Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
so now after reading everything, Sorry for your troubles, when breaking in the engine, I noticed it used more than normal oil and brought it to the dealer - they immediately told me that it COULD be the turbos leaking and they've already done a few turbos. (what?)

Anyways so if you get new turbos, would you have to re-do the entire break in process again? I'm at 900 miles now and this blows that I can't punch it until 1,200 miles. But, i'm following orders.
A bit of oil consumption that early in the cars life isn't that strange by any stretch, everything in the engine is still trying to settle and work itself in. Also need to always remember more often than not your talking to service advisors
most of the time not the mechanics. SA's working knowledge and understand are not what I'd call the most reliable source of information.

Get an oil change done at 1K miles (really good to do during break in period), keep an eye on things for the next 3-5K miles. If you still seeing a similar amount of oil consumption then I'd be concerned.

LOL! There's a turbocharger speed sensor installed on the compressor side of each turbocharger. That's the only cable coming off the turbochargers that I'm aware of.

I'm a little confused as to the term "optical speed sensor" though. The FSM describes the turbocharger speed sensor as being an eddy current sensor, not optical.
It's probably an Eddy current sensor they are a very dependable way to provide accurate measurements in nasty conditions, a lot of the publications I've seen call it a "Optical Sensor" which when discussing how sensors operate would be incorrect.
But if you were to describe it based on functionality then it somewhat work as a loose description.

"The <Eddy> sensor is observing the operation of the turbo wheel" or at least that's how my poor understanding of grammar works.

I was only referencing to what I read here:
https://conceptzperformance.com/blog/a-closer-look-at-the-vr30ddtts-turbochargers/

Quick update:

Just got a call from the service manager, Apparently there is a revised turbo that no longer has the exhaust temperature sensor and that an update to the car needs to be performed so that the car no longer takes these readings. This was their discrepancy when they weren't sure why it looked different then the one they removed. Would love some feedback on this... Also the car will get an alignment due the the subframe being dropped with the engine. And I requested it to be waxed! ; )

Okay that actually makes a lot of sense, one of the forum members posted that a revised Turbo charger was showing on the Infiniti parts page when he was skimming through it, it's good to hear they are going to do the alignment (and hopefully waxed!).
Sounds like they are making some progress at long last.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I think I mentioned that as well maybe in another thread that happened to my friend's 2017 Q60. They told him the 2018-2019 models have the updated turbo model already. 16-17 still have the old one. It wasn't really clear what else has been revised besides that sensor. One of the 4 dealerships near me admitted they do not have experience replacing a defective turbo yet so I will not be surprised if they'd be confused as well. And I will definitely not bring my car there in case I had turbo issue.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I think I mentioned that as well maybe in another thread that happened to my friend's 2017 Q60. They told him the 2018-2019 models have the updated turbo model already. 16-17 still have the old one. It wasn't really clear what else has been revised besides that sensor. One of the 4 dealerships near me admitted they do not have experience replacing a defective turbo yet so I will not be surprised if they'd be confused as well. And I will definitely not bring my car there in case I had turbo issue.
So I guess I wanna know, why the revised turbo, why is it needed and would I benefit if the other turbo was replaced as well?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,070 Posts
It's probably an Eddy current sensor they are a very dependable way to provide accurate measurements in nasty conditions, a lot of the publications I've seen call it a "Optical Sensor" which when discussing how sensors operate would be incorrect.
But if you were to describe it based on functionality then it somewhat work as a loose description.

"The <Eddy> sensor is observing the operation of the turbo wheel" or at least that's how my poor understanding of grammar works.
The sensor driver creates an alternating current in the sensing coil in the end of the sensor. As the metal target on the turbo shaft passes under the sensor, this creates an alternating magnetic field with induces small currents in the target material; these currents are called eddy currents. The eddy currents create an opposing magnetic field which resists the field being generated by the probe coil. This is detected by the sensor. It is indirect but certainly not optical.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
So I guess I wanna know, why the revised turbo, why is it needed and would I benefit if the other turbo was replaced as well?
We probably won't ever know, it could be the part reached EOL (End of life) with the manufacture (Honeywell I think), it could be they found reliability issues with the part, they wanted
more clearance to accommodate future changes, they found a cheaper supplier or Infiniti decided the Sensor was a pointless cost addition to the Red Sport...

