Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
John, you'll love the movie "Father of the Year" in was released in 2018 featuring David Spade...
I'll have to check Netflix and Amazon for it. Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Burger Motorsports/Burger Tuning (BMS) OCC on order and should arrive by the end of
next week along with the other goodies mentioned in the OP.

I have decided to install the HKS BOV kit as well as the BMS OCC kit myself and save
some coin, while having the satisfaction of doing the job myself and doing it right...

I was going to get the W1 V3.3 OCC kit originally but after seeing/reading the issues some
have had with it (fitment) I decided against it...I also looked at the Mishimoto OCC kit, but
that OCC kit has problems with filter/baffle/hose freezing in the winter during sub freezing
temps...

So, the "only" things really left on the agenda I want to do with the RS 400 is the brake
upgrades, new wheels and tires, and AMS/Infiniti (or Visconti Tuning) Heat Exchanger,
even though I never plan to race the car. Extra cooling never hurts the car especially
in the summer months.

BMS OCC for the VR30

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Burger Motorsports/Burger Tuning (BMS) OCC on order and should arrive by the end of
next week along with the other goodies mentioned in the OP.

I have decided to install the HKS BOV kit as well as the BMS OCC kit myself and save
some coin, while having the satisfaction of doing the job myself and doing it right...

I was going to get the W1 V3.3 OCC kit originally but after seeing/reading the issues some
have had with it (fitment) I decided against it...I also looked at the Mishimoto OCC kit, but
that OCC kit has problems with filter/baffle/hose freezing in the winter during sub freezing
temps...

So, the "only" things really left on the agenda I want to do with the RS 400 is the brake
upgrades, new wheels and tires, and AMS/Infiniti (or Visconti Tuning) Heat Exchanger,
even though I never plan to race the car. Extra cooling never hurts the car especially
in the summer months.

BMS OCC for the VR30
Did I just get thread-jacked?

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
John Candy I miss more. Uncle Buck is one of my favorites. I watch it a few times a year. "I keep a hatchet in my truck, want to see it?" 😂🤣😂
Love Uncle Buck!!!

·
Registered
705 Posts

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
...I also looked at the Mishimoto OCC kit, but
temps...
Are you basing that on actual test data?

·
Registered
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
3,466 Posts
I had no problem in 2 winters in NH with my Mishimoto OCC. Just don't go over 3K without empting it. I tried 4K and it was almost full of water. Note: this was in the winter. I now stick to a 2K interval.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I know 2-piece rotors are awesome I just can't justify the price right now. I am debating going SS lines from z1 but Can't decide! RIght now, I am going "best bang for the buck kit"

Here is a quick break-down of my rough pricing and components so far:

Callahan rebuilt Akebonos: $340 Shipped
Powerstop Evolution Pads: (Included with above calipers)
Raybestos S-Wave Rotors $230 Shipped
Z1 OEM Banjo bolts & washers $30 Shipped
Paint & Supplies $30
_
TOTAL $630

Holy F*K, this is an absolute steal for the rebuilt Akebonos. I've been meaning to upgrade to BBK but the rebuilt prices had me looking the other way for awhile. Roughly they were $100 a corner x4 (core fee included, which I could not recuperate due to the steel calipers being the wrong core). These are 340 for 4 + ceramic pads! I just brought them on Amazon thanks to you (y).

It's odd how the semi-loaded are 309 and the loaded are 324. $15 for a set of Powerstop EVOs sounds like a steal too!

Btw, are you going to clear coat your calipers? Did you do primer then paint? If so, which primer did you use? Any sanding of rough edges prior?

- loaded: CCK02905 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Loaded OE Remanufactured Calipers + Ceramic Brake Pads Kit

- semi-loaded: CCK02846 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Semi-Loaded OE Remanufactured Caliper Assembly Set Kit

·
Premium Member
1,516 Posts
Wrong thread...carry on

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Holy F*K, this is an absolute steal for the rebuilt Akebonos. I've been meaning to upgrade to BBK but the rebuilt prices had me looking the other way for awhile. Roughly they were $100 a corner x4 (core fee included, which I could not recuperate due to the steel calipers being the wrong core). These are 340 for 4 + ceramic pads! I just brought them on Amazon thanks to you (y).

It's odd how the semi-loaded are 309 and the loaded are 324. $15 for a set of Powerstop EVOs sounds like a steal too!

Btw, are you going to clear coat your calipers? Did you do primer then paint? If so, which primer did you use? Any sanding of rough edges prior?

- loaded: CCK02905 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Loaded OE Remanufactured Calipers + Ceramic Brake Pads Kit

- semi-loaded: CCK02846 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Semi-Loaded OE Remanufactured Caliper Assembly Set Kit
Yes, same here! I found these links on the 370z group and people were going nuts. They sold out of the first few batches after a few tries, I was in on the second round. I had an issue and only received 3 calipers and my powerstop evolution pads. (I called Callahan and they realized the mistake for only sending me 3, so they're sending me another rear.)

The part numbers for the pads show them as $44 for the fronts and about $30 for the rears if you were to buy them a la carte. So this is a great deal on this combo.

Keep in mind, These are aluminum and used so there were dings I did need to sand them down prior to paint. and spray brake cleaner since they were coated in cosmoline type. The surface had pry marks from where the front and rear housings were separated and random knicks here and there. I sanded the bad parts with 300-500 grit. Also ordered decals off of the etsy website from a custom decal guy. Here's my current status:

I've already painted with VHT white primer, VHT yellow engine paint and clearcoated. It required a lot of thin coats to fill in the wrinkle-finish of the caliper but I think they look pretty good. I'm not a good painter by any means. They look really good in person, not "orange peel" that's the actual caliper texture.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Rotors have arrived. Lined them up to get a preview. Waiting for my IPL caliper decals to come in.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,688 Posts
Enjoy. What is that pattern called?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
For the front end, the brake pad won't cover the full width so I painted mine before installing it. It would be an odd place to see a silver line sandwiched between the black hat and the pad friction area.

·
Registered
157 Posts
21 - 40 of 60 Posts