Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Brand new car, don't know if I should keep it. Not sure it's safe.

12K views 56 replies 22 participants last post by  Radar 
#1 · (Edited)
What what you do? I really hate to bring this up because I was and really want to be a big supporter of this car. I actually like how it looks, feels and drives.
But, it happened.

It was cold last night (below 10degreesF) and the car started fine, I took my kids out for breakfast before school and when we returned to the car, I could tell it was starting to act funny. It was drivable, but just acted weird, with occasional misc warnings and errors. The steering felt weird too.

I dropped the kids off and headed straight to the dealership, noticing that while driving down the highway at 65mph, my steering wheel was at a 90 degree angle even though I was driving straight or at least trying to.

This is a Q50S Hybrid AWD with nav and tech with only about 100 miles on it.
The dealer says a software update will fix this problem.

I just don't know. I think I can still get out from under this car, it's only days old. I want the car, I like the car, but I don't know that I can ever trust the car again. I find it nearly impossible to think that problems like this will not arise again over years and tens of thousands of miles of driving.

Should I believe the dealer and trust the bugs will be worked out and worked out quickly (I don't have time to be in and out of the dealer all the time) or undo this before it can't be undone?

This sucks...

See less See more
#4 ·
Hybrid w/o DAS is not possible correct? Also, we lose the Tech package and the touring package.

DAS (dumbazz steering) should be a separate package all on it's own.
So true, I would buy this same car in a heartbeat if it had everything it has now without DAS and I atually liked the DAS.

If this were a mechanical thing, I would work though it, but being a software/computer issue is a different story.

#7 ·
What what you do? I really hate to bring this up because I was and really want to be a big supporter of this car. I actually like how it looks, feels and drives.
But, it happened.

It was cold last night (below 10degreesF) and the car started fine, I took my kids out for breakfast before school and when we returned to the car, I could tell it started acting funny. It was drivable, but just acted weird, with occasional misc warnings and errors. The steering felt weird too.

I dropped the kids off and headed straight to the dealership, noticing that while driving down the highway at 65mph, my steering wheel was at a 90 degree angle, although was driving straight or at least trying to.

This is a Q50S Hybrid AWD with nav and tech with only about 100 miles on it.
The dealer says a software update will fix this problem.

I just don't know. I think I can still walk get out from under this car, it's only days old. I want the car, I like the car, but I don't know that I can ever trust the car again. I find it nearly impossible to think that problems like this will arise again over years and tens of thousands of miles of driving.

Should I believe the dealer and trust the bugs will be worked out and worked out quickly (I don't have time to be in and out of the dealer all the time) or undo this before it can't be undone?

This sucks...
Kc2dc

I don't believe that Infiniti sells a car with your current options but without DAS - so you may have no alternative but to wait until the issues are fixed/resolved with the DAS or settle for something less desirable if they let you swap the car for a different model. My suggestion: if you can - try to return the car, cancel the deal and get your money back.

I believe Infiniti will ultimately resolve the DAS issues or either drop the technology in future model years, but why should you drive a vehicle with defective steering until they fix this. If it were just the InTouch system or some other component not directly involved with safety or your ability to drive the vehicle in a conventional manner, perhaps, but these recent DAS related issues do not seem to be in that category. Since your car is such a recent purchase you may have options to return the vehicle that others who have had the car much longer cannot readily pursue. IMO

Regards,
Orrin

#12 ·
There probably isn't much you can do besides tell them to take the car now and give you a lender.
Or have them come pick up the car with a tow truck.

My brothers Boss has one of the ford trucks with the electrict steering.
We were talking about this after I told him I got a Q50 that has electric steering.
He said his bosses electrict steering stopped working wihle driving and he had to have it towed to the ford dealer.
It sounds like Ford may have some kind of issue as well.

With infiniti, the forums kicked up really badly when that artic front hit a week or two ago.
Then went kind of quiet a few days when the arctic front moved out.
And now it's flaring back up again now that people are expeiencing really cold weather again.

#16 · (Edited)
It's like they didn't even test the **** car for cold weather. Did they even?

The Ford problems outlined by you in that great, informative post explain why they had more cars on Consumer Report's "Least-reliable" list than any other manufacturer this year. Out of the 35 worst-of-the-worst, 13 were Fords! Sadly, there were four Nissans on the list, but thankfully no Infintis. The Q50 is almost guaranteed to make it next year. :(

#28 ·
Different technology.

Yes, I know the Ford Explorer has had its own issues, I guess we lucked on those. I Just wondered if the steering was the same technology. Another reason to live in a warmer climate!

Only Infiniti has the "drive by wire" system - no mechanical connection when in operation. All the other electrically assisted systems retain a conventional steering column attached to the steering linkage.

