Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The manual says to follow a break in period for 1200 miles where it says, among other things, to avoid flooring it, going over 4000 rpm, and hard braking...who's actually going to follow that? It will be hard to go over a month without flooring it...

·
Premium Member
739 Posts
The manual says to follow a break in period for 1200 miles where it says, among other things, to avoid flooring it, going over 4000 rpm, and hard braking...who's actually going to follow that? Well be hard to go over a month without flooring it...
Yea I noticed that too, as I've always owned slightly used cars (~10k mi or so), so I have no idea if the original owners abided by the "break-in" period. I have a hard time trusting myself with this 'rule'. What's the worse that can happen? Serious Q. :confused:

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Hahaha!! I've been waiting for someone to start this thread :D

I usually give it about 500 miles since I lease ;)

Usually they recommend not abusing the engine early on - things like mashing the accelerator (or brakes for that matter). They also recommend not maintaining a set speed for too long.

I don't know, I would just say to be smart and take it easy for a while. You'll likely improve the longevity of the car's mechanicals by giving it time to break in but don't worry if you have to slam on the brakes to avoid an accident or accelerate quickly to pass someone.

I've seen posts on boards like these where people espouse how important the break in period is and then post that they bought a demo car from a dealer for a huge discount. Seems ironic since there is likely more early engine and braking stress from all of those test drives.

Bottom line - take it easy for a while and enjoy the car. As my sig line says: Relax. . .its just a car :)

Reactions: Infiniti Chick

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
The only break in period mine will get is when it will be sitting in the garage while I am sleeping. Other than that it's going to be GAME ON!!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Ha! Break in period? I think most, if not all of us, will already be flooring it during the test drive or the first drive off the lot! :D

·
Registered
38 Posts
I plan to own the car for a long time so I will TRY to follow the rules (most likely cant resist). I am expecting a newborn, do you think it will last long enough for him to drive 16 years later?

·
Registered
171 Posts
i usually take it easy for the first couple hundred miles.....just to break in the drive-train, wheels, brakes...that kinda stuff

other than that i beat the **** out of the car.....but then again i lease, so i dont care :X

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
On my current car (2000 Camry V6), I followed the manual's recommendations on break in. I think it was for the first 1000 miles, to not go over 60 MPH and above 4000 RPM. It was hard, especially driving like a Grandma on highways. But I followed it. The salesman i purchased it from said to not bother, modern engines are "broken in" at the factory on the bench by assembly robots before they are even installed in the car. i am not sure how much of that is true, but my car's engines has been problem free coming on 200k miles. Rest of the car mechanicals in the other hand ...

Since I plan on keeping the Q50 for 10+ years, I will follow the owner's manual. Remember, the owners manual is the bible when it comes to your car. Ignore what your sales and service tech say, follow the owner's manual.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
I better make sure the car I buy have zero mileage :cool:
I haven't asked yet because I didn't think it would happen, but I keep wanting to ask my sales guy to make sure that no else has driven the car that I purchase before me. Other than the people at the port, dealership for the smal moves, loading and unloading. No one else and on NO streets or roads.:cool:

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
Not possible to have any car with 0 mileage. All cars are driven ~25 to 60 miles at the factory to make sure everything is okay. But they are driven according to strict protocol in the factory.

But you can request your salesman to ensure your car is not taken out for test drives.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Not possible to have any car with 0 mileage. All cars are driven ~25 to 60 miles at the factory to make sure everything is okay. But they are driven according to strict protocol in the factory.

But you can request your salesman to ensure your car is not taken out for test drives.
I understand that you can't get a car with 0 miles on it, but my current G was purchased by me with 7 miles on it, so I guess someone should get in trouble for not testing everything correctly or making sure the speedometer was hooked up properly :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
Most new cars roll off the truck with 7-15 miles on them. We put another couple miles on doing pre-delivery inspection and putting in gas. At my dealership, it isn't uncommon for a car to make a trip or two between our storage lot and the dealership. All that typically adds up to 10-20. But if it stays in inventory for a while, it isn't unusual to see 40-50 on the clock. And if we do a dealer trade to get a car, it can easily have 50-150 miles on it. Keep in mind that dealer trade drivers (at least for most dealers around here) are retired gentlemen who drive more conservatively than any of you. Bottom line, we're not out hooning your new car around before you get it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
All of my Infiniti's I bought had less than 10 miles.
I once got one with 7 miles(watched it being off-loaded). For SOME reason, when I picked up my GCoupe the day before they were officially released for sale - Oct. 31, 2002(I think I had the 1st one in Florida), it had 30 miles on it. Gee, I wonder why.:D

·
Premium Member
1,204 Posts
I'm not sure if I believe in the braking break in.

I actually break in my brakes the way that performance pads are broken in.

Heat them up like mad and let them fully cool down. Proper pad transfer to the rotors.

As for the engine - I take a page out of motorcycle riders.

Load the piston rings by going downhill in a low gear and just letting it roll.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.