Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got word from the dealer, diver side has a bad turbo. Something about the waste gate/bad seal. 2017 premium with 26k miles. Lucky me! At least it's covered under warranty. Parts will be in next week but in the meantime they said it's ok to drive until then. Is this a torque issue, bad parts for certain vin's, etc? I'm sure it could be a number of things, I just hope it doesn't happen again and out of warranty. The car has never been modded.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Hey Rdj,

Do you mind giving some history of the issue, how it was discovered, symptoms you noticed etc. It just helps out people who are searching through the forums when trying to diagnose problems.

As far as Turbo failures go this is probably the 2nd or 3rd report we've seen in the forums about a turbo going bad. One was an impeller failure and the other was an oil issue of some kind both had their cars tuned,
the first person was running a very aggressive tune but it's unlikely the cause of the failure. I think you just had some bad luck, we have a fair number of community members that have been running tunes for 2+ years without any turbo issues.

This isn't a common issue with the platform so we don't have any TSB or any official notice from Infiniti that would provide a VIN/Model ranges being affected.
I know the Q60 forum has a thread where one member spoke to an SA and they stated turbos having to be replaced frequently but
they only represent a single shop and provide no details on the trim/engine/model that was having issues.

Not to mention it was a thread for a year ago and there has been no updates since, these turbos may have issues later on in life
but right now there isn't enough high-mileage cars on the road to really say either way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I started to hear a whining noise from the front of the car roughly a month ago. It slowly got louder, nothing crazy loud but certainly noticeable. The tech didnt hear it initially but I went I took a drive with him and he them heard it. He mentioned he was from the Nissan side and this being a newer dealership in KY I suppose he was moved here. I can get better details next week for you once the car gets worked on but initially he mentioned the wastegate. I didn't talk directly to the tech, it was the service manager.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Other than the noise, were there any other symptoms? Power change or loss? How did they diagnose it as a "bad turbo"? Was it not making the correct amount of boost?

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
My friend's 2017 Q60 recently had bad turbos (oil leak + CEL). They let him drove it until the replacement (updated version) arrived, took approximately 2 weeks. Replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Other than the noise, were there any other symptoms? Power change or loss? How did they diagnose it as a "bad turbo"? Was it not making the correct amount of boost?
I talked to them a little yesterday when I got my car back, while I wait for the parts. Apparently they used those little mics and placed them in areas around the car, that's how they confirmed it was a bad driver side turbo. If anyone has specific questions you'd like me to ask them please post them here and I will ask next week when I take the car back.

As far as power loss, no I haven't experienced any but I will say that when I get on it the noise is definitely audible and I can for sure say it has gotten worse/louder in the last few weeks and only seems to be getting louder, so until it gets replaced I'll be babying her. I'm assuming since I haven't experienced power loss then I'm not experiencing boost loss.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've been experiencing a whine/whistle that I can hear starting around 3k RPM with moderate to heavy acceleration. This started for me back in February. It hasn't gotten worse for me. I had the vehicle at the dealer last month to check it out and they found everything okay.

I have a feeling it may be an early symptom of something and will be keeping an eye (...err, ear) on it.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Thanks for the information. I've been experiencing a whine/whistle that I can hear starting around 3k RPM with moderate to heavy acceleration. This started for me back in February. It hasn't gotten worse for me. I had the vehicle at the dealer last month to check it out and they found everything okay.

I have a feeling it may be an early symptom of something and will be keeping an eye (...err, ear) on it.
Hmmm any chance it's early signs of belt issues? Few other members report some whine/whistles and then the belt goes on them shortly after.

·
Registered
1,139 Posts
Hmmm any chance it's early signs of belt issues? Few other members report some whine/whistles and then the belt goes on them shortly after.
No, that is why I had the dealer check it out. No issues with the belt. Other members reported squeals. This sound is different.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, that is why I had the dealer check it out. No issues with the belt. Other members reported squeals. This sound is different.
Absolutely, this sound resembles nothing of a squeal, as you would here with a belt, this is a flat out annoying little whine. Starts out constant under acceleration and with more throttle it gets a bit louder then as you let off it slowly goes away. Coasting you hear nothing.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Absolutely, this sound resembles nothing of a squeal, as you would here with a belt, this is a flat out annoying little whine. Starts out constant under acceleration and with more throttle it gets a bit louder then as you let off it slowly goes away. Coasting you hear nothing.
Yup, turbo spooling up and down.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Well, not getting the turbo until late August now, there are a bunch on backorder, over a hundred. I asked about a loaner in the meantime but it doesn't sound promising. This all sucks! So I have to baby the thing and hope it doesn't effect the motor in the meantime. This is a shitty situation to be in! Drive on a bad turbo for a month and hope it doesn't result in a blown motor, great infiniti, greeeeeeeaaattttttt. Think I'm gonna call corporate and see where I can get on this.

I just opened a case number with Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Should know something end of day Monday.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Just got word from the dealer, diver side has a bad turbo. Something about the waste gate/bad seal. 2017 premium with 26k miles. Lucky me! At least it's covered under warranty. Parts will be in next week but in the meantime they said it's ok to drive until then. Is this a torque issue, bad parts for certain vin's, etc? I'm sure it could be a number of things, I just hope it doesn't happen again and out of warranty. The car has never been modded.
As far as the warranty is concerned, I think these cars have a great powertrain warranty, mine is 5 years 70k miles. So you have plenty of warranty left in the unlikely event this happens again, or to the other turbo.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I can't believe the wont give you a loaner car, ridiculous IMO. All you need is the impeller to start digging into the housing and break off now you need a motor :/

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I can't believe the wont give you a loaner car, ridiculous IMO. All you need is the impeller to start digging into the housing and break off now you need a motor :/
That's what I'm worried about. I got another call from consumer affairs, I was supposed to hear back from the dealer yesterday, that didn't happen. Consumer affairs is supposed to call me back sometime today and see if the dealer called me back. If I don't hear back from either today then my patience meter will have to be turned up a bit. I'm a pretty patient person but I'm not one to deal with the run around, at all.

·
Registered
455 Posts
That's what I'm worried about. I got another call from consumer affairs, I was supposed to hear back from the dealer yesterday, that didn't happen. Consumer affairs is supposed to call me back sometime today and see if the dealer called me back. If I don't hear back from either today then my patience meter will have to be turned up a bit. I'm a pretty patient person but I'm not one to deal with the run around, at all.

Infinti Consumer Affairs will get you nowhere. Keep calling your dealer for a loaner.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Same case with my friend, dealer assessed the (turbo seal) issue and they said it's still okay to drive. Thus, they didn't give him any loaner. Replacement turbo arrived in 1-2 weeks. Then I think they gave him a loaner during the days they were replacing his turbos.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I wonder what would happen when these V6 twin turbo comes out of warranty?
You'd hope Infiniti recognizes they are a bigger issue than first thought and offer an extended warranty similar to how BMW did with the N54 engine...
But they are getting pretty cheap as of late so I'd be surprised if they did that.

Most likely they won't acknowledge it as being an issue and ignore it.... Would be happy to be wrong in this instance however.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts