Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alrighty... I have put about 100 miles on the car since purchace. I noticed discoloration on the wheels, and after giving a quick two inch long swipe, I came away with a fingertip as black as a the inside of a crank case under a hood in a coal mine under a cloudy sky during a new moon. My G (and Z before it) had carbon ceramic pads. There was less combined brake dust on all four wheels of those two cars for combined 8 years I owned them than there is on just one of the Q50 front rims. So it has me wondering if the Brembo pads are made of Kingsford charcoal briquettes or perhaps burnt No.2 pencils. Anyone know? This will not be tolerable for long, that's for certain.

Options?

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
My front OEM set that come on my 04 G were horrible. I couldn't keep the brake dust off the front wheels to save my life. When I finally had them changed I was told that it had something to do with type of charcoal brake pads used from the factory. After changing them and verifying the ceremic pads, I have never had that problem again.

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Perhaps it is only like this because it's new? I haven't noticed it on mine, but I've watched mine every other day since I took delivery.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Alrighty... I have put about 100 miles on the car since purchace. I noticed discoloration on the wheels, and after giving a quick two inch long swipe, I came away with a fingertip as black as a the inside of a crank case under a hood in a coal mine under a cloudy sky during a new moon. My G (and Z before it) had carbon ceramic pads. There was less combined brake dust on all four wheels of those two cars for combined 8 years I owned them than there is on just one of the Q50 front rims. So it has me wondering if the Brembo pads are made of Kingsford charcoal briquettes or perhaps burnt No.2 pencils. Anyone know? This will not be tolerable for long, that's for certain.

Options?
Saw the same thing after I got brake pads replaced on my other vehicle. Only lasts for about the 1st 3,000 miles. I cleaned them off when I first noticed it and applied a wheel wax formulated specifically to stop the brake dust from adhering. After that, I was able to easily clean them (quickly) using a detail spray (which I hit both cars with 2-3 times a week).

·
Registered
432 Posts
They are just dirty pads. The pads I had on my BMW were horrible. You can change the pads for low dust pads but be careful as the less dust typically means slightly less stopping distance. You can also use wheel wax which makes the dust will clean off easier.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, I am going to wax the wheels this weekend, however the point is not having to. If you've had carbon ceramic, you know it's a huge difference.

I fired a letter off to Brembo. Since they obviously have all the specs on the Sport brakes, I would have to imagine they will start turning out a carbon ceramic version of the pad sooner, rather than later.

Diligent as I am, I will update when this post when I hear something.

next call is to Stillen for intakes, by the by...

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yes, I am going to wax the wheels this weekend, however the point is not having to. If you've had carbon ceramic, you know it's a huge difference.

I fired a letter off to Brembo. Since they obviously have all the specs on the Sport brakes, I would have to imagine they will start turning out a carbon ceramic version of the pad sooner, rather than later.

Diligent as I am, I will update when this post when I hear something.

next call is to Stillen for intakes, by the by...
Brembo for pads? Are you getting rotors as well? I'm sure Hawk make our size? Hawk are some of the best. There is also Akebono and Stop tech makes low dust pads. BTW, be care with "performance" pads as they can tend to be a little noisy.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
I'll say hawk as well! I never got to put on mine but it was highly recommended on G35driver for stopping power and minimal brake dust! Which reminds me! I need to bump up that thread and sell those asap! Hehe!:D

Edit:

Wait wait...brembo pads? How do u know what brake pads we have? Also, isnt the calipers from Akebono?

Reactions: afrosheen

·
Registered
432 Posts
I'll say hawk as well! I never got to put on mine but it was highly recommended on G35driver for stopping power and minimal brake dust! Which reminds me! I need to bump up that thread and sell those asap! Hehe!:D

Edit:

Wait wait...brembo pads? How do u know what brake pads we have? Also, isnt the calipers from Akebono?
Yeah, I got a little lost there too. I think our brakes on the S models anyway are Akebono. Hawk are great pads.

Remember all, if you change your pads they need to be broken in properly to get the best results. Even the pads on your car you picked up were never properly broken in. Most people don't know that it's good practice, yeah I'm guilty as well as I didn't do it either on mine but will if I change my pads.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Yeah, I got a little lost there too. I think our brakes on the S models anyway are Akebono. Hawk are great pads.

Remember all, if you change your pads they need to be broken in properly to get the best results. Even the pads on your car you picked up were never properly broken in. Most people don't know that it's good practice, yeah I'm guilty as well as I didn't do it either on mine but will if I change my pads.
Hmmm never tried breaking in pads properly! What are u supposed to do?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The reason for a proper break in is to establish an even layer of friction material deposited on the rotors from the brake pads. It is very important that this initial layer of friction material is evenly distributed.

This recommended procedure is:
• 8 moderate brake applications from 40 to 10 mph at approximately ¼-mile intervals.
• 8 somewhat harder brake applications from 60 to 10 mph at approximately ½-mile intervals.
• Drive 1.5 miles
• 5 hard (but less than ABS) applications from 80 to 20 mph at 3/4-mile intervals. Drive at least two miles after last application.
• Allow brakes to cool at least 15 minutes either by parking the vehicle or continuing to drive at moderate speeds with minimal brake applications.

After this is complete, drive around for as long as possible without excessively heating the brakes and without coming to a complete stop (Try for about 5 minutes at moderate speed). This is the cooling stage. It allows the heated resin in the brake pads to cool and cure. After the brakes have cooled to standard operating temperature, you may use the brakes normally.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yes, I've done the bedding. I learned about that several years ago when I first bought the Z. It was the first thing I did on the ride home. I was told several times these brakes were developed by Brembo, but it certainly is possible that is incorrect. I have looked for information on the brakes but not found anything stating which manufacturer made them. I'll have to inquire with my Infiniti contact.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Yes, I've done the bedding. I learned about that several years ago when I first bought the Z. It was the first thing I did on the ride home. I was told several times these brakes were developed by Brembo, but it certainly is possible that is incorrect. I have looked for information on the brakes but not found anything stating which manufacturer made them. I'll have to inquire with my Infiniti contact.
Not sure where exactly I got the info from either but I believe they stopped using brembo after the 03-04 G35! Cant remember when they started akebono though! Cuz if u look at akebono calipers, the nissan/infiniti brand names come up, along with swaps for it!

Edit: I stand corrected! I guess their relationship with brembo lasted till 08 but read the description below on this link

http://www.thenismoshop.com/Nissan-...omplete-Upgrade--Infiniti-G35-G37_p_1512.html

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.