Which I would agree with based on the tuning results with the base VR30 engine, that said part changes like this happen all of the time and we are rarely
given a reason as to why that is. More often than not it's reliability or cost cutting measure however.

The sensor driver creates an alternating current in the sensing coil in the end of the sensor. As the metal target on the turbo shaft passes under the sensor, this creates an alternating magnetic field with induces small currents in the target material; these currents are called eddy currents. The eddy currents create an opposing magnetic field which resists the field being generated by the probe coil. This is detected by the sensor. It is indirect but certainly not optical.
Oh I totally agree calling it an optical sensor makes no sense.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

What BigHead said below.

We probably won't ever know, it could be the part reached EOL (End of life) with the manufacture (Honeywell I think), it could be they found reliability issues with the part, they wanted
more clearance to accommodate future changes, they found a cheaper supplier or Infiniti decided the Sensor was a pointless cost addition to the Red Sport...

Which I would agree with based on the tuning results with the base VR30 engine, that said part changes like this happen all of the time and we are rarely
given a reason as to why that is. More often than not it's reliability or cost cutting measure however.

Oh I totally agree calling it an optical sensor makes no sense.

So do the Premium models also have that sensor? Thought it was exclusive to RS only.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
What BigHead said below.

So do the Premium models also have that sensor? Thought it was exclusive to RS only.
Why are you and BHC referring to an exhaust temperature sensor as an RS exclusive? He wasn't referring to the optical (err eddy current) sensor for the turbo wheel speed.

From rdjr74
"Apparently there is a revised turbo that no longer has the exhaust temperature sensor"

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Why are you and BHC referring to an exhaust temperature sensor as an RS exclusive? He wasn't referring to the optical (err eddy current) sensor for the turbo wheel speed.

From rdjr74

And why did you not include Avedis, he admitted he was confused when he referred to the FSM diagram and continued on describing how it operates. I know, maybe you think me and BHC are nothing but peasants :p

LOL! There's a turbocharger speed sensor installed on the compressor side of each turbocharger. That's the only cable coming off the turbochargers that I'm aware of.

I'm a little confused as to the term "optical speed sensor" though. The FSM describes the turbocharger speed sensor as being an eddy current sensor, not optical.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts

From rdjr74

"To make this short, they have a call into the tech. line to try and figure out what this lead goes to coming off the turbo"

Let me ask you what part of that sounds like exhaust temperature sensor?

To be clear I agree a exhaust temp sensor wouldn't be exclusive to the Red Sport, but the speed sensor located on the turbo chargers are.
The OP has a premium model not an RS and it's not uncommon that parts get mixed up in warranty repairs.

·
Registered
198 Posts
So, after some digging around, it looks like Infiniti removed the EGT sensor starting with the 2019 model. Turbo speed sensor remains intact in all RS models for now.

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
Got a link? We likely to ready.

·
Registered
198 Posts
EGT sensor (22630-5CA0A) is not available for purchase due to incompatibility starting with MY2019. Seeing as it's prone to failure I am not surprised Infiniti has removed it.

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,070 Posts
And why did you not include Avedis, he admitted he was confused when he referred to the FSM diagram and continued on describing how it operates. I know, maybe you think me and BHC are nothing but peasants :p
My confusion was that the turbo speed sensor is an eddy current-based sensor yet some of the articles written about the Q50 stated it was an optical sensor. The Infiniti press kit simply states it's a "turbine speed sensor" with no reference to it being optical. I have no idea who came up with it being optical but it is incorrect.

An optical sensor makes no sense on a rotating element that can turn up to 240,000 rpm. An eddy current sensor does. I never said the turbo speed sensor was on the 300 HP VR30. It is only on the 400 HP VR30 because the turbos have to spin at a lot higher speed to produce the additional 30% of power. The speed sensor protects the turbos from exceeding their design limit.

It does make me wonder about people who mod their 300 HP VR30 engines to run at RS power levels without a turbo speed sensor to protect the turbos.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My confusion was that the turbo speed sensor is an eddy current-based sensor yet some of the articles written about the Q50 stated it was an optical sensor. The Infiniti press kit simply states it's a "turbine speed sensor" with no reference to it being optical. I have no idea who came up with it being optical but it is incorrect.
I found press packs from Infiniti, and Infiniti's joint marketing with AMS Performance that called out the turbine sensor as "optical". I see, since then, Concept Z Performance and Stillen have referred to an "optical" turbine sensor.

What does the FSM refer to it as (I am not near my tuning laptop to check)?

I would trust the FSM, as I deal with technical resources and marketing all day every day, and marketing content very often is 1) not reviewed and 2) completely inaccurate ("factually wrong" is a better way to describe how inaccurate marketing often is).

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It does make me wonder about people who mod their 300 HP VR30 engines to run at RS power levels without a turbo speed sensor to protect the turbos.

Agreed. It would be interesting to see how many of the tuned 300-hp VR30s are experiencing failed turbos.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
This is why folks say you can get more power from a SS than a RS. Personally I am glad I have the "speed sensors".
The answer is bigger turbos and running in the efficiency range for them, not pushing our baby turbos to high. Just IMHO.
So, I'm game, and all in on AMS when they finish their R&D and release them.
Pump gas "sleeper" baby! 😁😎

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
I found press packs from Infiniti, and Infiniti's joint marketing with AMS Performance that called out the turbine sensor as "optical". I see, since then, Concept Z Performance and Stillen have referred to an "optical" turbine sensor.

What does the FSM refer to it as (I am not near my tuning laptop to check)?

I would trust the FSM, as I deal with technical resources and marketing all day every day, and marketing content very often is 1) not reviewed and 2) completely inaccurate ("factually wrong" is a better way to describe how inaccurate marketing often is).
SM reffers to it as a Eddy sensor, not that the FSM isn't always accurate either....

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
6,070 Posts
An eddy current sensor would be a lot more reliable in an engine environment at those speeds than an optical sensor. An optical sensor makes no sense...so to speak.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

An optical sensor makes no sense on a rotating element that can turn up to 240,000 rpm. An eddy current sensor does. I never said the turbo speed sensor was on the 300 HP VR30. It is only on the 400 HP VR30 because the turbos have to spin at a lot higher speed to produce the additional 30% of power. The speed sensor protects the turbos from exceeding their design limit.

It's all good, just messing with Damonb there.

But you guys are right calling it 'optical' a misnomer. For non-RS, I think tuners have workaround to prevent turbos from spinning so high.

Honestly, there's a lot more at play to get power. In boost vs turbo rpm for instance, a tuner setting @19psi but turbos were spinning >250k rpm [~300k rpm to be exact] while AMS doing a little over 20psi but turbos are spinning at just 60k rpm less with more whp and wtq.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #60 (Edited)
Is this plug the sensor I spoke about above, the revisioned turbos not needing it any longer? It's just dangling there.This is the driver side next to the engine. BTW they didn't detail it, wax it or vac it. FN joke! Not happy with this dealer at all regarding this service. All other services were fine but those were free oil changes and replaced the front bumper chrome, easy ****. And they left off the battery cover. I had to call them rt away about that one. A few electrical lines not in there proper location that I had to snap back in. Hope I won't need another big service again but if I do it's going to King's Infiniti!

Edit: They confirmed, it's the exhaust gas temp. Sensor.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 66 Posts