Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Check engine light was thrown on the dash. I turned the car off and turned it back on to make sure it would even turn on, and after looking under the hood I see coolant splashed around its reservoir as well as the liquid inside boiling. I’m new to these cars the first thing I was told was to find an OBD2 scanner. Preferably one that connects to an app on my iPhone. Anything helps thank you !

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Any OBD2 scanner will do the job. I would just look at the features and make sure it has all the functions you want so you don’t find yourself buying another one in the future. Personally, I just used my JB4 the one time I got a code.

Reactions: Cantbecw

·
Registered
54 Posts

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
1,139 Posts
Not sure an App would be my 1st priority with a scanner. You use it what a few times a year if you have a couple of older cars? Better to spend extra money on a scanner that can also read ABS and SRS codes as well as the standard OBD codes. You can always Google the code number for instant hints on how to fix any problems. Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: Cantbecw

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
16,595 Posts
Not sure an App would be my 1st priority with a scanner. You use it what a few times a year if you have a couple of older cars? Better to spend extra money on a scanner that can also read ABS and SRS codes as well as the standard OBD codes. You can always Google the code number for instant hints on how to fix any problems. Just my 2 cents.
I agree. I bought a cheap WiFi OBDII scanner with an app and it doesn't have ABS or SRS capability either. Next one will.

Reactions: jcb and Cantbecw

·
Premium Member
2020 Q50RS Pro
239 Posts
This is the one that I use for both my Q50RS and my Mustang Bullitt for diagnostics and programming.

The app itself has specific downloads for supported cars that will give you ABS reporting also and all of the supported CANBUS networks on the Q

·
Premium Member
2018 Q50 Red Sport 400 AWD
6,360 Posts
You and your Amazon-The Canada links...

• Haha
Reactions: Ronin47

·
Registered
54 Posts
As mentioned, the OBDLink MX+ is an excellent choice and can read/clear codes from all modules.
Cost: ~$150-180

OBDFusion (<$10) is the "universal" version of OBDLink (make by the same company OCTech) and for < $14 you can purchase the enhanced diagnostic add on for your car and then can read/clear codes from all modules (ABS, TCM, ECU, etc) as well as view about 200+ additional ECU data items (extended PIDs)

I've been using this for the last 4 years and it always works!

·
Premium Member
2020 Q50RS Pro
239 Posts
As mentioned, the OBDLink MX+ is an excellent choice and can read/clear codes from all modules.
Cost: ~$150-180

OBDFusion (<$10) is the "universal" version of OBDLink (make by the same company OCTech) and for < $14 you can purchase the enhanced diagnostic add on for your car and then can read/clear codes from all modules (ABS, TCM, ECU, etc) as well as view about 200+ additional ECU data items (extended PIDs)

I've been using this for the last 4 years and it always works!
when I purchased my MX+ it came with a voucher for OBDLink and the OEM enhanced features were free for any supported vehicle. Has that changed recently? I use DashCommand once in a while, but you have to purchase the advanced features to get additional diagnostics. For my Bullitt I use FORScan as it has some features not available on other OBD2 apps. i even used it on my old mazda6 since it had a Duratec V6 from Ford in it. 😀

·
Registered
2018 Signature.(sold)
2,762 Posts
I'm been looking at this one called Blue Driver, it works with Both Apple and Android. Yes it's on Amazon.ca, yes Pill it's a Canadian Company.

·
Registered
54 Posts
when I purchased my MX+ it came with a voucher for OBDLink and the OEM enhanced features were free for any supported vehicle. Has that changed recently?
Nope :)
point #4 "Free unlimited OEM-specific data add-ons"

ForScan is a very good tool for Ford/Lincoln and most Mazda vehicles. I use it on my 2015 Mazda 3.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm been looking at this one called Blue Driver, it works with Both Apple and Android. Yes it's on Amazon.ca, yes Pill it's a Canadian Company.
I have used BlueDriver for a few years.

BlueDriver is good tool if you are new to cars and are still learning about how engines work.
It simplifies much of the data and has great graphics. It doesn't have an accurate description for some of the Nissan/Infiniti codes, the PID read speed is slowish (~15 vs 45+ for OBDLinkMX+ on my G37) but overall it is ok.

OBDLink MX+ (with the free OBDLink app) shows all the technical details you want and has a really good diagnostic report. I run this report every time I change oil on my car. This way I can track changes over time... items like catalyst O2 storage, misfires, etc.

Also, any cheap ELM327 ($15), OBDFusion ($10) and a ~$14 enhanced diagnostic add-on reports the same data as the OBDLinkMX+, just maybe a bit slower.

·
Premium Member
2020 Q50RS Pro
239 Posts
Nope :)
point #4 "Free unlimited OEM-specific data add-ons"

ForScan is a very good tool for Ford/Lincoln and most Mazda vehicles. I use it on my 2015 Mazda 3.
I use ForScan on my Mac to program turn off some of the features I hate on may Bullitt. Like the double honk when you leave the car running and exit the car for a moment or the ANC and fake noise. But the best part is actually changing the theme and startup logo. I hated the Mustang boot up, so I changed to the the Ford Performance with the Cobra logo. Much more nicer. :p

Reactions: SonicVR
1 - 15 of 15 Posts