Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody planning to get Burger Motorsports’ 3.0T Billet Performance Intake? Just got released today.

From their website:

Featuring high quality S&B inverted cone filters the BMS intake offers the highest possible flow in an attractive and easy to install/remove package. By replacing your restrictive factory airboxes throttle response is improved and you finally get to hear what is really going on under the hood. Power gains are in the 5-15hp range. The higher your boost levels, the more of a gain you'll see. Machined heat shields ensure incoming air is directed from the factory cold air openings. MAF housings are CNC machined and anodized black for a precision fit and long life.

Installation is very easy taking the average enthusiast minutes to install or remove right in their driveway and in addition to the performance benefits looks great under the hood. Our proprietary high flow S&B filters should be cleaned every 15-25k miles. Made in USA.

Features and Benifits
• Adds 5-15 Horsepower
• Improved throttle response
• Improved engine sound
• CNC machined MAF housings
• Includes heat shields
• Looks great under the hood
• Cleanable and reusable filters
• Easy installation and removal
• Made in the USA

$299 Special Introductory Price
$349 Regular Price

http://burgertuning.com/bms_Infiniti_q50_q60_billet_performance_intake.html

·
Registered
649 Posts
Oh, this is exciting. Will probably hold off on purchasing it (even though I trust BMS) considering how many problems people have had with intakes on these cars.
^^ this. Happy with what I have assembled thus far including the JB system by BMS but intake wise, I'll await others to report back how it's performing. I will say I love the pricing. It's refreshing to see accessories and upgrades for a platform not be overpriced by 2-3x. **** German parts I came from are ridiculously expensive.

Reactions: BigHeadClan

·
Registered
334 Posts
Interesting design, but I may skip this one after the Stillen ordeal. BMS most likely addressed the drivability issues stemming from the MAF placement, but these intakes will still grab hot air from the engine bay. On the highway, it wont make a difference, but if you are in traffic, it may just add to the heat soak. Especially if you are still running the stock heat exchanger.

Still tempting though, would pair nicely with my JB4.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Probably hold off until AMS releases theirs, like the closed design. I went through the issues with stillen, will let others test it out like I did with AEM. AEM and Stillen have issues, hopefully Burger doesn't.

·
2018 Q50 AWD Red Sport
8,088 Posts
I'm not a fan of oiled filters. They provide better air flow but are not as efficient as dry filters. They require routine cleaning and proper re-oiling. Excess oiling can cause MAF sensor fouling.

I'm skeptical of any horsepower improvement that these replacement filters claim. I'll wait to see how others fare with these. I'd like to see BMS run dynos on these to verify HP improvement.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
Yeah I had this type of Intake on my G35 back in the day. It's a real PITA, they also don't filter as well. The only reason for these are for the sound, I'm waiting for AMS to see what they come up with. I don't expect any gains from intakes.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Indeed, guys. I’m also waiting for the results of others with BMS’s Intakes. One downside to BMS’s Intakes is that it’s not CARB Approved.

If anybody wants to know, I’m still running LoganB’s Modified Stillen Intakes (CARB Approved) on my 17 RS RWD.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just installed these today. I like them, they add a bit of a noise sound on the inside with the subtle spool whistle and even more subtle PPSSSSHHHH everyone likes to hear, but it isn't nearly as loud as other intakes for other turbo cars. That could be a good thing for most of us. From the outside though, WOW the change in tone and the quality of the sound (in combo with the Helmholtz exhaust) is exactly what you'd want a powerful twin turbo V6 to sound like. The install though... where do I begin haha. Lets just say their attention to fitment detail is severely lacking, pretty bad but with a lot of dremel action and bending on what they call "heat shields", and some spacers on the bracket mounts, it all came together. Drives great, no CEL, no shifting issues, no complaints at all once installed.

If you want to buy these, do what I did and wait for a 20% off promo on Ebay so these only run you $250, they aren't worth more than that, or even that if I'm honest. Still, I'm happy with them despite the install trouble.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I just installed these today. I like them, they add a bit of a noise sound on the inside with the subtle spool whistle and even more subtle PPSSSSHHHH everyone likes to hear, but it isn't nearly as loud as other intakes for other turbo cars. That could be a good thing for most of us. From the outside though, WOW the change in tone and the quality of the sound (in combo with the Helmholtz exhaust) is exactly what you'd want a powerful twin turbo V6 to sound like. The install though... where do I begin haha. Lets just say their attention to fitment detail is severely lacking, pretty bad but with a lot of dremel action and bending on what they call "heat shields", and some spacers on the bracket mounts, it all came together. Drives great, no CEL, no shifting issues, no complaints at all once installed.

If you want to buy these, do what I did and wait for a 20% off promo on Ebay so these only run you $250, they aren't worth more than that, or even that if I'm honest. Still, I'm happy with them despite the install trouble.

Did your exhaust note change post install of the intakes?

·
Registered
684 Posts
Has anyone tried both the Stillen and the BMS intakes on a red sport? Any comments on the performance of either? Stillen is currently on sale for $400 a piece so wondering if it's worth the extra $100.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Did your exhaust note change post install of the intakes?
Yes, it's... in a word... magnificent!

Has anyone tried both the Stillen and the BMS intakes on a red sport? Any comments on the performance of either? Stillen is currently on sale for $400 a piece so wondering if it's worth the extra $100.
Many have tried the Stillen, I think very few have had success with them (shifting/transmission issues, CEL's, hesitation, etc). BMS is solid thus far minus fitment issues which are easily fixed with the right tools.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Many have tried the Stillen, I think very few have had success with them (shifting/transmission issues, CEL's, hesitation, etc). BMS is solid thus far minus fitment issues which are easily fixed with the right tools.
Yeah everything I've read on the forums seems to be people complaining that the stillen cause serious performance issues but also everyone has a different setup so it's hard to even tell what it is that isn't playing well with the Stillen.

I spoke with Kenny at Stillen and he says it's an issue with the 2nd gear in RS400 models where the ECU cuts power. It does this stock though anyway (I've noticed) so I'm wondering if just mapping extra boost with a JB4 in 2nd gear would make that go away?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey guys, pretty new here. Just finished installing the BMS, mostly. I can’t get them on evenly no matter how hard I tried. I spent about 4 hours just to get the uneven set up I have now. Went to put the radiator cover back on and found out it won’t fit because the passenger side intake is too far forward. But with bracket and it’s location I can’t move it any far back.

·
Premium Member
2017 Q50 RWD Premium
182 Posts
Lol - welcome to the club. Even with the “new” brackets BMS released in 12/19 the filters are not lined up...

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
When I had the BMS kit on my Q60 I remember fussing with it for quite awhile trying to get the filters to "sit" right. I ended up getting some spacers and longer bolts to use with the BMS brackets and with some trial and error finally got the filters almost evenly situated. Still not perfect, but at least acceptable. Hope you get your setup to work ok.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts