 x 480 pixel resolution. The replacement HD camera I saw in a YouTube video was connected to the Tesla display which has a higher resolution than the OEM displays.
Hello! Could you please share the link to the replacement video? Thanks fariasjl at gmail

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Hello! Could you please share the link to the replacement video? Thanks fariasjl at gmail
What are you considering doing?

·
Registered
2 Posts
What are you considering doing?
Have a 2016 Hybrid Q50S equipped with AVM. Can’t see neither at night nor when very sunny. Would like to change the upper screen with some kind of car stereo/android tablet (not the “Tesla” type from Phoenix since it’s very expensive) and upgrade all cameras. Suggestions? Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
Have a 2016 Hybrid Q50S equipped with AVM. Can’t see neither at night nor when very sunny. Would like to change the upper screen with some kind of car stereo/android tablet (not the “Tesla” type from Phoenix since it’s very expensive) and upgrade all cameras. Suggestions? Thanks!
The OEM cameras having crappy resolution and poor low light sensitivity. If the service manual is accurate and you only have the rear view monitor system with one camera, you get a real poor camera. It's stated resolution is 504 x 485 with a 1 lux sensitivity.

If you have AVM with four cameras, you get better resolution (1296 x 985) but even poorer low light sensitivity (2 lux).

The DCU (top display) is VGA (800 x 480). Nowhere near HD resolution.

Obviously, this OEM hardware isn't even remotely HD (1920 x 1080) and the low light sensitivity should be 0.1 lux or lower for the cameras. That's why the picture quality sucks and you can't see squat at night.

There are a lot of obstacles to do what you are proposing. Finding good HD car cameras isn't so hard, it's finding ones that will fit this car and look OEM and I haven't seen any yet. Another unknown is the AVM control unit. Will it handle HD? I have no idea. Of course, you'll have to replace the DCU with an HD display that will accept the camera images, display the guiding lines properly and probably a whole bunch of other issues I haven't brought up.

I wouldn't recommend trying to do what you are proposing.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
can we just swap on the G37 camera? The plug looks like they are exactly the same.
The harness connecter for the G37 backup camera has 4 wires. The harness connector for the Q50 backup camera has 5 wires. The cameras have different part numbers. I doubt that would work.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The harness connecter for the G37 backup camera has 4 wires. The harness connector for the Q50 backup camera has 5 wires. The cameras have different part numbers. I doubt that would work.
I modded the g37 camera onto my Honda Ridgeline tailgate handle years ago with a Kenwood head unit. 2 wires are for the rca video signal, the other are positive and ground. I wonder if the 5th wire for the q50 can just be left unused.

·
Registered
5 Posts
i Just checked on eBay, and I think the one with 5 wires is for the around view system. The camera for the regular reverse only has 4. I could be wrong, but I will take the trunk apart when it’s a little warmer out and give it a shot

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
i Just checked on eBay, and I think the one with 5 wires is for the around view system. The camera for the regular reverse only has 4. I could be wrong, but I will take the trunk apart when it’s a little warmer out and give it a shot
After reviewing this again, the rear view monitor system (not around view) does have 4 wires. It may work but my question would be: What benefit do you expect to gain by doing so? The rear view camera specs (not the around view cameras, which are different) are 504 x 485 resolution and 1 lux minimum brightness. Your DCU is still VGA so I doubt the image would improve. However, if the replacement camera has a better low-light capability (preferably 0.1 lux), you may have a better image at night than OEM.

Do post back if you do this swap. I'm curious as to any improvement in low-light capability as that's what the backup cameras for both the rear view and around view systems fail miserably at.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I just want some better night time visibility when I parallel park, and sometimes I have to back out of a long driveway my parents place. When it’s dry out it’s ok, but if it’s raining and dark, it gets pretty blurry.

·
Registered
146 Posts
The Phoenix Automotive Mark III will be the best Tesla-like screen you find.

·
Registered
11 Posts
2021 looks MUCH better, not sure if this is due to a camera change or the much better display that they were forced to include for Android Auto.

·
Super Moderator
Newport, Oregon
11,327 Posts
2021 looks MUCH better, not sure if this is due to a camera change or the much better display that they were forced to include for Android Auto.
And Apple CarPlay.

The displays are HD where before they were VGA (800 x 480), so I'm sure that helped. I don't know if the cameras have changed or not. They were 1296 x 985, which should look better with the newer HD displays but the 2 lux minimum brightness spec for the cameras is what makes for poor imaging in the dark. The cameras should be 0.1 lux or better for a minimum brightness spec these days but I can't find anything that indicates the 2021 cameras are any different than the original cameras.

Another thing to consider is the Around View system has a control unit that stitches the images together. I would think that would impact any attempt to change the cameras to a higher resolution if the control unit can't handle the higher resolutions. I would guess it would have to be changed also if you added higher resolution cameras.

Interesting to note that if you don't have Around View but only have a backup camera, the camera specs are different. The CCD is a lot smaller so the resolution is only 504 x 485 and the angles of view slightly less The horizontal field of view is 154° and the vertical is 96° for the Around View system cameras. The backup camera horizontal view is 130.5° and the vertical is 92°. The backup camera minimum brightness is 1 lux instead of 2, so it's apparently a little more sensitive in low-light situations but still not current technology.

Reactions: YoungRizz

·
Registered
216 Posts
Not sure about 2021 but my loaner 2020 QX50's around view and backup cameras were worse than my 2017 Q50. Screen was definitely darker (could not adjust brightness level) so literally could not see much even in broad daylight.

41 - 56 of 56 Posts