Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, aside from the rattle in my roof (now in the shop for the 4th time), failing seatbelt light, passenger side air bag issue, front and rear sensors not working, constant crashing of inTouch, rain sensor fail...

...I had the pleasure of a $650 CDN bill for a new tire due to a nail puncture. Apparently, the run flat tires are not repairable.

These $650 tires so I can drive my car a whole 80 km with a flat. Joke.

Anyone know of some real tires I can replace these with. The dealership says that the run flats are the only acceptable tire for the performance.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Tirerack.com ... Look at their tires in the stock sizes and sort by reviews/ratings. Buy the best tire that you can afford.

I dropped the run flats immediately! Junk tires!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Anyone know of some real tires I can replace these with. The dealership says that the run flats are the only acceptable tire for the performance.
That's a joke. Replace them with anything else on TireRack and you will have way better performance. I finally got to drive another Q with RE907's or something like that from Bridgestone and they handled so much better than the runflats. I'm going to change mine soon.

Reactions: Dezine

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, aside from the rattle in my roof (now in the shop for the 4th time), failing seatbelt light, passenger side air bag issue, front and rear sensors not working, constant crashing of inTouch, rain sensor fail...

...I had the pleasure of a $650 CDN bill for a new tire due to a nail puncture. Apparently, the run flat tires are not repairable.

Nonsense, RFs are very repairable. You can plug it just like any other tire with a $6 kit from Walmart. Just don't drive on it while its flat as walls may get damaged.

Of course, just like any tire, if you puncture sidewall then all bets are off.

Is it possible to repair a Run-Flat tire that has been punctured?It depends on how far and at what speed the car was driven after the puncture was sustained. Repair is possible only if deemed so by the tire sales store.
Preconditions include a puncture of less than 6mm for both side-reinforced type and support-ring type Run-Flat tires, plus minimal damage to the support ring in case of the latter.
However, it is strongly recommended that the tire is replaced as its durability will have been weakened after being repaired.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Had run flats, on my BMW, for quite a number of years. Nail hole punctures are definitely repairable, if they are in the tread area. However, some tire repair places refuse to perform a repair, claiming that it's dangerous. I think they just want to sell you a new tire.

The guiding factor is, did you drive on the tire in its flat status, or did it still hold pressure? If it held pressure it's repairable by internal patch (preferred) or plug (considered temporary). With a repair, I understand the the tire loses it's speed rating.

If you drove on the tire in its flat status, then the sidewalls have been weakened, and the tire should be discarded.

For the price of one run flat, you can buy 2 good tires, and replace both on the axle.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i paid for a tire warranty, and cracks in the rim punctures in the tire anything, they replace it free of charge :D

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i only paid 650.. im in canada as well. seemed to make sense because as soon as my tires wear down i plan to drive through a road a nails and have them replace it.

·
Registered
209 Posts
about a month ago, i got a nail in my tire too, and it came out of the side wall after, and i called my dealership, and they said they cant replace the tire, and i have to buy a new tire, but i took a risk at pulling the nail out and luckily the air didnt leak out

Attachments

·
Registered
982 Posts

But replacing one tire is cheaper than replacing all 4 tires....

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
what dealership did you purchase from? they didnt offer you the warranty?

·
Registered
160 Posts

I had a puncture in my tire from a knife blade and they repaired my tire with no problem. I initially thought that run flats could not be patched or repaired, but I've had no problems since. They told me as long as it wasn't in the side wall, repairing the run flat isn't a problem. Cost me $15. This happened over a month ago and I've had no problem with the tire since.

I took my car to a tire shop to ask if they could repair it before making the trek to a dealership, if anyone was wondering. I didn't go to the dealer first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Only have 2 weeks on my runflats when I replaced them with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S3's and have not looked back. Night and day difference. I have the runflats in my garage ready to be put back on the car when I return the lease. As far as the roof rattle, I get a little bit of creaking when it is cold outside that I can't figure out where it is coming from. Starting to annoy me as well but I have to spend some time finding the source.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Id rather spend the money to replace all four corners on a set of coilovers probably. Since im going with aftermarket wheels in the future anyways, figured why not keep the runflats save myself some money.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.