Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
If you don’t want to rattle can it with nightshade or anything like that and want a finish that will last, you will probably have to get it chrome dipped at a custom shop.

When I lived in Colorado Springs, Colorado there was a shop named Grizzlies customs that did chrome dipping and could tint the chrome any color you want. What the difference is between chrome dip and chrome plate, I don’t know. I only know that there’s not a lot of shops that do actual chrome plating. From what Ive been told it requires some pretty nasty chemicals and special (read expensive) facilities to do it.

Reactions: Irid50qBlue

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
I worked in the electroplating department at Tektronix for a summer as an engineering intern. We did a lot of chrome plating (hard chrome plating) and nickel/chrome plating (decorative chrome plating) as well as other metals including gold. Chrome is always applied by electroplating so there's no difference between plating or dipping. They refer to the same process. Chromium trioxide (CrO3) is used as a source of hexavalent chromium (Cr+6 ions) in the plating bath plus sulfuric acid. Lead is used for the anode while the part to be plated is the cathode. The bath temperature is controlled as well as the current density to optimize the deposition.

This is an extremely toxic process using corrosive acids (chromic and sulfuric). Hexavalent chromium is the most toxic form of chromium as it is regulated by the EPA as a human carcinogen. The plating process also produces lead chromates which are toxic. Ventilation and wet-scrubbing systems are used to recover the hexavalent chromium and the water is treated to precipitate the chromium out of the water before it is discharged.

This process is inherently dangerous and as a result, you don't see many mom and pop plating shops. It's an expensive process with lots of regulations to prevent exposure to humans.
Thank you for sharing! I’ve been really fascinated by etching and plating lately, so I’d love to hear more about the process. But as that would be a derail/hijack, I won’t directly ask lol

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
That’s awesome!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts