Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've all learned that the break-in period for the gasser is 1200 miles. The hybrid is a different animal, allowing owners to run in EV mode - using the electric motor only for propulsion. Hybrid owners can see the number of miles they've amassed by viewing the EV Odometer in the middle display. Since the gasoline engine was off while EV mode was engaged, I will be subtracting the value in the EV Odometer from my total mileage to arrive at the number of miles driven while the gas engine was running, and I'll wait until this number is 1200 or more before I exceed 4000 rpm on the tachometer.
Interesting, eh? This was not mentioned in the manual...
What do you think?

·
Registered
160 Posts
The "break-in period" is kind of funny to me. When I go to test drive the car, dealers aren't too worried about the break-in time at all. They told me to gun it every chance I got to get a feel for the acceleration. Of course I'm aware they're trying to sell me on the performance of the vehicle, but if they don't abide by it, it would be much harder for me to abide by it once I get mine.

Reactions: SnowItch

·
Registered
585 Posts
The "break-in period" is kind of funny to me. When I go to test drive the car, dealers aren't too worried about the break-in time at all. They told me to gun it every chance I got to get a feel for the acceleration. Of course I'm aware they're trying to sell me on the performance of the vehicle, but if they don't abide by it, it would be much harder for me to abide by it once I get mine.
When I bought my Equinox in 2009, it was a new model with a new engine and there was a loooonnnnggg thread on an Equinox forum debating break-in. It went on for a few weeks when finally an engineer from GM got on the forum and stated that modern engines don't need a break-in period. He said the most important thing was to vary driving styles and speeds to make sure that there were no problems with YOUR vehicle under any circumstances.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Following is normal nothing special... it's only recommendations.

Break In Schedule:
During the first 1,200 miles (2,000 km), follow these recommendations to obtain maximum engine performance and ensure
the future reliability and economy of your new vehicle.
Failure to follow these recommendations may result in shortened engine life and reduced engine performance.
Avoid driving for long periods at constant speed, either fast or slow. Do not run the engine over 4,000 rpm.
. Do not accelerate at full throttle in any gear.
. Avoid quick starts.
. Avoid hard braking as much as possible

·
Registered
146 Posts
I'm an accountant and that's too much math even for me... I try not to spill my coffee in the first 1,000 miles, but that's about the extent of my break-in period. Using your method, I would guess 4000 rpm was exceeded around mile 15 for me.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
What are you planning to do once you pass the 1200 milestone :rolleyes:?
Man, the break in period is torturing. I hated when people pass me and looks at me thinking I am driving like a wimp.
I did broke the rule twice time by revving it to 7K rpm just to feel the power. Now, I really regretting doing it. I still got 750 miles to go. Patient. Patient.

I am at 1095 miles on my gasser. Only 100 to go!

Reactions: sperry

·
Registered
172 Posts
Is this still necessary on modern cars? I read recently that it's only the first 100 miles or so on a modern car. It did mention changing the oil and filter after that, but the 1200 miles wasn't mentioned. And...it did not say to baby it. Just to not stay at any constant RPM or speed for too long.

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Is this still necessary on modern cars? I read recently that it's only the first 100 miles or so on a modern car. It did mention changing the oil and filter after that, but the 1200 miles wasn't mentioned. And...it did not say to baby it. Just to not stay at any constant RPM or speed for too long.
The manual does say 1,200 miles but I really don't think its necessary.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'm going to drive in gear 1 only...all the time. No matter what. :p

·
Registered
85 Posts
We've all learned that the break-in period for the gasser is 1200 miles. The hybrid is a different animal, allowing owners to run in EV mode - using the electric motor only for propulsion. Hybrid owners can see the number of miles they've amassed by viewing the EV Odometer in the middle display. Since the gasoline engine was off while EV mode was engaged, I will be subtracting the value in the EV Odometer from my total mileage to arrive at the number of miles driven while the gas engine was running, and I'll wait until this number is 1200 or more before I exceed 4000 rpm on the tachometer.
Interesting, eh? This was not mentioned in the manual...
What do you think?

However, with running on the EV motor requires a lot of shut off and start up of the engine, which is a lot harder on the engine than running for hours at say highway speed. So the net of it I believe averagely out the starts and stops the engine I don;t think you should subtract the EV miles. 1200 would be a good average for both.

Having said that, Nissan breaks in engines at the factory by running them at redline for 7-8 minutes, then change the oil. When a Q50 rolls off the lot (much like GT-R) or others at Tochigi plant, they take it on their own test track to break-in the suspension, brakes, etc.

My break-in for many VQ engines has been:
first 200-300 miles city driving keeping it under 3500 rpm
200 or so miles highway driving
then followed by a nice spirited driving session or track - redline, brakes, suspension, etc is all broken in at this point. everything is pushed to it's heating limits.

Then an immedite oil change.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
When I first bought my '12 G37S 6MT.....I left the dealer and arrived at a red light.

It was 8PM. I look down at my cluster, car has 60 miles.

Adjacent light turned orange....I turned off VDC, I pushed the clutch in, and put it in first gear.

My light turns green. I just MASH it....I redline first, chirp the t!ts out and redline'd 2nd....and took 3rd gear all the way into the Turnpike ON-ramp and hit 125mph in 5th gear. All on the night of delivery.

Lets just say I wiped my arse with any "break-in" period.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: "...running on the EV motor requires a lot of shut off and start up of the engine, which is a lot harder on the engine than running for hours at say highway speed."

Almost true. When modern engine oil is hot, the friction modifiers are at their best. Would you agree that most engine wear takes place at cold start of the engine as oil film extends and hydrostatic wedge builds and during the period of sub-optimum temperature for the friction modifiers?
Interestingly, entering EV mode is impossible until the temperature gauge reads ~low-normal at a minimum, and manufacturers suggest we drive gently after cold start until the engine is warm. My EV driving invariably occurs with a hot engine.
Everything offered here is IMHO, of course! Entire forums exist solely for discussion of engine oil. You'll find me there under different monikers.
Lastly, some fun news... more "Spirited" driving commenced at about 1800 miles (after two engine oil and oil filter changes of which the dealer performed one) and I'm having fun NOW! Just ask the local drivers of the recently dusted black 300C and the newer black 335. He (335) actually shook his Rolex-adorned left fist at me as I blew his doors off. Huh!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Put it in manual and sport mode and gun it
i think this should even be done from the first day you get it, i heard a hard break in helps to build pressure to set the piston rings and other small engine parts that always have to be working away. apparently a soft break in wont do this, at least not as good as a hard break in would.

·
Registered
573 Posts
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.