Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yes, same here! I found these links on the 370z group and people were going nuts. They sold out of the first few batches after a few tries, I was in on the second round. I had an issue and only received 3 calipers and my powerstop evolution pads. (I called Callahan and they realized the mistake for only sending me 3, so they're sending me another rear.)

The part numbers for the pads show them as $44 for the fronts and about $30 for the rears if you were to buy them a la carte. So this is a great deal on this combo.

Keep in mind, These are aluminum and used so there were dings I did need to sand them down prior to paint. and spray brake cleaner since they were coated in cosmoline type. The surface had pry marks from where the front and rear housings were separated and random knicks here and there. I sanded the bad parts with 300-500 grit. Also ordered decals off of the etsy website from a custom decal guy. Here's my current status:

I've already painted with VHT white primer, VHT yellow engine paint and clearcoated. It required a lot of thin coats to fill in the wrinkle-finish of the caliper but I think they look pretty good. I'm not a good painter by any means. They look really good in person, not "orange peel" that's the actual caliper texture.

View attachment 92314
Looks good! I'm wondering if I should use a filler primer to fill in any pits, then sand to smooth. BTW you might want to look into 2K clear coat for a stronger, chemical resistant clear finish. It has a hardener that gets mixed into the spray can prior to spraying. Other rattle can clears remain fairly soft even after drying.

Let me know what you think of the pads!

Spraymax 3680061 2K Clear

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Enjoy. What is that pattern called?
It's what Raybestos calls "S-Wave"

I was just looking for slotted rotors and these seemed o be best brand/bang for buck. $193 + 20 shipping was a good price for them imo.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
For the front end, the brake pad won't cover the full width so I painted mine before installing it. It would be an odd place to see a silver line sandwiched between the black hat and the pad friction area.
View attachment 92343 View attachment 92344
That is odd the extra space there on the contact surface that is not used, high temp gloss black engine paint I may have to do the same as you.... Is the issue the same with the rear rotors?

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
Or worst, a rust ring. How long has the paint held up so far? Did you prime then base coat it?
Honestly, this rotor has probably one of the best factory coating on it. Pictures don't do it justice IMO. It's probably too early to tell for me and I'm pretty sure it'll still rust eventually. The EBC GSD rotor that's only about a month older is already developing rusts on the slots.

I've been using VHT 900ºF spray paint and it's been doing a pretty good job so far on all 3 rotors I've applied it over the past year. No prime/base coat needed.

That is odd the extra space there on the contact surface that is not used, high temp gloss black engine paint I may have to do the same as you.... Is the issue the same with the rear rotors?
I find it odd as well. I think the rear is fine but you can quickly verify by lining up the pads to the outer edge.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Honestly, this rotor has probably one of the best factory coating on it. Pictures don't do it justice IMO. It's probably too early to tell for me and I'm pretty sure it'll still rust eventually. The EBC GSD rotor that's only about a month older is already developing rusts on the slots.

I've been using VHT 900ºF spray paint and it's been doing a pretty good job so far on all 3 rotors I've applied it over the past year. No prime/base coat needed.

I find it odd as well. I think the rear is fine but you can quickly verify by lining up the pads to the outer edge.
+1 these rotors appear to be very nice. As far as value goes, I don't think you can get any other sport size, performance rotors as a set for under $200 that are nicer (slotted/drilled & slotted) I have pleasantly surprised when I checked them out today.

I think I'll have to try out your paint method!

·
Registered
18 Posts
@adro Did your calipers come from Power Stop? My tracking says its coming from them, I know they also produce remanufactured calipers. I thought it would come from Callahan in Ohio?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Guys, could you please help me?
I have a very similar setup - RWD with stock brakes.
I've bought Akebono with 4 calipers from FX35, and I wanna buy powerstop StreetWarrior.
What're your thoughts on how should I choose on Powerstop website for perfect fitment? Should I use fitment for FX35 or RedSport version?

I'll very appreciate your help, cause here in Ukraine nobody knows anything about powerstop and such setup

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
@adro Did your calipers come from Power Stop? My tracking says its coming from them, I know they also produce remanufactured calipers. I thought it would come from Callahan in Ohio?
Yes, Callahan is owned by Power Stop LLC. From what I know they trademarked the Callahan name. But PS & Callahan are both in Illinois. They drop ship for everyone as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I've bought Akebono with 4 calipers from FX35, and I wanna buy powerstop StreetWarrior.
What're your thoughts on how should I choose on Powerstop website for perfect fitment? Should I use fitment for FX35 or RedSport version?

I'll very appreciate your help, cause here in Ukraine nobody knows anything about powerstop and such setup
I can tell you I also have a QX70, essentially the same as FX37, I was looking at Calipers for the QX70 and they are exactly the same. The listing shows that these are the same calipers that come on the FX50, or sport package QX70s pre-2015. The brakes on my 2015 QX70 base brakes look to be EXACTLY the same as my 2015 Q50 base brakes.

If you have a FX35, it has base brakes, Power Stop sells rebuilt base calipers as well as the larger akebono big brakes. If you want to upgrade, you will still have to figure out which 350mm rotors would work on the FX35, potentially would be the same as FX37/QX70. I am assuming you have a 2nd gen FX35, not first gen?

This is all the listed fitments for the SPORT brakes, the large akebono size that run 350mm sport size rotors. Obviously, the base models will not be listed. Only models that come with OEM sport brakes.

