Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am so tired of not being able to see an acceptable image on the backup camera because of inadequate backup lights and poor low-light sensitivity of the camera at night. So I broke down and bought this:

It's expensive but it is CNC'd 6061 aluminum and has 1,800 lumens of measured output. You do need to drill a small hole in the trunk lid to pass the wiring through but they do supply a rubber grommet for the hole. Amazon Prime delivery is now at 3 weeks for this item instead of 1-2 days.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
I have been thinking a lot lately about a solution to the dim reverse light problem we have. I was leaning toward putting an LED light strip under the rear bumper cover, aimed backward. I want it as incognito as possible. I do like your idea. But it's a bit pricey and I'm not digging the visible 'yellow' LED strip. Also, I hope the bright light doesn't 'blind' your camera, being so close. Please do take install and 'After' pics and share. Good luck.

3 weeks?? : - O

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have been thinking a lot lately about a solution to the dim reverse light problem we have. I was leaning toward putting an LED light strip under the rear bumper cover, aimed backward. I want it as incognito as possible. I do like your idea. But it's a bit pricey and I'm not digging the visible 'yellow' LED strip. Also, I hope the bright light doesn't 'blind' your camera, being so close. Please do take install and 'After' pics and share. Good luck.

3 weeks?? : - O
It's not suppose to blow out the camera image. 1,800 lumens and a white 5500K light should make things more visible. I'll see what I can do about pictures. I will have to drill a hole in the trunk lid (7/16").

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
^ This is precisely the route I am going to go.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now that's a backup light! I don't like where it's mounted though. That light housing would be covered in dirt/mud in short order around here or get hit with rocks. Don't want to crawl under the car and have to clean that off on a regular basis either. I'll just see how this license plate light works out first.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,379 Posts
I suspect that light will burn any contaminants off its lens...self cleaning like your electric oven. It should also melt the snow in your driveway so you can sell the snowblower. And cook any roadkill you might come across.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A toggle switch for that would be nice for tailgaters too.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Looks like this might be the light sil8ty mentioned:

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks like this might be the light sil8ty mentioned:

Yes.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
You get what you pay for. Exterior mounting on a vehicle, especially underneath if you're going that route, is an extremely harsh environment.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Amazon Prime delivery is now at 3 weeks for this item instead of 1-2 days.
It's fulfilled by Amazon so the delay is most likely on VLEDS shipping the item to Amazon. They offer 2-day shipping for $10 though (direct from their website).

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
What's better for a reverse light.. Flood, Spot, or a combo?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
An 8,000 lumen, 14" wide, off-road light bar is way too bright and too big for my taste. On the front of a Jeep mucking around at night for sure but on a Q50? It would look stupid on the rear of a car for backup purposes. Besides, 8,000 lumens is brighter than the headlights and I'd be concerned about washing out the rear camera image with that level of brightness. However, if this license plate backup LED light isn't doing the job, I may have to consider a brighter option.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Ok, I'll find something tamer. But the general question is Spot, Flood, or Combo thereof?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I suppose I'd go with flood but it's your light, not mine.

·
Premium Member
5,379 Posts
Flood was my thought too. Maybe "fog" if the particular light offers that pattern option.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Id like to see how this turns out once you receive it, as id like something a little brighter as well. I wish zleds made a kit for our vehicle, as I used them for my GTR, and even the brake lights alone are so bright I can see behind without having the reverse lights on. I havent checked to see if hes been in the process of working on any q50 stuff, but he may R&D some stuff depending on demand.

1 - 20 of 190 Posts