7,474 Posts

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Most use genuine HKS kits.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Premium Member
2020 Majestic White Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD, 2018 MB AMG E63 Sport Edition One Tuned
229 Posts
I have a HKS BOV kit on order...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I would recommend the simple HKS kit if you do not do work on vehicles yourself much. I did a customer Greddy Type S kit on mine, and it required a ton of fine tuning to get the valves to operate as intended. HKS bov is a different type which doesnt use the same spring system as older bov's such as the type s. I just wanted to do something unique, and I do like how mine sounds/looks versus others.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,889 Posts
HKS are in my Q. Fairly easy install. Have been just fine for 2 years. I'm tuned too.

·
Registered
829 Posts
For the available BOV kits for the VR30 that properly work, I don’t think there’s a single BOV that is the best. They all pretty much do the same thing and are from reputable companies. It really depends on what sound you’re after.

I’ve got the Concept Z Turbosmart Vee Port Pro BOVs. Sleek and compact design with a straightforward installation. Under load in the cabin, the blowoff sound is subtle and can only really be heard when suddenly letting off the throttle at anything over 4k RPM. I can slightly hear the spooling of the turbos more after I had installed the BOV kit (note - also have a tune, FI CBE, HKS LDPs, AMS Intake).

·
Super Moderator
3,250 Posts
Under load in the cabin, the blowoff sound is subtle and can only really be heard when suddenly letting off the throttle at anything over 4k RPM. I can slightly hear the spooling of the turbos more after I had installed the BOV kit (note - also have a tune, FI CBE, HKS LDPs, AMS Intake).
Since you are Ecutek-tuned - have you logged the MAF readings during decel when the BOVs are active? I'm told the BOV actuation screws up the MAF measurement with the pressure release. Anything noticeable regarding subsequent throttle response?

I'm liking going the same route with the TurboSmart BOVs... Oh, and I'm assuming their no adjustment with these BOVs?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts

1. Since you are Ecutek-tuned - have you logged the MAF readings during decel when the BOVs are active? I'm told the BOV actuation screws up the MAF measurement with the pressure release. Anything noticeable regarding subsequent throttle response?

I'm liking going the same route with the TurboSmart BOVs... Oh, and I'm assuming their no adjustment with these BOVs?
    That is exactly why I removed and sold my kit. MAF read the air that was blown off upon throttle release and upon reapplying the throttle it was pig rich and car would lay down for a few seconds until the extra fuel was burnt. Watch this video.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Since you are Ecutek-tuned - have you logged the MAF readings during decel when the BOVs are active? I'm told the BOV actuation screws up the MAF measurement with the pressure release. Anything noticeable regarding subsequent throttle response?

Nuh uh. Haven’t logged MAF readings after the BOV install yet... However, since I was remote tuned by SZ before the BOVs were installed, I sent a few logs to Seb at SZ after the BOVs were installed. The logs were 3rd gear at 2500 RPM to redline WOT pulls on my 1.2 bar (17.5 psi ish) and 1.3 bar (19 psi ish) maps, and his response was, “Overall looks good.” Also, before I installed the BOVs, I asked Seb if they’d affect the tune, and he stated, “The BOVs won’t affect the tune thankfully.”

Nothing noticeable regarding subsequent throttle response.

There is adjustment for the TurboSmart BOVs. Link to its instructions below:

·
Registered
275 Posts

1. That is exactly why I removed and sold my kit. MAF read the air that was blown off upon throttle release and upon reapplying the throttle it was pig rich and car would lay down for a few seconds until the extra fuel was burnt. Watch this video.
Interesting perspective on BOVs. I’ve been debating on getting them, but the price of a kit keeps moving them down my list. My previous turbo cars were manuals and even came with factory BOVs, so I just always thought all turbo cars needed them. I’ve looked in the engine bay to see if the car has some sort of bypass valve, but I’m not seeing anything.

So, from the factory, how does the VR30 relieve the excess pressure when you left off the throttle?

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Interesting perspective on BOVs. I’ve been debating on getting them, but the price of a kit keeps moving them down my list. My previous turbo cars were manuals and even came with factory BOVs, so I just always thought all turbo cars needed them. I’ve looked in the engine bay to see if the car has some sort of bypass valve, but I’m not seeing anything.

So, from the factory, how does the VR30 relieve the excess pressure when you left off the throttle?
Not sure stock. ECUtek leaves the throttle plates open for a bit to get around turbo compressor surge issue.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,474 Posts
My S4 does not have BOVs either. They are called 'diverter valves'.

Reactions: Spadds76

·
Registered
386 Posts

As others have stated; the VR30 uses a mass airflow sensor (MAF); in the event that blow-off valves purge boost to the atmosphere, the ECM will be unaware and will inject excess fuel into the engine because it believes the engine is taking in more air than it actually is after purging.

A good tuner with the EcuTek software can hack together a calibration that attempts to minimize the excess fuel situation based on variables such as accelerator pedal position and RPM; however, it is not an eloquent solution (especially when compared to a vehicle equipped with a manifold absolute pressure sensor).

Not sure stock. ECUtek leaves the throttle plates open for a bit to get around turbo compressor surge issue.
Additionally, EcuTek has the custom Gearchange - Wastegate offset feature to drive the wastegate position during gear changes, reducing turbine airflow.

From what I have seen with the VR30 design, I gather that the engineers accepted the compressor surge and calculate the impact will be minimal over the course of a standard vehicle "lifetime" (manufacturer lifetime).

My S4 does not have BOVs either. They are called 'diverter valves'.
Diverter valves, also referred to as recirculating valves, are a type of blow-off valve; diverter valves recirculate the excess boost back into the intake tract rather than releasing to the atmosphere like the common aftermarket "blow-off valve" (because it requires significantly more engineering to create an aftermarket recirculating blow-off valve solution rather than one that simply releases to atmosphere).

·
Registered
3,761 Posts
Even the JB4 EWG upgrade now has the option (Auto Shift Redux) to help resolve compressor surge like the Ecutek wastegate offset. Almost makes BOV's pointless now on an auto turbo car except for the PSSST noise :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
One thing I read while researching this is that the HKS BOV is a commonly counterfeited product. So I'd suggest if you go the HKS route like many of us do, buy from a qualified distributor, and not random-amazon-store/ebay.

Reactions: jodedor

·
Premium Member
3,547 Posts
Diverter valves, also referred to as recirculating valves, are a type of blow-off valve; diverter valves recirculate the excess boost back into the intake tract rather than releasing to the atmosphere like the common aftermarket "blow-off valve" (because it requires significantly more engineering to create an aftermarket recirculating blow-off valve solution rather than one that simply releases to atmosphere).
This would be the ideal way. I had this setup on my Subaru.

One thing I read while researching this is that the HKS BOV is a commonly counterfeited product. So I'd suggest if you go the HKS route like many of us do, buy from a qualified distributor, and not random-amazon-store/ebay.
Especially e-bay. Back in 2013, a reputable local raceshop had ordered 2 from e-bay for another customer. He noticed they had the same serial number.

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,889 Posts
Get from Z1. That way you know it's genuine.

·
Registered
988 Posts
Just bumping this up. Z1 Kit is $648. but I found a kit from AddW1 for $349 which is their own blow off valves. Anyone have this kit can comment on functionality?

·
Registered
2017 Q50 S Red Sport 400 RWD
164 Posts
I know this thread is old, but I went the TurboSmart route. Much quieter than the HKS's. Just a whoosh instead of a whistle. I wasn't looking to draw more attention to my car. I'm 60 years old. If I was 25 or 30, I might have gone with the HKS's. They all pretty much do the same thing. It's up to the individual's preference.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts