Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 SilverSport 3.0T Bone Stock with every option available EXCEPT the auto start/stop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

New to the forum and new Q50 owner. I need a little help with this whole belt squeal issue. I have done my research on here and elsewhere but still need some clarification. I bought my Q used with about 48K miles on it. Very well maintained, very taken care of. So far she is bone stock, no mods whatsoever. I've only done regular maintenance on her. Oil changes, Air filters, tires, battery replacement etc.

The car didn't have the belt squeal when I test drove it or after I took it home. I would say the squeal started about a month after I bought it. I bought it back in June of last year. The original manufacturer warranty (Basic Warranty) expired. It only has the powertrain warranty left for another 4K miles or so (I drive ALOT). It's also now at the point where there is a constant squeak whenever I drive. It sounds just like a chirp/cricket sound. I know it's one of the pulleys or maybe two pulleys.

I did purchase an aftermarket warranty at the dealer where I bought it but I have a $500 deductible for any repair I claim with them. So this brings me to my main question.

Does anyone know if I take my car to the dealer for this issue, will they do the repair out of warranty free of charge? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I ask it because I have read about certain people that got it repaired for free out of warranty. Also BoostInMotion on YouTube said he got his repaired free of charge if your car manufacturer date falls under a specific time. I feel like at this point, this issue should be turned into a recall. Smh it's taken out so many Q's all over and they continue to charge for a manufacturing defect. Again, forgive me for the question but I just want to make sure I have absolutely no choice but to shell out the $500 for the repair claim. Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Sometimes there are things/parts that Infiinti deemed they are responsible for regardless of warranty or no warranty, essentially like a recall. I know that some of the earlier years have a belt issue that was one of those items. We had a preowned Q50 with a very squeaky belt that got repaired for free through service because it was one of those items I referenced above. I'm not sure whether or not it has a timeframe requirement to get fixed and in your case I hope it doesnt! Call your Local Infiniti dealership and get the issue resolved before it causes other items to fail. Good Luck!

·
Registered
248 Posts
When our Service Dept. opens up tomorrow I can go over there and see if I cant find out about it for you. I'm pretty sure it was called a "Bulletin" or something, send me your vin/miles through PM so I can see if your vehicle qualifies for the repair!

·
Registered
2016 Hybrid 3.5 SportTech RWD
687 Posts
Maybe this could help. And yes, I know: applied engine is TT...

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD - Black Obsidian
111 Posts
Hey guys,

New to the forum and new Q50 owner. I need a little help with this whole belt squeal issue. I have done my research on here and elsewhere but still need some clarification. I bought my Q used with about 48K miles on it. Very well maintained, very taken care of. So far she is bone stock, no mods whatsoever. I've only done regular maintenance on her. Oil changes, Air filters, tires, battery replacement etc.

The car didn't have the belt squeal when I test drove it or after I took it home. I would say the squeal started about a month after I bought it. I bought it back in June of last year. The original manufacturer warranty (Basic Warranty) expired. It only has the powertrain warranty left for another 4K miles or so (I drive ALOT). It's also now at the point where there is a constant squeak whenever I drive. It sounds just like a chirp/cricket sound. I know it's one of the pulleys or maybe two pulleys.

I did purchase an aftermarket warranty at the dealer where I bought it but I have a $500 deductible for any repair I claim with them. So this brings me to my main question.

Does anyone know if I take my car to the dealer for this issue, will they do the repair out of warranty free of charge? I know it sounds like a stupid question but I ask it because I have read about certain people that got it repaired for free out of warranty. Also BoostInMotion on YouTube said he got his repaired free of charge if your car manufacturer date falls under a specific time. I feel like at this point, this issue should be turned into a recall. Smh it's taken out so many Q's all over and they continue to charge for a manufacturing defect. Again, forgive me for the question but I just want to make sure I have absolutely no choice but to shell out the $500 for the repair claim. Thanks!
I wouldn't count on it, or at least that was not the case for me and I was in a nearly identical situation to you. I had this done about a weak and a half ago, they "cut me a deal" by not charging for a diagnostic (which is why I brought it in) and billing $350 to replace the belt. I had some extra cash and just wanted the issue fixed while I was there so I bit the bullet. But I tried extensively to figure out why they wouldn't cover this. I also thought that there was a recall for the model years exhibiting this issue but not positive on that. Either way, they were not gonna cover it.

Your best bet would just be to take it in and see what they say. Seems hit or miss but my scenario was identical to yours and that was my result.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
It's a known issue for the twin turbo engines and has a TSB related to it per DeeCree's post, the dealer should honestly be performing the repair on their dime as you are under warranty
I'd push back on them and refer to this TSB to see if they will care of it. You also have the option of reaching out to Infiniti consumer affairs and explaining the situation to them.

With that said a belt replacement is a rather easy process and I'm surprised they'd charge $500 for the work, a quality drive belt is only $30-$40 and the install process at most an hour
sounds like this dealership is trying to rip you off. Any half-way decent garage would do the work for under $150.

Reactions: DeeCee

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 SilverSport 3.0T Bone Stock with every option available EXCEPT the auto start/stop
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I got an update for you guys! I took her to the dealer this morning, talked to the service rep, explained in detail everything that is wrong with the car as well as letting her know everything I've read about so far and the videos I've seen about this issue. Long story short, I went home took a nap and got a call from the rep in the afternoon.

Turns out she pushed for all of this work to be done under "Good Will" and I ended up paying $0!!! That's right gentlemen! $0!!! Not even the $195 diagnostic fee they hit you with! I had them replace the belt, tensioner, o ring and they re aligned the ac compressor!!

I think this had alot to do with the previous owner always taking care of the car and taking to a local dealer for any and all service/maintenance. Plus a hot/cute service rep helping me out! Anyway, I'm glad I was able to get this repaired and even happier I got it repaired for $0!!!!

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium 3.0t AWD - Black Obsidian
111 Posts
Just for the record regarding TSBs, dealers are usually not obliged to call in cars for which TSBs for repairs have been issued. Nor is there a requirement to carry out the TSB repairs with no or reduced charges to the owner, since the manufacturer does not explicitly require the repair to be performed and does not reimburse the dealership for repairs. When the vehicle's manufacturer issues a recall, they require the dealership to perform the repair and will reimburse them for it. So either way, a win for the OP.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Theres this secret account that all dealers have called the Good Will account. If your out of warranty OR your a very good customer, they will use this account to repair your car on things. But it is up to the discretion of the Service Manager or Service Advisor to use it on you as it comes out of their bottom line. Source: I've worked at a dealerships most my career*

didnt read your response but yeah good to hear

1 - 9 of 9 Posts