2009 - 2013 Infinity FX50 - All Models

2008 Infinity G37 - Sport Models ONLY

2009 - 2010 Infinity G37 - Sport Package (Coupe, Sedan, Convertible) with 355mm (14") Front Rotors ONLY

2011 - 2013 Infinity G37 - Sport Package or IPL Models (Coupe, Sedan, Convertible) with 355mm (14") Front Rotors ONLY

2011 - 2013 Infinity G37 X - Sport Package or IPL Models (Coupe, Sedan, Convertible) with 355mm (14") Front Rotors ONLY

2013 Infinity M35h - Models with 4 Piston Front Calipers and 355mm (13.98") Front Rotors ONLY

2011 - 2012 Infinity M37 - RWD Sport Models ONLY

2013 Infinity M37 - Models with 4 Piston Front Calipers and 355mm (13.98") Front Rotors ONLY

2013 Infinity M37 X - Models with 4 Piston Front Calipers and 355mm (13.98") Front Rotors ONLY

2011 - 2012 Infinity M56 - RWD Sport Models ONLY

2013 Infinity M56 - Models with 4 Piston Front Calipers and 355mm (13.98") Front Rotors ONLY

2013 Infinity M56 X - Models with 4 Piston Front Calipers and 355mm (13.98") Front Rotors ONLY

2014 - 2017 Infinity Q50 - Sport, Hybrid Sport Models ONLY

2014 - 2015 Infinity Q60 - Models w/355mm Front Rotors ONLY

2015 Infinity Q60 - Red Sport Models ONLY

2014 - 2017 Infinity Q70 - Models w/355mm Front Rotors and Sport Brakes ONLY

2015 - 2017 Infinity Q70L - Models w/355mm Front Rotors and Sport Brakes ONLY

2014 Infinity QX70 - Models w/355mm Front Rotors and Sport Brakes ONLY

2009 Nissan 350Z - Models with 4 Piston Front Caliper ONLY

2009 - 2017 Nissan 370Z - Nismo Sport Package (Aluminum Calipers) Models ONLY

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #53

I looked at the links you posted. The first link is wrong, those rotors are the smaller 320mm for base brakes. You need the larger 350mm size rotors.

It looks like the photo in the second link is correct as it shows the correct pads to fit the akebono size calipers. I looked at the specs on JEGS website for the second link and that is what you need for the sport akebono, it will fit a base model Q50 once you cut the brake dist shields.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Updated front page photos now that I have the Infiniti Performance Line Decals on. Ready for install on car once I get time. Unfortunately, someone wrecked into me the other day so car will be in the shop probably next 2 weeks.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
@adro , Thanks a lot! I'm ordering Power Stop Extreme Performance Warrior Z26 Brake Kits | Power Stop

You're right, it fits for all of FX, QX
Actually, I don't know from which FX gen I have )))
Hey since you mentioned Z26, pls be aware that while it has higher coefficient of friction than, say, Power Stop z23, its bedding-in period takes a really long time. Just to give you an idea, it took my SUV to complete the bed-in in about 2k miles. On my Q50, it's been 500+ miles now and it hasn't fully bedded-in - that's even after performing the documented bed-in procedure 3x. It isn't really an issue since its "hot" friction (~120 C and above) will still make you feel as if your face is peeling off. Fully bedded-in will only make the cold / initial bite stronger, and by stronger I meant stock-like at least. The upside is there is almost no dust to speak of.

·
Super Moderator
2017 Q50 Red Sport 400 RWD
2,688 Posts
Hey since you mentioned Z26, pls be aware that while it has higher coefficient of friction than, say, Power Stop z23, its bedding-in period takes a really long time. Just to give you an idea, it took my SUV to complete the bed-in in about 2k miles. On my Q50, it's been 500+ miles now and it hasn't fully bedded-in - that's even after performing the documented bed-in procedure 3x. It isn't really an issue since its "hot" friction (~120 C and above) will still make you feel as if your face is peeling off. Fully bedded-in will only make the cold / initial bite stronger, and by stronger I meant stock-like at least. The upside is there is almost no dust to speak of.
q, how does one know the bed-in process is not complete? Squeaking? Or?

·
Registered
3 Posts
@q50adix It's an excellent idea, man! I didn't know about it. My regional sales manager also tried to explain to me that the Evolution series would be better. But I was so expired those marketing pitches about Extreme (z26) series)

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
7,342 Posts
You should see a grayish film on the rotor and the rotor will also have a blueish tint to indicate that the rotor reached a proper break-in temperature.

·
Registered
2,842 Posts
In my opinion, it is when you consistently get the max coefficient of friction of the given pad. For example, Power Stop Z26 is rated as GG (vs FF for OEM). There is no way to measure this without proper equipment but between GG and FF any driver will definitely feel the difference during cold and warm braking. Squeaking is a feature of some brake pads though ;)

Most will exhibit that grayish film and the rotor tint that Avedis described but for Power Stop and EBC, this won't be enough. EBC is a bit different as it already has special factory coating to aide the process which only takes a few hundred miles. The Infiniti R-spec pads on the other hand has a relatively short bed-in process.

@q50adix It's an excellent idea, man! I didn't know about it. My regional sales manager also tried to explain to me that the Evolution series would be better. But I was so expired those marketing pitches about Extreme (z26) series)
I almost ditched it but glad I gave it the benefit of the doubt and waited. Power Stop says its thermally scorched surface helps in faster break-in but that isn't the case for my 2 sets - unless they have different definition of "faster" bed-in process. Another thing I should mention is Power Stop uses adhesive to hold the shim in place. The adhesive sort of liquifies on very hot temp, like during bed-in process. It won't be enough to drip but the shim would have a tendency to shift. It happened on my SUV. I haven't inspected it on the Q yet but hopefully it didn't.

41 - 60 of 60 Posts