Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
Where are you guys placing/mounting your selector?
I ran the controller and wiring to the left of the steering wheel column, and it is velcro'd to the plastic panel to the right of the hood release. I have mine set to "Red" with no "-"/"+" dialed-in.

When I go in for service, I can tuck behind the panel out-of-site... 0:)

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Not unless they make it wireless. I don't need more cables in the cockpit. I am interested in feedback from someone who does buy this though.
What I like about the Pedal Commander is that it has built-in Bluetooth and can be controlled by an app on your phone. Therefore, I can hide it away where it cannot be seen and make tweaks to it via my phone. After 6 months of use, I have it dialed in exactly where I want it so I just leave it alone and let it do its thing. Would be nice if BMS added a BT feature as well. Too bad that the PC is not compatible with my car:(

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
Just received an email from Ando at BMS. He stated that the BMS unit will not work on my 2019 Q50RS:(

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts
I ran the controller and wiring to the left of the steering wheel column, and it is velcro'd to the plastic panel to the right of the hood release. I have mine set to "Red" with no "-"/"+" dialed-in.

When I go in for service, I can tuck behind the panel out-of-site... 0:)

Thanks IRS400. Overall, would you recommend a purchase?

Does anyone know if it's been proven that it takes time off 0-60, quarter mile, etc?

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
It does not make the car any faster and adds no HP or Torque. It simply allows you to dial in the sensitivity of the pedal for a quicker response. The stats on the car remain the same but the seat of the pants feel is AWESOME! I really wish I could get one for 2019 but it is what it is...

·
Premium Member
SW New Hampshire
4,889 Posts
I like the OEM peddle programming. Just my taste. Lots of my driving is on open roads and highway. I like to be able to feather the peddle gently.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I got one directly from BMS. I watched one of the videos off the Internet on how to install it. Unscrewing the pedal was not a breeze. I had to break out the latch covering the two bolts. Examining the latch showed that the plastic locking bits had to be broken off.

There were no clear instructions on turning it on anywhere. When trying to calibrate, I got an error message "Key ID is not recognised". One is instructed to press the buttons "+" and "-" simultaneously to enter the calibrating stage, pump the pedal a few times, and then press the third button to save the calibration. It was not clear whether I should have let go the the buttons "+" and "-" when pressing the third button. After fumbling with the buttons, and pressing the "Start" button on the car, the calibration was saved, and the error message was gone. Apparently, one does not need to press any button anymore to save the calibration profile.

I switched to the second (middle) setting out of the three. It came to the middle of the range. My intention was to make the car livelier, but still smooth. After 20 minutes of driving to work, I pressed the "-" button. The car was still jerky, thus I pressed "-" again. It stays over there.

What can I say about my impressions ? The device is probably worth $100 but not $179 (I paid shipping $53 as well). At my work, we had the locally-made Ford and Holden utes which I drove sometimes (they had 4 litre engine). Most of the power was released when the accelerator was slightly pressed. Apparently, the locals liked it this way, so that it was programmed from the beginning, according to the car reviews. To me, the car behaviour was unrefined and jerky. Thus, I was doubtful about the utility of the pedal tuner for my Infiniti, but I read so many raving reviews about it that I wanted to try one.

What I noticed (that is not described anywhere) is that the car now shakes when I take the foot of the brake pedal, and the engine wakes up from hibernation. The throttle lag, indeed, decreased... maybe from 0.8 second to 0.4 second. It is slightly perceptible, but is nothing to write home about. This was why I wrote above that the device was worth maybe $100 to me. In conclusion, I would say that for me, the device is 70% gimmick, 30% real thing.

·
Super Moderator
Murrieta, CA, USA
7,259 Posts
I got one directly from BMS. I watched one of the videos off the Internet on how to install it. Unscrewing the pedal was not a breeze. I had to break out the latch covering the two bolts. Examining the latch showed that the plastic locking bits had to be broken off.

There were no clear instructions on turning it on anywhere. When trying to calibrate, I got an error message "Key ID is not recognised". One is instructed to press the buttons "+" and "-" simultaneously to enter the calibrating stage, pump the pedal a few times, and then press the third button to save the calibration. It was not clear whether I should have let go the the buttons "+" and "-" when pressing the third button. After fumbling with the buttons, and pressing the "Start" button on the car, the calibration was saved, and the error message was gone. Apparently, one does not need to press any button anymore to save the calibration profile.

I switched to the second (middle) setting out of the three. It came to the middle of the range. My intention was to make the car livelier, but still smooth. After 20 minutes of driving to work, I pressed the "-" button. The car was still jerky, thus I pressed "-" again. It stays over there.

What can I say about my impressions ? The device is probably worth $100 but not $179 (I paid shipping $53 as well). At my work, we had the locally-made Ford and Holden utes which I drove sometimes (they had 4 litre engine). Most of the power was released when the accelerator was slightly pressed. Apparently, the locals liked it this way, so that it was programmed from the beginning, according to the car reviews. To me, the car behaviour was unrefined and jerky. Thus, I was doubtful about the utility of the pedal tuner for my Infiniti, but I read so many raving reviews about it that I wanted to try one.

What I noticed (that is not described anywhere) is that the car now shakes when I take the foot of the brake pedal, and the engine wakes up from hibernation. The throttle lag, indeed, decreased... maybe from 0.8 second to 0.4 second. It is slightly perceptible, but is nothing to write home about. This was why I wrote above that the device was worth maybe $100 to me. In conclusion, I would say that for me, the device is 70% gimmick, 30% real thing.
Wow, brutal honesty! Now I am not as excited about receiving my Pedal Box! But thanks for the write up. Always good to hear different perspectives.

Mine is en route from Germany now.....

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
So I've had three pedal tuners - one on my Q60 (tuned) and two on my Audi's (one tuned, one stock).

The BMS Pedal tuner instructions are on the box. The calibration works the same as the DTE PedalBox - power off, separate the pedal connection (after removing the pedal assembly on the Q), connect the pedal tuner, re-install the pedal assembly (Q only), power up, press and hold the "+" and "-" buttons for a few seconds until the "O" blinks/changes color, press the pedal through its range a few times, and then save the calibration by pressing the "O" button. Easy-peasy...

Ok, why should you purchase a pedal tuner? These pedal tuners are simply changing the gain of the pedal command from the pedal, which is read by the ECU. In the stock condition, the pedal gain is not linear, due to the ECU S/W, but more of a shallow gain right-off the un-pressed position, and then switches to a higher gain once past 1/4 pedal travel. Why? Apparently this helps manufacturers meet fuel economy and emissions, because although the ECU, throttle body, and injectors are more than capable of providing more fuel and air off-idle, the fuel economy #'s and emissions would suffer in the EPA drive cycle for fuel mileage certification (auto start/stop is another gimmick in the EPA drive cycle #'s game).

For every day driving, I call this "shallow gain" at the beginning of pedal travel behaving almost like "deadband" in control terms, where you move the pedal, and response is not 1:1. The pedal tuner re-maps the pedal position vs gain to make it more proportional-like, at selectable gain levels, depending on user selection. The most obvious change made is the engine response right off idle, no more pedal lag. In addition, when applying throttle at road speed, the engine response is immediate in higher gears for passing, for example.

Driving with the PedalBox on my Audi SQ5 w/3.0T V6, it made a big difference in the pedal response - whereas before during a slow right turn I'd have to really get into the pedal to get an engine response to accelerate out of the turn, that lack of response is gone. The throttle also picks up much faster at road speed when attempting to accelerate in like, 5th or 6th gear, and the car will accelerate in that gear vs downshift previously.

As mentioned in other threads, I have the BMS Pedal Tuner on my '17 Q60S AWD w/Ecutek tune. My Q does not have FEB or ICC, which is why the BMS Pedal Tuner has a limited use in the V37/CV37 Q50s & Q60s. It appears to me, now driving with both pedal tuners on two different makes of cars, that PedalBox has a more aggressive pedal gain than the BMS version. For my Q60, I set the BMS to Stage 3 (most gain), with no bias. With my SQ5, I have the PedalBox set to Sport (no bias), which is equivalent to Stage 3 on the BMS version. That leaves the Sport+ for an even higher gain, and City for the lowest gain. I do have the BT App for PedalBox, so I've been able to play around with the settings on a limited basis.

From my perspective, it's not a gimmick - it fixes a manufacturer induced design feature that may help meet fuel economy #'s, but would negatively impact my driving experience. For me, the couple of hundred buck mod is worth it. YMMV.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Wow, brutal honesty! Now I am not as excited about receiving my Pedal Box! But thanks for the write up. Always good to hear different perspectives.

Mine is en route from Germany now.....
I might have been biased in my message: I concentrated on negatives, and did not give enough of prominence for the positives. There is a desirable function in all those throttle response controllers. The modern ECUs are programmed in such a way that no matter how fast you press the accelerator, the butterfly valve opens slowly. The throttle controller applies higher voltage, and apparently this dupes the ECU in opening up the valve faster. There is a video with the demonstration of the effect which I cannot find right now. So, the effect is real, and you will enjoy it.

The question is only how much it is worth to you. A ROI (return on investment), so to speak. Some people roll in cash, and it is nothing for them to splurge $300 on it. For me, the threshold is lower.

I have driven already for several days with the BMS pedal tuner. The memories of how much I paid for it faded from my memory. I keep it in the second (orange) setting, and I returned it to the middle of the range (unbiased). Maybe the car adapted to my style of driving. It is response to the accelerator depression is like what it is supposed to be.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
14 Posts
How does it work with the pedal and safety nanny intrusions? I know the pedal assemblies are different if you have the active collision avoidance.
I just installed the launch pad pedal control in my Q50 sport it's got sport sport Plus race and drag mode and I have all the active safety with the deluxe tech package and basically you get some dashboard lights but it works perfectly fine and throttle response is anywhere from zero to 100% better!!🚀💥

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
14 Posts
I just installed the launch pad pedal control in my Q50 sport it's got sport sport Plus race and drag mode and I have all the active safety with the deluxe tech package and basically you get some dashboard lights but it works perfectly fine and throttle response is anywhere from zero to 100% better!!🚀💥
So basically you have to disable your forward collision and your aeb but now I drive with just the tip of my toe on the pedal instead of having to put my whole foot into it and with just my toe controlling the accelerator the response is exactly how I want it very light equals max power Sprint also offers one that is compatible with the safety features they claim but pedal Commander would not sell me one because they know I'm going to get a malfunction light Launchpad just wants to sell units and they have no problem with me getting malfunction light which I can just switch to MPG etc but anything that will fit the plug works perfectly as intended,,,

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
14 Posts
With throttle controllers ranging from as low as $50 up to $300 depending on your budget I don't think anyone would be disappointed with what it does especially for the Q it's worth 10 minutes installation time and as little as $50 to thoroughly enjoy driving your car and having immediate throttle response without having to stomp all the way down and basically open the gates of hell on your motor,,,lol

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
The PedalBox pedal tuner from DTE Systems is supposed to be compliant with FEB and/or ICC-equipped Q50s/Q60s.

Reactions: ptatohed

·
Registered
32 Posts
From my perspective, it's not a gimmick - it fixes a manufacturer induced design feature that may help meet fuel economy #'s, but would negatively impact my driving experience. For me, the couple of hundred buck mod is worth it. YMMV.
I wish i could get a throttle controller which not only changed the curve "throttle vs pedal depression distance". I would like to be able to press the accelerator pedal slowly, and have the long effector distance (say, 100% of travel distance). If I press the acceleration quickly, then the full throttle should come up at, say, 50% of the pedal travel distance.

It would be similar to the braking system which some car have nowadays: if you press the brake pedal quickly, but not the full distance, the breaks will hyper-react to the input, and lock the brakes. This was implemented because it was found when the drivers face the dangerous situation needing to brake, they depress the pedal quickly but only part-way in.

·
Registered
2014 Q50 Sport
14 Posts
All, I am not sold on the cable and how that can tuck in and not get in the way. I'm hoping someone can be the guinea pig and purchase, install and test one? Let us all know ....
I installed a Launchpad throttle controller in my 2014 Q50 sport and I have to deal with a dashboard saying vehicle malfunction consult owners manual",, after seeing the warning I just changed the info screen to whatever I wanted to be MPG compass etc I put the cable in between the two sets of floor mats I have and it works fantastic it's got five different modes and I don't have to open the car all the way up to get fantastic throttle response I can be going very slowly and just drive with the tip of my toe or I can at higher speeds just tap it a little more and it opens up,,, I've owned another brand that my previous vehicle was destroyed in the flood and I installed a Sprint on my friend's mustang because they were the only manufacturer that offered one and if it fits the connection other than that warning it works fine and you know I can always disconnect it two or three minutes and reconnect it to original..

21 - 37 of 37 Posts