Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When did manufacturers stop including turbo boost gauges in cars? You know the info is available in the ECU. Why are they not displaying it anywhere?

During the last “turbo revolution “ during the 70’s gas crunch, which forced smaller turbo engines on the public. Every one of them had a boost gauge. Even with a paltry 5 psi boost, they were proudly instrumented on the dashboard.

I was just a little disappointed that a twin turbo V6 omitted it.

· Registered
359 Posts
I completely agree. Total disappointment. I also wish there was a good spot to add one without it looking like an add on. Luckily with an EcuTek Bluetooth setup you can have your phone show anything you want including a boost gauge.

· Super Moderator
4,224 Posts
Although the EcuTek sounds interesting, having a 270 degree sweep boost gauge is sorely missed.
I wish P3 Gauges made a boost gage for our Qs:

http://www.p3cars.com/

The Multi-gauge option has live-data functions (EGT, IAT, Coolant Temps, etc.)

· Premium Member
4,418 Posts
we need a boost gauge (analog sweep with digital display) , an oil temp gauge (digital) , an oil pressure gauge (analog sweep) , and a coolant temp gauge (digital).

A knock sensor (similar to a COBB access port display) would be a great add on as well.

Now, where do you put these things if you are a manufacturer.

Yes, I want them all and the knock sensor. But, how will they package a car for mainstream sales?

· Registered
359 Posts
we need a boost gauge (analog sweep with digital display) , an oil temp gauge (digital) , an oil pressure gauge (analog sweep) , and a coolant temp gauge (digital).

A knock sensor (similar to a COBB access port display) would be a great add on as well.

Now, where do you put these things if you are a manufacturer.

Yes, I want them all and the knock sensor. But, how will they package a car for mainstream sales?
Personally, I would love the Tach to be front and center while we’re at it!

Also, I would give up the top screen (nav) for an actual gauge cluster angled toward the driver.

But, your right. For the mainstream sales they are after, we will never get it the way we want unless we build it ourselves.

Another thought. Do we need an analog speedo and then the digital speedo at the same time? If only someone could reprogram the digital screen in between the tach and speedo.

· Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just repurpose the multi-function display that is already in the middle of the dash. Adding a screen or two should not cost much. Perhaps allow the driver to select which parameters to display.

· Premium Member
4,418 Posts
Personally, I would love the Tach to be front and center while we’re at it!

Also, I would give up the top screen (nav) for an actual gauge cluster angled toward the driver.

But, your right. For the mainstream sales they are after, we will never get it the way we want unless we build it ourselves.

Another thought. Do we need an analog speedo and then the digital speedo at the same time? If only someone could reprogram the digital screen in between the tach and speedo.
my 2015 wrx had an interesting gauge cluster that was programmable, but it only had 2 things i wanted that could he programmed into 3 spots... oil temp and boost. i had to get an oil pressure gauge and coolant temp as a dual on the steering column and had to have my cobb plugged in for knock sensing.

we should have the ability to swap between nav and a gauge cluster of a dozen different parameters that can be custom configured into a single to maybe 6 gauges.

some cars have real time telemetrics... like I am going to look at that screen while trying to hit an apex... absolutely unnecessary.

· Registered
2018 Q50 RS400 RWD
45 Posts
I hoped third party apps would be available someday for the intouch system. I think a boost gauge app would satisfy me if they ever open it up. The current performance gauges that infiniti provides are not meeting the mark.

· Administrator
Newport, Oregon
18,363 Posts
I hoped third party apps would be available someday for the intouch system. I think a boost gauge app would satisfy me if they ever open it up. The current performance gauges that infiniti provides are not meeting the mark.
Don't hold your breath. Infiniti isn't going to provide any additional apps other than what came with the car.

· Registered
359 Posts
my 2015 wrx had an interesting gauge cluster that was programmable, but it only had 2 things i wanted that could he programmed into 3 spots... oil temp and boost. i had to get an oil pressure gauge and coolant temp as a dual on the steering column and had to have my cobb plugged in for knock sensing.

we should have the ability to swap between nav and a gauge cluster of a dozen different parameters that can be custom configured into a single to maybe 6 gauges.

some cars have real time telemetrics... like I am going to look at that screen while trying to hit an apex... absolutely unnecessary.
Auto makers should ask us to design their gauge clusters for them. I’m sure if a couple of us got together we could nail it down in 15 min.

Reactions: jodedor

· Registered
2,708 Posts
Auto makers should ask us to design their gauge clusters for them. I’m sure if a couple of us got together we could nail it down in 15 min.
Hmmm, well they let Homer Simpson design a car once too. Check it out to see how that turned out ;)

Reactions: jodedor and DeeCee

· Registered
359 Posts
If our cars had an OEM boost gauge I can only imagine all of the calls Infiniti would receive about inconsistent boost levels.
You would think with computer controlled waste gates they would be like clock work.

· Registered
359 Posts
do both turbos in the VR30tt spin at the same rate at the same time? or are they allegedly sequential? at what rpm do they drop off?
They are the same turbos. It is a regular twin setup with one turbo on each bank. Not sure what RPM they drop off at exactly. There are boost maps for them somewhere on the net if you dig a little.

· Registered
1,321 Posts
I've had/have three other vehicles that used factory compressors (2 turbo, 1 supercharged) and the factory boost gauges or displays were/are sort of a joke.

I put mechanical vac/boost gauges in them, as they are easy to hook up. The only real challenge is finding a place to mount them. Normally, I never like to drill holes, so on those was able to make a bracket, incorporating factory screws or other methods that did not involve 'hacking'.

However, it is going to be difficult finding this on this car, briefly looking...don't like the a pillar mounts, especially if they don't replace the entire piece.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts