Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Nicely done bro! Need the guide for the LEDs! These DIYs should be stickied!

Btw, is there any reason for changing out to K&N? There shouldnt be any real gain right?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Installed a whole bunch of stuff.

- Rubber Car Mats and Trunk Mat
- Wheel Locks
- Nitrogen in tires
- K&N Air filters
- LEDs for all remaining halogen bulbs.
Great job!

·
Registered
395 Posts
I work in the industry, even the Tire Rack will admit that there are no MEASURABLE benefits to Nitrogen...it is a denser gas, but to Mindflux's point, the increased % of mix vs. O2 is hardly worth the effort ... The only "up" side is that rubber is porous and air will leak naturally over time... The Nitrogen will not leak/bleed out as fast...SO, if you're one of those people that never check your air pressure...I guess there is a plus...otherwise, nada

Reactions: MattJB

·
Registered
51 Posts
I work in the industry, even the Tire Rack will admit that there are no MEASURABLE benefits to Nitrogen...it is a denser gas, but to Mindflux's point, the increased % of mix vs. O2 is hardly worth the effort ... The only "up" side is that rubber is porous and air will leak naturally over time... The Nitrogen will not leak/bleed out as fast...SO, if you're one of those people that never check your air pressure...I guess there is a plus...otherwise, nada
Is there some type of myth around putting nitrogen in your tires? It seems like a strange thing to spend money on if all you get is having your tires naturally deflate slightly less quickly than usual. Does it affect the way the car feels when you drive or anything. I have just never heard of this before...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Is there some type of myth around putting nitrogen in your tires? It seems like a strange thing to spend money on if all you get is having your tires naturally deflate slightly less quickly than usual. Does it affect the way the car feels when you drive or anything. I have just never heard of this before...
It's "supposed" to not react as extremely to weather changes. I know with normal ole "air" in my tires on a really cold day I might have a pressure sensor saying a tire is low but I think that's all anecdotal anyway. Air is already as I said before is just over 78% Nitrogen so the other 21.xx% (ish) just doesn't seem like enough to sway things so extremely to justify spending money on it.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
There's no myth- race cars use Nitrogen- wonder why? cause it's best for the tires and the car at 200mph
Nitrogen is an insert gas and has no moisture, which is good for rubber products like tires... lot of items are stored for long term in nitrogen for preservation. Oxygen and moisture are detrimental to tires.

·
Registered
21 Posts
There's no myth- race cars use Nitrogen- wonder why? cause it's best for the tires and the car at 200mph
Nitrogen is an insert gas and has no moisture, which is good for rubber products like tires... lot of items are stored for long term in nitrogen for preservation. Oxygen and moisture are detrimental to tires.
Good for race car tires that get changed every 50 laps or so? This makes no sense.. they change them so frequently the hour that a mix of Oxygen and Nitrogen is in their tires would not be detrimental that fast.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Good for race car tires that get changed every 50 laps or so? This makes no sense.. they change them so frequently the hour that a mix of Oxygen and Nitrogen is in their tires would not be detrimental that fast.

Because science, that's why!

Formula One spends a bajillion dollars on R&D. If they use something, you can bet it is due to countless hours of nit-picking by furrowed brow engineers in special rooms with testing equipment that would make the nerd-base at NASA turn green with envy. Nitrogen, being inert, would cause less damage over time in a conventional tire, and in the short amount of time in tires like NASCAR and F1 that see extreme temperature changes and experience far more intense deformation from the rotational g-forces.

Nitrogen, and even krypton gas, is used in the production of multi-pane windows due to it's stability in temp and pressure changes. Manufacturers replaced the "room air" with inert gasses because over time, the permeable rubber seals would allow moisture inside the window (causing "frosting"), and also found that traditional rubber also degrades faster in such circumstances. That is also why many manufacturers use silicone seals AND inert gas now. The pores in silicone are far too small to allow the "larger" nitrogen molecules through, and won't let oxygen or moisture in because they are under pressure. It would be interesting to see silicone liners inside tires...

So you see, there is actual science behind it. Unlike with transmissions and twin turbo set-ups... which are pure wizardry and witchcraft.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.