Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious to see what different ppl are using for brake pads and rotors. I really want to upgrade to the z1 brakes but that’s a little to pricey at this point. Are there any brake pads and rotors that are within a reasonable price sold together all in one front and rear ?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Are you looking to upgrade to a big brake kit? Or just replacing pads/rotors. Only asking because I've got a set of calipers for sale.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you looking to upgrade to a big brake kit? Or just replacing pads/rotors. Only asking because I've got a set of calipers for sale.
Not a big brake kit. Just looking for different options for pads and rotors for front and rear .

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Powerstop Z26 kit is what I put on my car just a few months back. I have been very pleased with the performance, low dust, and appearance. Great upgrade from the OEM pads and rotors.

Reactions: v8juice and Jibricb

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Years ago I upgraded to EBC slotted and drilled rotors and green stuff pads on a TL type S I had. When the time comes, I’ll likely do the same or a similar combo on my V37. If you’re looking to save money though, see what O’riellys or advanced auto offer.

Reactions: Jibricb

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Powerstop Z26 kit is what I put on my car just a few months back. I have been very pleased with the performance, low dust, and appearance. Great upgrade from the OEM pads and rotors.
Do they have these for the rs? When I looked online they were all sold out

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Do they have these for the rs? When I looked online they were all sold out
RS or SS Akebono brakes are the same. Not sure what you are asking. I bought my kit off Amazon. Other places like RockAuto has sells the kit as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Years ago I upgraded to EBC slotted and drilled rotors and green stuff pads on a TL type S I had. When the time comes, I’ll likely do the same or a similar combo on my V37. If you’re looking to save money though, see what O’riellys or advanced auto offer.
Thanks for the input . I’m seeing a lot of different options for the ebc rotors. When you had that combo how long did it last before swapping out?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I had the car another two years after that and they were still going strong. Wish I had kept it longer, but I started to need a truck so she got traded for a Titan.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I'm still surprised that I have never seen anyone recommending cryogenically treated rotors. Many brake parts suppliers offer them.

Treated brake drums are somewhat common on heavy trucks that are put into emergency service. Think fire truck. They tell me they last at least twice as long.

·
Registered
2016 Q50 Redsport 400 RWD
206 Posts
I have been using R1 Geomet rotors for a couple years now, never been disappointed. They always have 25-30% off so it ends up being about ~$350 to your door depending on options and finishes

Haven't found a good pad I like yet

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm still surprised that I have never seen anyone recommending cryogenically treated rotors. Many brake parts suppliers offer them.

Treated brake drums are somewhat common on heavy trucks that are put into emergency service. Think fire truck. They tell me they last at least twice as long.
I actually work in the fire department and our vehicles or apparatuses are terrible lol they stay in the shop and we swap it out with a reserve . That’s interesting though. I’m pretty sure all fire departments are not the same and if I can find some good cg rotors those would be good . Thanks

Reactions: rpiotro

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
RS or SS Akebono brakes are the same. Not sure what you are asking. I bought my kit off Amazon. Other places like RockAuto has sells the kit as well.
I came across the powerstop z26 on a few websites a while back and they were sold out. I’ll give it another look as well as the other options.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
R1 geomet, cg, powerstop z26, ebc - thanks for the options fellas. Very much appreciated

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
"Low dust" is an understatement for powerstop pads IMO. Many pads advertise as being low dust but only powerstop has the lowest I've seen esp when performance is factored in.

I came across the powerstop z26 on a few websites a while back and they were sold out. I’ll give it another look as well as the other options.
Rockauto has them in stock.

·
Registered
4,508 Posts
I actually work in the fire department and our vehicles or apparatuses are terrible lol they stay in the shop and we swap it out with a reserve . That’s interesting though. I’m pretty sure all fire departments are not the same and if I can find some good cg rotors those would be good . Thanks
They are everywhere. Just do a search. Stoptech just to name one.

·
Registered
775 Posts
When I was considering PowerStop, Summit Racing had the kits on sale. Not sure if they still do, but they probably have some in stock.

Decided that blank rotors would be just fine for me, so ended up going with Napa Adaptive One coated rotors and hybrid ceramic pads. Quite happy with them so far. Wait for a 20% off sale though if you can (they have them from time to time).

·
Premium Member
422 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
I had considered these but hadn't seen many folks on here that used them for feedback. Believe I saw your recommendation before but not many others...My concern were the pads and if they were any good. Was going to get the 'package'...do notice they went up a fair amount in the past couple months. Guess that's the name of the game for everything these days :(

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Are the 2 piston vs. 4 piston basically the same in that they use the same rotors and pads?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts