Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
An eddy current sensor would be a lot more reliable in an engine environment at those speeds than an optical sensor. An optical sensor makes no sense...so to speak.
Optical sensor is more reliable as most current sensor would drift and be effected by temperature especially next to a very hot turbo.

·
Registered
5,711 Posts
Optical sensor is more reliable as most current sensor would drift and be effected by temperature especially next to a very hot turbo.
If an optical sensor is more reliable than the eddy current sensor, then why is Infiniti using an eddy current sensor? Eddy current sensors are particularly suitable when high precision is required in harsh industrial environments (pressure, dirt, temperature). They have high resolution and temperature stability. They don't drift either.

Please show me your information that says optical sensors are more reliable than eddy current sensors. I'd like to read it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I Was at the dealer the other day and we got into a discussion about bad turbos. This one kids SS has had two bad turbos go. I’m wondering if this turbo sensor saved me from blowing turbos under my previous tuner. I mean I hit limp mode twice and one time my gauge read 27 psi. I’m thinking those sensors might be helping keep those little guys from hurting themselves from a bad tune.

·
Registered
3,843 Posts
Optical sensors most definitely not more reliable in that scenario, if it was a sterile enviroment perhaps but not in the conditions required to monitor turbos.
Given the car has target boost/temperature thresholds it's fluctuations should be fairly predictable and be accounted for in the calibration process.

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Is this plug the sensor I spoke about above, the revisioned turbos not needing it any longer? It's just dangling there.This is the driver side next to the engine. BTW they didn't detail it, wax it or vac it. FN joke! Not happy with this dealer at all regarding this service. All other services were fine but those were free oil changes and replaced the front bumper chrome, easy ****. And they left off the battery cover. I had to call them rt away about that one. A few electrical lines not in there proper location that I had to snap back in. Hope I won't need another big service again but if I do it's going to King's Infiniti!

Edit: They confirmed, it's the exhaust gas temp. Sensor.
Thanks for sharing this information and clarifying that they removed an Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor from the turbos.

However, I'm sure everyone will go back to derailing this topic and talk about the turbo speed sensors instead.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Thanks for sharing this information and clarifying that they removed an Exhaust Gas Temperature sensor from the turbos.

However, I'm sure everyone will go back to derailing this topic and talk about the turbo speed sensors instead.

Temp sensor is so mainstream ;)

Anyway, I believe the ECU update disregards EGT input so either connected or not, it won't be read.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts