Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This diagram doesn't tell you how to determine options but it does give the basic coding for Infiniti vehicles. It shows "G" to designate the 2016 model year. My 2018 has a "J" in that location. Not sure what the other model year designators are.

FYI

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
Wasn't 7 referring to the transmission and v for engine config?

Edit: And the engine type seems incorrect since e.g. q50 sig edition has different letter designation yet it's a 3.0t.

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
This diagram doesn't tell you how to determine options but it does give the basic coding for Infiniti vehicles. It shows "G" to designate the 2016 model year. My 2018 has a "J" in that location. Not sure what the other model year designators are.

FYI

I'm gonna guess "H" is 2017 and they skip "I" to keep from confusing with "1".

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Considering the source, it wouldn't surprise me that it isn't entirely correct.

As far as the Vehicle Line coding of "V" is concerned, the "V37 series" pertains to the Infiniti Skyline vehicle line of which the Q50 is our counterpart. It isn't referring to the engine. That's listed under the engine type (F: VR30DDTT).

I'm not sure what the Model Change listing of "7" means. It could be transmission. No idea. More Japanese confusion.

Anybody with a 2017 have a "H" for the Model Year designation?

·
Registered
44 Posts
The second two digits are the manufacturer code. The first digit is the country of assembly:

J is Japan
1, 4, and 5 is the US
2 is Canada
3 is Mexico
W is Germany
S is Great Britain
9 is Brazil
Z is Italy

That’s all I can remember from memory.

Then, the 8th digit from the rear is the year model for US, Canadian, Mexican, and European market vehicles. Attached is a screenshot from an old sheet I have. It repeats.

2011 is B
2012 is C
2013 is D

Etc.

Those VIN’s are certainly crucial for identifying information about cars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts

As far as the Vehicle Line coding of "V" is concerned, the "V37 series" pertains to the Infiniti Skyline vehicle line of which the Q50 is our counterpart. It isn't referring to the engine. That's listed under the engine type (F: VR30DDTT).

I'm not sure what the Model Change listing of "7" means. It could be transmission. No idea. More Japanese confusion.

All 2017 models will have “H” as the eight digit from the rear.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The second two digits are the manufacturer code. The first digit is the country of assembly:

J is Japan
1, 4, and 5 is the US
2 is Canada
3 is Mexico
W is Germany
S is Great Britain
9 is Brazil
Z is Italy

That’s all I can remember from memory.

Then, the 8th digit from the rear is the year model for US, Canadian, Mexican, and European market vehicles. Attached is a screenshot from an old sheet I have. It repeats.

2011 is B
2012 is C
2013 is D

Etc.

Those VIN’s are certainly crucial for identifying information about cars!

I wonder what the "N" refers to in JN1 then? I thought "JN" was the World Manufacturing Identifier for Nissan and the "1" designates the US.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wonder what the "N" refers to in JN1 then? I thought "JN" was the World Manufacturing Identifier for Nissan and the "1" designates the US.
Manufacturer codes can vary and I’ve never fully understood how they determine them. With Infiniti and Nissan, I’ve seen the following manufacturer codes for both:

NK
N1
N4
N6
JK (the QX30)

There’s likely a few more I’m forgetting. For the first digit, I also forgot to mention K is for Korea and V I think is Sweden.

I’ll see if I can find and upload a better VIN decoder.

·
Registered
4,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A comprehensive and accurate Infiniti VIN decoder reference would be excellent if you can find it.

·
Registered
2,423 Posts
7" means. It could be transmis

Yeah not really finding any "useful" source other than what's stated by Sid above and a few bits at https://www.vindecoderz.com. I'd be interested to know which coding or source record they use to determine the options included as well.

For the 5th character, the V37 series actually make more sense. I couldn't find the link where it said the engine config ("V") and transmission code (7) but I'm sure it's not correct. It's probably in my decom'd laptop.

The engine type is not always "F" for VR30 though, as there is also "E". Maybe "E" for 300hp and "F" for hi-output. I know "C" would always default to 2.0t and Hybrid is "A". The Q50 VQ3.7 had "B". It appears like a sequence code since most nissans/infinitis have "A" especially for those with single-engine option. Q50, Q70 and Altima, for instance, have more than one.

Here are some real examples btw:

JN1EV7AR4GM340674 = 2016 Premium Sport AWD
JN1FV7AP2HM850591 = 2017 Red Sport RWD
JN1EV7AR9HM841643 = 2017 Signature Ed AWD
JN1EV7AP4KM516517 = 2019 Luxe RWD
JN1AV7AP0FM790785 = 2015 Hybrid
JN1AV7AP8HM890085 = 2017 Hybrid
1N4BL4EV8KCxxxxxx = 2019 Altima 2.5L I4
1N4AL4FV9KCxxxxxx = 2019 Altima 2.0L (VC turbo)
JN1BY1AP9KMxxxxxx = Q70 3.7L
JN1AY1AP0FMxxxxxx = Q70 5.6L

·
Premium Member
1,839 Posts
Do modern cars have a "build tag" or "buck tag" like the old domestic cars did that were metal and had codes stamped into them for exterior color, interior trim, axle ratio, transmission, and options? Usually they were under the hood on an inner fender or the radiator support. Today, I would expect a sticker rather than a metal tag.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts