Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this may be very controversial, but it is what my wife wanted based on the crappy, non-caring drivers here in Florida (but I think it also applies to all areas of this great nation) that just slam their car door into yours without hesitation.

I purchased custom body side molding and took it to a custom paint shop to have it painted. It took about 2 weeks, as color matching Dynamic Sunstone Red is a royal PITA. I just got it back on Friday and did the installation myself on Saturday. I think it turned out amazing and has a very low profile look and the match is perfect.

I, typically, am not a big fan of BSM on a sporty car but I am extremely pleased with the way it turned out and fully understand why my wife insisted on me having it made and installed.

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts
I do prefer the clean look but that does look good and is very nicely done.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
Good job. I don't mind the looks. I'm still able to walk in from the parking spot furthest away from where I am headed, so my need for these might be a year or two off yet. I remember when probably 90 percent of cars had those. Some doors even had a shallow indentation where the rub strip resided, meaning you had to leave them on. You just need a set of polished aluminum, friction-fit door-edge guards.

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
There sharp looking, I ended up putting door edge guard's on my wife's car, my daughter, keeps hitting my car.
You didn't slap your daughter enough when she was young.

·
Registered
823 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good job. I don't mind the looks. I'm still able to walk in from the parking spot furthest away from where I am headed, so my need for these might be a year or two off yet.
I park my 2019 RAM Crew Cab Limited as far from folks as I can...and my wife does the same with her Q. We have always driven very nice vehicles and have been doing this for years. However, there will always be one @$$hole, that drives a piece of $hit car, that will seek you out just to park as close as they can to you:eek:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Wow. This looks very nice. OEM.

I want to do this on my Iridium blue Q60.

Where did you purchase the custom moulding, if you don't mind me asking?

It's really hard to get the width just right, but you nailed it!

Thanks

Keith

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
951 Posts
sg, dumb question. You said you had these painted. So what will keep these from chipping if they receive door hits?

Is there a flex agent in the paint?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow. This looks very nice. OEM.

I want to do this on my Iridium blue Q60.

Where did you purchase the custom moulding, if you don't mind me asking?

It's really hard to get the width just right, but you nailed it!

Thanks

Keith
Thanks Keith! Here is the link. You may be able to have them paint them for you but they would not do the Dynamic Sunstone Red since it's so hard to match. Very easy to install and I have done this same thing on several other cars. If you decide to buy, PM me and I'll share some pointers to make it OEM;)
https://www.sportwing.com/FE-Q50-Infiniti-Q50-4-Door-Painted-Body-Side-Molding?

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
sg, dumb question. You said you had these painted. So what will keep these from chipping if they receive door hits?

Is there a flex agent in the paint?
Not a dumb question but you are thinking about it all wrong. The main point is to prevent the metal on the doors from getting dinged up...the molding will take the hit versus the door so no dings in the metal that can be very nasty. The molding is easy to touch-up or repaint and keeps the car looking like it just came off the showroom floor:D

·
Registered
951 Posts
Not a dumb question but you are thinking about it all wrong. The main point is to prevent the metal on the doors from getting dinged up...the molding will take the hit versus the door so no dings in the metal that can be very nasty. The molding is easy to touch-up or repaint and keeps the car looking like it just came off the showroom floor:D

But it doesn't come off the showroom floor with moldings! lol :p

·
Premium Member
1,919 Posts
The only trouble is at what point measured from the ground do you in stall these? With the wide variety of door profiles that vehicles now sport and differing ride heights, your bodyside moulding should be about 20 inches tall. It is a losing battle.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
The only trouble is at what point measured from the ground do you in stall these? With the wide variety of door profiles that vehicles now sport and differing ride heights, your bodyside moulding should be about 20 inches tall. It is a losing battle.
It comes with an instruction sheet with exact measurements to place them in the perfect position but nothing is a guarantee. Don't over think it.

On the Q50, they line up with the 3.0t placard and raise up as you approach the rear following the body lines. When I look down the side of the vehicle, the placement is positioned perfectly to minimize or eliminate 99% all all potential dings from adjacent cars. If you feel that it's a losing battle, then don't install them but I have been using their molding for the last 10 years or so and they intercept the majority of what would have been significant damage to my cars.

Not looking to convince anybody to do this but sharing my experience and my pics...that's all

Attachments

·
Registered
951 Posts

I thought of that too and that's why I still think the best method to avoid dings is strategic parking. But, to answer your question, I think you just have to place them at the outermost/widest point of the door. I think sg did it just right for this car.

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think you just have to place them at the outermost/widest point of the door. I think sg did it just right for this car.
Exactly;)

·
Registered
951 Posts

·
Premium Member
273 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
1 - 20 of 33 Posts