#15 ·
Infiniti really has no clue what they're doing with what could be a wonderful, game-changing technology... if it's developed and tested properly.

I just booked an MB E-class rental car. That will be my first experience with the brand. Guess where my money (and likely that of several friends/family members) is likely gonna go in a few years if Infiniti can't get their stuff together?:D

#17 ·
Less than 100 miles? I'd park it and tell them to bring you another one exactly like it and you will give them a second chance. Maybe the mechanic missed something during PDI. If they won't do that, drive it back with the crooked steering wheel and park it right in front of the showroom. Wheels pointed straight, steering wheel upside down. Lock the car with a note saying BUYER BEWARE taped to the inside of the windshield, and leave with the keys.

#19 ·
I don't think they had a chance to test it in the extreme temps we're seeing now. Unless they took it for a spin with the Ice Road Truckers way up north, I don't see how they could test -5 degrees in a real environment. Maybe they thought, "nobody will drive in these temps except Canadians with the cold weather package, but even then they'll be on snowmobiles and drunk on Molson". ;)

#21 ·
Actually I think the scariest part is WHY does cold affect it? Its all computerized, yet there are computers for everything else on the car that work OK.

Does the engine start in the cold? ECU seems to work just fine. Transmission shift in the cold? TCU seems just fine.

Did they put the sensors in places that are open to weather? That would mean eventually even rain could kill them.

#34 ·
Is this only happening on Hybrids? I haven't seen anyone with a Gas model and DAS that has had this issue. Unless I missed some other posts about this. Its been really cold up here in NY and even when I was in Canada I didn't experience any DAS issues with mine and I have a gas model with DAS.

#36 ·
If it was me, I would give the car up for a Q50 sans DAS. I'm ok with "by wire" systems as long as there's a way to bypass it manually and not for steering. One little glitch at highway speeds would be disastrous. I want a direct linkage to my front wheels at all times and not with a clutch that can slip when the system fails.

#43 ·
I feel like I should give this car a chance. I mean, I still don't know how widespread these problems are. I mean, are there just a few lemons out there or is the car design with the DAS/Hybrid simply a failed design that may never get fully fixed?

I understand that people come to forums like this to complain far more than to gloat about how good something is. But now I am really concerned about this car leaving me stranded or worse. I'm also concerned about the value of the car dropping like a rock (I'm buying not leasing).

I'm really at a loss. I think you can find problems with any car on any forum, but I see so many people with multiple reoccurring problems that come back after Infiniti says they are fixed.

I'm trading in an older car so I don't have to deal with that. I only have a few days to figure this out and get my trade back.

#46 ·
I'm really at a loss. I think you can find problems with any car on any forum, but I see so many people with multiple reoccurring problems that come back after Infiniti says they are fixed./QUOTE]

The biggest risk is they don't fix it this winter.
It seems like things will befine when the weather warms up, and then the problems would start again next winter.

#49 ·
So far the last update seems to have done the trick. Car is driving great. If they could only figure out the brakes...
What's wrong with the brakes? Man I was set on getting this car fairly soon but I'm having second thoughts after reading about the steering issues and all that.

Don't want to buy a car that sits in the shop for a month while making monthly payments to drive a loaner. :(

#54 ·
I have a Hybrid S AWD with DAS and haven't experienced the steering issue YET (knock on wood). The coldest temps were single digits but I do keep my car garaged except when at work.

I have noticed the brakes being "grabby" when braking at speeds less than 15mph. Otherwise they have been fine.

I did have my car throw a warning about the rear sonar or radar (whatever it is) when I was driving today. The two rear/side zones were flashing till I turned the car off and back on.

I've got about 900 mi on my Q50 and have been happy so far. These topics are scaring me though. :-/

#56 ·
Sometimes it is the production time. More component fixes along the path might introduce complication or new issue to raise that the current fix might not cover it. This process is usually what takes the fix longer because they have to trace the issue, investigate, test, and re-test. Fixing is not difficult but putting the right fix to the right problem is the challenge. I am not surprised the fix fixes certain cars or some cars are just lemon during the production.....

#57 · (Edited)
I just thought I would chime in on this thread based on my level of expertise in my area of automation and electronics. I own the AWD Premium with out DAS and I chose that due to my occupation as an Electronic Technician and more specifically, in the CNC Machine Tool repair industry. All the machines I work on are "Fly By Wire". The servo motors are electronically regulated in a "closed loop" algorithm which the electrical motor moves only as much as requested and if the predicted response from the encoder (high precision feedback pulse generator, coupled to the motor) is not normal, the systems that I work on immediately stop. When things are improperly programmed, things go bad fast
Haas TL1 CNC Lathe Crash Gangnam Style - YouTube
I am sure this system will be sorted out in time but I can understand the apprehension and mistrust of said system

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.