Infiniti Q50 Forum banner

Busy Day! - GTR Start Button - Radar Detector Hardwire & Etc

24K views 35 replies 13 participants last post by  Infiniti Vancouver 
#1 · (Edited)
Wife was at work this morning so I thought I would get busy. Sorry for the cell phone pics, I will get better ones later. I will also get night shots of the GTR button, and yes it still lights up blue to match the dash.

- GTR Button Installed
- DIY Invisicord Installed to Hardwire the Radar Detector to the Homelink Mirror.
- Fully Debaged except emblems. (It looks nice and clean now) ... btw I pulled off 16 letters and numbers off my Q50. That's quite excessive I think!

More pics later today!

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice! Not really a fan of the GTR Start button but nice to know that could be done! Already took out the HYBRID on my fenders and will do the Q50S later tonight or early tom before I do my claybar and sealant! Still wanna have it on for a little while more! Hahaha!

Reactions: bdbaity
#16 ·
After driving around today I realized that the GTR button doesn't fit the interior of the car so I switched it back to stock.

#4 ·
What other mods do u plan to do besides the ones in your sig?

I want to powdercoat/paint my calipers but kinda iffy about doing any damage to sensors but, from what the infiniti manager on the forum told me when I sent him a PM, it shouldnt be a problem! Need to know where to get seals for it though! :(

#5 · (Edited)
Not sure yet. Depends on what comes out from the vendors. This is my dd and my rolling office so I don't want to do too much. Definitely doing the black grill and rear spoiler or maybe wait and see what lip spoiler options come available.

I really don't care for the chrome above and below the license plate so I "may" plastidip it and the front/rear Infiniti emblems. If I don't like it I can just pull it off. I am not sure if this would look ricey or not??? I may plastidip the chrome around the front grill too just to see what it looks like. (I don't like chrome anywhere)

I want springs asap. On the 370Z forums "Swift Springs" were the best and I am hoping they come out with springs for the Q50 to balance out the slight body roll. I think this and new tires would take this care into another league.

I may want intakes too. Depends on what comes out.

Reactions: gbert15
#15 ·
DIY on Radar.

Used this link from the Nissan Armada:
DIY Invisicord/Stealth Cord & Radar Hardwire - Nissan Armada Forum: Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums

And this one from the G37 Forum:
Improvised "invisicord" assembly & install tip for Radar Detector - MyG37

Below are my pics and a quick write up. Works great and cuts off when the vehicle cuts off.

Telephone cord that came with my V1. It only had 2 inner wires, I think regular phone line may have 4... Not sure. Red = Ground, Green = Power

Used the male connector from the Armada Forum DIY. About $3 @ Radioshack

Solder it.

Heat Shrink It

Connector out of the back of the mirror with 3 wires. Black is ground, driver's side wire is the power wire. Push the pin (red from the telephone cord) into the black slot. Take the green wire pin and put it in the drivers side wire slot.

Connected

Installed and zip-tied.

Reactions: greenhut
#12 ·
Infiniti has one but it doesnt look good IMO! Keep us posted on those smoked tails!

#14 ·
Is the pic on your avatar your car or at least the one you're getting?

#27 ·
My connector is much bigger and had 7 wires coming instead of 3 like you posted... how do I know which to stick them in in mine? See pictures

View attachment 5018 View attachment 5026 View attachment 5034

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Aggie - Black is ground, Green is ignition power. They are in the same row (the row with three wires) closest to the retaining clip. Green is at the end of the connector row, black in the middle (but last of the three cables in this row).

#18 ·
Black = ground. I believe the light orange is the power wire. At least it is on mine.

#21 ·
It takes no tools to get it out. Sorry no pics.

- Buy GTR Start Button
- Move steering column all the way down.
- Put your fingers in the gap between the panel (where the start button is) and the gauge cluster glass.
- Pull towards you gently, you will notice the surround around the gauges will start unhooking too. Then pull the other side towards you (where the trip reset and illumination levels are)
- Just pull it towards you, not out. This should give you enough room to unlock the 2 push clamps holding it in. They are located at 9 & 3 on the button control unit.
- Push the button from the rear towards you.
- Unhook the two connectors, button is now removed.

On other Nissan & Infiniti vehicles they are a direct replacement. In the q50 it is not. You have to take apart both buttons down to the just the actual button and replace the GTR one into the housing of Q50 Button. It's just a bunch of clips (no screws) that hold it together. A small flathead works best to take them apart. ... Also, I put a piece of black tape over the yellow led so only the blue would show through when the button is illuminated. The actual button does stick out a little bit but it could be modified (trimming the end) to sit flush with the dash.

Reactions: jacobzking
#23 ·
I did the radar hookup in my Q today and it works perfectly. Thanks for the writeup

#24 ·
Do you guys leave the high end radar detectors mounted all the time? I don't generally park in high crime areas, and worry less about the detector loss than I do the damage to the car to steal it.

When I was younger and drove faster, I used a detector regularly. Now, I tend to set the cruise at speed limit + 10, and not get bothered. Still wouldn't mind the extra protection for those special times :) Don't want to deal with mounting/un-mounting though...

Reactions: afrosheen
#26 ·
Mine is mounted all the time.

#25 ·
I don't I usually have it hidden and take it out when I need it. I do leave the suction cup though.

#29 ·
How do you like the V1 did you purchase it after taking the delivery of your Q50 or were you a previous owner, trying to decide between V1 and passport 9500ix

#31 ·
Had it since 2005. Still works great!!!

#30 ·
V1 should be a no-brainer. You can mail it in and get hardware upgrades for about $100 any time they upgrade it. Also, software upgrades are free when you send it in. You can find a 4 year old model on Craigslist or somewhere, buy it cheap, mail it in (with 100 or so bucks) and get a brand new model with all the bells and whistles.

Plus they have an iPhone app, a bluetooth module that works with the app, remote displays you can embed in the dash (or anywhere), plus world-class detection. However, it's just a really good radar detector.

If the Passport you're talking about is the one with all the fancy gadgetry like XM traffic updates, GPS tagging, etc. then it's also a good deal. The problem with anything but a V1 is there is always something better around the corner and no upgrade path.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.