Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
4,028 Posts
Are the 2 piston vs. 4 piston basically the same in that they use the same rotors and pads?
The 2-piston is for the 13.8" rotors (rear) while 4-piston is for the 14" (front)

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
Are the 2 piston vs. 4 piston basically the same in that they use the same rotors and pads?
If you're looking at Powerstop in their vehicle selector, I believe they are differentiating between the Akebono sport brakes (4-piston front) and the standard brakes (2-piston front). This is because the sport model in later model years didn't always include the Akebono sport brakes.
Rectangle Font Parallel Slope Circle

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
If you're looking at Powerstop in their vehicle selector, I believe they are differentiating between the Akebono sport brakes (4-piston front) and the standard brakes (2-piston front). This is because the sport model in later model years didn't always include the Akebono sport brakes.
View attachment 105661
Ah I didn't realize there was a sport without sport brakes lol. Seems silly. Thank you.

·
Registered
770 Posts
It was 2018 that Nissan decided to make the larger brakes an option on the Sport trim, along with the DDS, paddle shifters, etc...AFAIK, it was the only year they did this.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
It was 2018 that Nissan decided to make the larger brakes an option on the Sport trim, along with the DDS, paddle shifters, etc...AFAIK, it was the only year they did this.
So if you don't pay for the options you end up with a Sport with no "Sport"? Coincidentally I just saw that the small calipers are still Akebonos, didn't realize that.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So if you don't pay for the options you end up with a Sport with no "Sport"? Coincidentally I just saw that the small calipers are still Akebonos, didn't realize that.
Yeah, was a strange move. See below...

As for the brakes, yeah Akebono makes either of the brakes. I typically just refer to them as the bigger brakes or sometimes Sport brakes (exc. 2018 possibly not)

From 2018...you had to get "Performance" option package on the Sport:

Font Screenshot Rectangle Parallel Number

Rectangle Font Magenta Screenshot Circle

Rectangle Font Screenshot Number Circle

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
So bitter. 1 of the caliper banjo bolt holes is stripped and has all crud in it. Tried tapping it but no help. Going to try to helicoil it, otherwise I have to return it because Amazon won't send a replacement. SO frustrating.

·
Registered
770 Posts
So bitter. 1 of the caliper banjo bolt holes is stripped and has all crud in it. Tried tapping it but no help. Going to try to helicoil it, otherwise I have to return it because Amazon won't send a replacement. SO frustrating.
That sucks! IMO, Timeserts > Helicoil, fwiw. If you decide to go that route (Timeserts), let me know and I can give you more details. I did this on my alum. head for the exhaust manifold on my other car and have some tips.

However, being it's part of the brakes and a hydraulic connection, I'd be a little weary using this method.

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
That sucks! IMO, Timeserts > Helicoil, fwiw. If you decide to go that route (Timeserts), let me know and I can give you more details. I did this on my alum. head for the exhaust manifold on my other car and have some tips.

However, being it's part of the brakes and a hydraulic connection, I'd be a little weary using this method.
I was 50/50 on what I wanted to do, but a quick search online showed that plenty of people have used helicoils to fix this banjo bolt hole with a helicoil. We'll try it and see how it feels once done. If it feels good I'll roll with it. If it doesn't I'll return everything.....hopefully it works out.

·
Registered
770 Posts
I was 50/50 on what I wanted to do, but a quick search online showed that plenty of people have used helicoils to fix this banjo bolt hole with a helicoil. We'll try it and see how it feels once done. If it feels good I'll roll with it. If it doesn't I'll return everything.....hopefully it works out.
You'll probably be alright doing it. Just be sure to get a straight hole, if you do it "manually"...I have a lathe so made myself a drill bushing to ensure it would be straight. Being the engine was in the car, was really the only way to do it right in that case. That and a right angle drill. Of course in your case could probably do this on the 'bench' so will make your life much easier!

21 - 30 of 30 Posts