Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

81 - 95 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
I wish I had an EMP transmitter I could discharge at every car I see where the driver is either talking or texting on their phone while driving. Same thing for left-lane bandits.
HAHAH! Yes But easily abused!

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,178 Posts
Reactions: adro

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
UPDATES: Finally got car back from shop and started on Big Brake install. Off with the baby akebono and on with the BIG BOYS! I got one wheel done today, and by that I mean a rotor and caliper with brake line switched over. No pads in yet. Ran out of time for today since I started so late.

Old rotor removed. Was super stuck on and rusty. Sprayed penetrating oil in middle hub area and beat the rotor face with a BFH. Steel wire brushed and sprayed with brake cleaner. Trimmed THE F outta the brake dust shield since its worthless and painted the remainder of it gloss black.

New rotor on. See old caliper hanging with zip tie. MAKE SURE YOU CRACK THE Banjo bolt loose BEFORE you remove the 2X 22MM caliper bolts, I did not do this and make it hard to break it loose. Line up new rotor with lug nuts to help hold it straight.

Money shot.

2 New copper washers and Z1 motorsports banjo bolt. Nice cross-section view of rotor.

The QX70S & G35 in the background reflection, envious of the Q50 getting modded.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #84
I had a MFP ( MAJOR FUCKIN PROBLEM) today trying to install the other front caliper. It turns out the brake line hole on the caliper was stripped out/cross threaded and I could not use the caliper. Long story but I had already called Callahan/PS and told them I was missing caliper pens and brake pad retainers, as well as a whole freaking caliper.

So, by some crazy fate, they had sent an extra passenger caliper which is exactly what I needed but alas, it was bare so I had to do a quick "on-the-fly" repaint and now I need a new decal.... Enjoy my frustrations:

Reactions: Jonjostar

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #85 (Edited)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Looking clean. Ordered my remans from Rockauto. And funny enough had the same issue with one of my calipers. Literally the last one I was putting on too 😪 but all good now. Hopefully will have pictures soon

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Looking clean. Ordered my remans from Rockauto. And funny enough had the same issue with one of my calipers. Literally the last one I was putting on too 😪 but all good now. Hopefully will have pictures soon
Thank you. What rotors are you running & what brake bleeder method did you use?

Yes, 2- calipers I had issues. One was not even threaded, and the other threads were crossthreaded on another. My banjo bolt was leaking so I had to get another new one. I will say I appreciated the customer service from Callahan. They sent new ones right out.

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Good luck! Will you be painting yours as well or sticking with whatever color it comes with?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Thank you. What rotors are you running & what brake bleeder method did you use?

Yes, 2- calipers I had issues. One was not even threaded, and the other threads were crossthreaded on another. My banjo bolt was leaking so I had to get another new one. I will say I appreciated the customer service from Callahan. They sent new ones right out.
I got some centric blanks with some coating on them from rock auto. I wish would’ve remembered your post before I ordered, but they still serve there purpose well
Good luck! Will you be painting yours as well or sticking with whatever color it comes with?
I stuck with the red powder coat they came with. Actually what I wanted. But looking at some of these different colors on the Facebook group might change them up down the line lol

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
I kind of wish I went with the red PC version. From bleeding my brakes I have a few imperfections and knicks in the paint, also scrapes and lost some paint around the bleeder valves from brake fluid erosion just eating the paint off lol.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I kind of wish I went with the red PC version. From bleeding my brakes I have a few imperfections and knicks in the paint, also scrapes and lost some paint around the bleeder valves from brake fluid erosion just eating the paint off lol.
Forgot to respond to the bleeding part. I got some knicks on some from not being careful and setting them on the concrete but nothing crazy. Figured they didn’t use the best quality paint. I had a hand vacuum bleeder I was gonna use But couldn’t find my fittings. So did the old school two person method. I didn’t get corrosion thought when fluid got on the paint either lol

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,178 Posts
Brake fluid reacts quickly with clear coat and will damage it in 5 minutes. In 10 minutes, the clear coat will be ruined and visible stains will occur and in 30 minutes the underlying paint will be damaged.

If you get brake fluid on your paint, you should:

Blot it up as opposed to wiping it. Wiping will spread the brake fluid and expand the area that has been affected.

Wash the affected area with car wash detergent and water with a clean rag or sponge.

Rinse thoroughly with lots of water.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Holy F*K, this is an absolute steal for the rebuilt Akebonos. I've been meaning to upgrade to BBK but the rebuilt prices had me looking the other way for awhile. Roughly they were $100 a corner x4 (core fee included, which I could not recuperate due to the steel calipers being the wrong core). These are 340 for 4 + ceramic pads! I just brought them on Amazon thanks to you (y).

It's odd how the semi-loaded are 309 and the loaded are 324. $15 for a set of Powerstop EVOs sounds like a steal too!

Btw, are you going to clear coat your calipers? Did you do primer then paint? If so, which primer did you use? Any sanding of rough edges prior?

- loaded: CCK02905 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Loaded OE Remanufactured Calipers + Ceramic Brake Pads Kit

- semi-loaded: CCK02846 FRONT + REAR [4] Premium Grade Semi-Loaded OE Remanufactured Caliper Assembly Set Kit
Did you get your calipers and rotors installed yet? Curious on how your progress is coming along.

·
Premium Member
2015 Q50 AWD Premium
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
I got some centric blanks with some coating on them from rock auto. I wish would’ve remembered your post before I ordered, but they still serve there purpose well

I stuck with the red powder coat they came with. Actually what I wanted. But looking at some of these different colors on the Facebook group might change them up down the line lol
Did you get yours all 100% completed? Post some photos of the Powerstops if you can!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not the best but snapped some quick ones before the gym. Finished the install last month and finally installed the SS brake lines today lol

Attachments

81 - 95 of 95 Posts