Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
161 - 180 of 196 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
OK...After futzing around with this backup light last night I have to say that while it's plenty bright enough, my concern about the location of the light bar with respect to the rear camera lens has come true. I'm getting enough light reflection onto the camera's "fisheye lens" to wash out part of the image with a halo. I'm going to try a few things but at this time I would not recommend this kit for a Q50 as is. Phooey!
Bummer. I did suspect that would happen with the bright light inches away from the lens.

The only solutions I could see possibly working would be to aim the light bar 45^ down, but I know that's not possible. Or, maybe if you put a brim above the top of the frame.

What about installing it upside down to give more separation b/t light and lens?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Bummer. I did suspect that would happen with the bright light inches away from the lens.

The only solutions I could see possibly working would be to aim the light bar 45^ down, but I know that's not possible. Or, maybe if you put a brim above the top of the frame.

What about installing it upside down to give more separation b/t light and lens?
Inches? Less than 1 inch. Actually, I'm trying a temporary brim I made tonight to see if that helps. If I can't make some sort of brim work, then I may try ditching the plate and moving the bar to the lower set of license plate screw holes. I'm not giving up but this sucks. I've drilled on them so no return. Have to make it work somehow.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,578 Posts
I just removed it from my Amazon wishlist. I was going to suggest mounting the frame upside down just before I read Spud's post.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
Believe me, I'll try anything that doesn't look too ghetto to solve this problem.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
Good luck my friend. Keep us updated.

If nothing else, you'll have a $110 light bar that you'll find somewhere to mount.

I hope you didn't go through a full install just to find out it doesn't work?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
That totally sucks A53! Please do keep us updated.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #167 ·
Made a couple attempts of brimming the light bar. It helped somewhat but I still am getting image washout around the edges of the display. I'm going to relocate the light and see if that helps any.

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
5,578 Posts
Turn it into a dome light.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #169 ·
The car could use a better map light. Hmm.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
OK. I mounted the frame upside down. I had to Dremel out the frame again to pass the wire underneath it but it actually looks non-ghetto. I'll see tonight when it's dark if that made any improvement.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Ahhh, can only upload 10 files. Here is # 11....
The photos is a bit washed so hard to tell but it does look like a pretty big improvement
over stock.

If anything it's almost too focused in one spot, a light that illuminates the general
area a bit more would probably work better with the back-up camera.

Need a switch to turn on that light when people tail-gate you though, just give them the
death beams. :)

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
The photos is a bit washed so hard to tell but it does look like a pretty big improvement
over stock.

If anything it's almost too focused in one spot, a light that illuminates the general
area a bit more would probably work better with the back-up camera.

Need a switch to turn on that light when people tail-gate you though, just give them the
death beams. :)
I admit it seemed to help immensely 'outside' of the car but not as much through the screen, unfort. :(

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
I admit it seemed to help immensely 'outside' of the car but not as much through the screen, unfort. :(
Hmm if you can find some type of cover to go over it then it may be able to more evenly distribute light to the wider area.
In hindsight we probably could have tested this with a high powered flash light of some kind. lol

On a positive note I doubt anyone would ever hit you when backing out now Mr Ptatohed!

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #174 ·
Turning the license plate frame upside down and moving the light bar away from the backup camera has apparently solved my problem. I say apparently because I only checked for a minute or so as there was so much exhaust water vapor since the engine was cold so a picture would show much. However, I didn't see any washout or fisheye halo effect on the display anymore so that's a good thing.

I'll get some pictures shortly.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Turning the license plate frame upside down and moving the light bar away from the backup camera has apparently solved my problem. I say apparently because I only checked for a minute or so as there was so much exhaust water vapor since the engine was cold so a picture would show much. However, I didn't see any washout or fisheye halo effect on the display anymore so that's a good thing.

I'll get some pictures shortly.
Well that's good news. At least the whole thing was not a waste of time. Looking forward to pics.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #176 ·
Even with more light, you can still see that the camera's low light sensitivity is the weak point of the system with its grainy image when it's dark out.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
Metal Head, any updates with your frame light?

So, last night I started working on my back-up LED bar. Didn't make it too far before a friend called and we ended up talking for hours.

What I accomplished was locating my reverse light power and ground sources.

Shout out again to @sil8ty for the below figure of the trunk harness diagram.

Positive was Terminal #2. I thought BG was Blue-Green but, since my wire was beige, I guess BG is Beige? I tried using the chassis for ground and that didn't work. Same problem when I was trying to power my footwell lighting. Maybe it's something finicky about LED?? Anyway, no problem, since sil8 was so kind as to label Terminal #11, I knew it was the ground for the Terminal #2 reverse lights! It was a Blue (L) wire, as shown in the diagram. The harness is really easy to back-probe so that's how I tested but I will also do my permanent install that way too. No tapping into OEM wires, I love it.

You need to drop the trunk liner a little to get to the trunk harness but it's pretty easy to work with once you expose it.

To be continued.....

Attachments

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
14,209 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
BG is beige.

I haven't taken any pictures yet. I will. I haven't even driven at night since I installed it.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,457 Posts
As far as the wiring codes go, there's no beige, it would be read blue solid, green stripe
But isn't Blue, "L"? and Black is B? All I can say us my "BG" was tan, not Blue with a Green stripe.

How's your back-up light coming?

161 - 180 of 196 Posts