Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
BMS just released their pedal tuner to be compatible with our Q's. With how lazy our transmissions are with our throttle response, I think this would be a fun little mod. Even on Ecutek, my throttle response is lazy outside of manual mode.

Anyone planning on buying it?

NEW! BMS Pedal Tuner - BurgerTuning.com

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
Not unless they make it wireless. I don't need more cables in the cockpit. I am interested in feedback from someone who does buy this though.

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
This seems kind of fail. Can't you manually shift and keep more foot in it to achieve the same result? Plus the lanky wire with no place to go kind of sucks.

Unless it includes the 5hp sticker.

·
Registered
344 Posts
BMS just released their pedal tuner to be compatible with our Q's. With how lazy our transmissions are with our throttle response, I think this would be a fun little mod. Even on Ecutek, my throttle response is lazy outside of manual mode.

Anyone planning on buying it?

NEW! BMS Pedal Tuner - BurgerTuning.com
Lazy is an understatement. Mine is in the highest gear at 1300RPM as soon as Im cruising. I drive in manual mode 100% of the time because of it. If you try it, report back with the findings.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Doesn't sport mode accomplish the same thing? I'm pretty happy with the pedal response in sport and sport+

·
Registered
196 Posts
How does it work with the pedal and safety nanny intrusions? I know the pedal assemblies are different if you have the active collision avoidance.

·
Registered
52 Posts
All, I am not sold on the cable and how that can tuck in and not get in the way. I'm hoping someone can be the guinea pig and purchase, install and test one? Let us all know ....

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,889 Posts
I will have this shortly....it changes the accelerator input to TPS ratio.
IMHO this makes it touchier.. Your, foot can do this.. I find Sport+ adequate. Floored is 100% throttle regardless of the "Programmer."
I have this in my diesel programmer, a "Smarty" It's called torque management, with it set at no torque management it is almost impossible to plow, and caused the rear end to step out easily, especially on wet pavement in 2 wheel drive.

I prefer to use my foot to control the throttle. I like the level of control provided by the stock mode selection.

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Banned
52 Posts
My understanding of these pedal tuners are they open the throttle body sooner. Yea you can press the gas pedal 100% but there is a delay from when you press it, electronic signals are sent to the throttle bodies and then they open. This hacks that signal and gives you a faster response. Eliminating the lag that we often feel. Its been said to help with reaction times and launches, particularly if you track your car for 1/4 mile testing. I just ordered one so I will give a review as soon as its installed.

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
*Update* its not compatible with 2018 Q50s with active brake assist / collision prevention. Had to return mine
I was wondering about that when I first saw this product. Since DCA, ICC, FEB and even the ECO pedal system all depend on the accelerator control system to operate properly, modifying the accelerator response with the pedal tuner would likely cause problems with these associated systems.

Reactions: JohnInNH

·
Registered
72 Posts
Reviving this thread. I purchased the pedal tuner a week and a half ago. Got it to me in two days. Install is very easy. Cable can be hidden with no problems. I am super impressed how it works. I hate having to floor a car with over 400 HP to get it to pass. With the tuner installed it makes passing just a little press of the gas. What would take a 3/4 pedal, now is done in 1/4 throttle or less. It is super responsive. I am VERY happy with it. For 180 bucks, it's a no brainer. But it does make the throttle super touchy, so be careful. Running mine on max.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I had brought up the topic of lag/poor throttle response last year after a few months of ownership with my Q50. To your point, a 330hp car should break the tires loose if you slam the pedal down from a stand still. Due to our cars having throttle-by-wire it does not matter how fast the driver presses the pedal. The cars computer is programmed to only open the throttle in a controlled and smooth way so that the acceleration is fast, but safe and controlled. This has been the biggest upset on this car with an engine so powerful yet so 'policed' by the computer.

Anyway, what I have always been searching for is a way to hack the computer to open the throttle faster. NOT earlier in the pedal position as that just seems stupid and is not the real issue. The root issue as i see it, in my particular car, is the time from pedal 100% to throttle 100%. I want it equal to my foot input.

It sounds like pedal commander just makes 80% pedal input = 100%, but this will not actually speed up the electric/mechanical throttle open procedure?

I'd like to know if you can break your tires loose from a stand still with this mod?? If yes, then i assume the throttle and full power are delivered more instantly and then YES i would like to buy that ;P

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,228 Posts
Where are you guys placing/mounting your selector?

·
Administrator
Newport, Oregon
13,833 Posts
I had brought up the topic of lag/poor throttle response last year after a few months of ownership with my Q50. To your point, a 330hp car should break the tires loose if you slam the pedal down from a stand still. Due to our cars having throttle-by-wire it does not matter how fast the driver presses the pedal. The cars computer is programmed to only open the throttle in a controlled and smooth way so that the acceleration is fast, but safe and controlled. This has been the biggest upset on this car with an engine so powerful yet so 'policed' by the computer.

Anyway, what I have always been searching for is a way to hack the computer to open the throttle faster. NOT earlier in the pedal position as that just seems stupid and is not the real issue. The root issue as i see it, in my particular car, is the time from pedal 100% to throttle 100%. I want it equal to my foot input.

It sounds like pedal commander just makes 80% pedal input = 100%, but this will not actually speed up the electric/mechanical throttle open procedure?

I'd like to know if you can break your tires loose from a stand still with this mod?? If yes, then i assume the throttle and full power are delivered more instantly and then YES i would like to buy that ;P
The accelerator pedal position is transmitted to the ECM. The ECM operates the throttle control motor to open and close the throttle valve. The current opening angle of the throttle valve is detected by the throttle position sensor and fed back to the ECM so the ECM can properly control the throttle control motor to make the throttle valve opening angle open in response to driving conditions.

I don't think there is a simple way to speed that up...or any way at all for that matter. Regardless, VDC will do what it can to prevent tires from breaking loose if slippage is detected, even if VDC is turned off.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
I have a PC in my 2019 RAM Limited and LOVE IT! I was looking to get a PC for the Q50RS but PC states on their web site NOT compatible with adaptive cruise:(

I am going to ask the BMS guys if there are any restrictions with their unit. For those above questioning its usefulness...it makes a significant change to the TPS and you can dial in the sensitivity to be right where you want it. I suggest that you don't knock it and what it does to the feel of the car until you experience it first hand;)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts