Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the whole buying a new car thing and I don't have much experience when it comes to negotiating with dealers.

To the Infiniti dealers on these forums, would it be completely outlandish of me to want to right around $52k for a RWD Q50 sport hybrid with tech package?

$52k is the number I've decided is my max budget on a new car, and I know that there isn't much hope of talking out a deal with most dealerships on this car, at least not early on.

Also, how much would a car with an MSRP of $52k be likely to increase after taxes and fees added on(I know it will vary by state, just looking for a ball-park figure), and would it be ridiculous of me to say I won't pay a penny more than the MSRP, including the additional fees?

Sorry if this post seems a little ignorant, but like I said, I'm not too learned in the car buying arts!

·
Registered
171 Posts
buying a car at MSRP is stupid.....because in a few months they will drop and at some point you can grab the car at close to invoice. At this point you can negotiate, offer them about $5k less and see what happens...you'll probably meet up somewhere in the middle.

additional feels are a couple extra hundred $$. Tax is whatever the sales tax is for your state. For example in NY (8.6 %)....that adds about $4400 to the price of the car (at 52k).

id say wait it out a bit

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I suggest you pre-order the car before end of this month. I think the price will increase once the pre-order is over. Also, you get $350 Apple gift card if you pre-order.
I pre-order mine and will negoiate once the car arrive.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
In most states(if not all), if you're trading in a car, you'll pay sales tax only on the difference after you subtract the value of the trade. If you buy in a no sales tax state, and then register it in the state you live in that has sales tax, you'll have to pay the sales tax of that state. I know that in Florida, the sales tax used to be only on the first $5,000 - I don't know if that has changed since I left the state. If you are young(and I assume you are), I suggest you take an experienced and older friend with you to the dealer. It will then be less lilely that you'll be paying more than you should.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
buying a car at MSRP is stupid.....because in a few months they will drop and at some point you can grab the car at close to invoice. At this point you can negotiate, offer them about $5k less and see what happens...you'll probably meet up somewhere in the middle.

additional feels are a couple extra hundred $$. Tax is whatever the sales tax is for your state. For example in NY (8.6 %)....that adds about $4400 to the price of the car (at 52k).

id say wait it out a bit
Thanks for the responses guys,

I do plan on waiting until probably the beginning of next year to actually purchase because I do want to see not only professional reviews, but reviews from other's that purchased as well, not to mention to see if the car is selling as well as people hope.

As for paying MSRP, I wasn't sure if dealers would come down off the price of a car that's new and in high demand, so I didn't know if they would even negotiate, but I guess it never hurts to try anyway.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I really NEED a car in the next 2 months. I am VERY reluctant to pay MSRP for a car because it is higher than what the car would sell in a few months. If Infiniti wants to push for a strong Q3 or even YE, I believe you can negotiate it down to be lower than MSRP. If not, I may act stupid for once and just get it at sticker price (maybe i will come to my senses by then and be able to walk away)

Here is my take on cars,

Yes the Q50 is beautiful, and probably drives like a dream. But look at the competition, Lexus IS just came out with a new model, there are always Acuras that are cheaper alternatives but very reliable. I have not even mentioned BMW 3, Audi A4, Mercedes...etc. These are some VERY STRONG competitors in a VERY Competitive segment! Unless Q50 is far and beyond ahead of Lexus and the Germans, I don't think they should be paid MSRP.

Also, understanding how manufacturers and dealership make money is important. Dealerships buy the cars from the manufacturer at "Invoice" price. In the simpliest form, the dealership make the profit between Invoice and sell price. The sales person make 20-30% of the dealership's gross profit. Now, if the MSRP is 52K, and the invoice is 49K, the dealership is making a WHOPPING $3,000 off you. While I think sales people and dealership work hard (tough schedule) and have a family to raise too, do you think they deserve $3000 for the service? There is ALOT more to the price and profit, this is just a very SIMPLE way to explaining it.

Remember, they NEED to sell you the car, you DONT HAVE TO get the car from them.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Can the Q50 be ordered with the sport package and no sun roof?
As far as I know the sunroof is standard on the sport model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Soon, your desire to be at $52k will definitely be possible several months from now when the market supply catches up with demand. Right now in Los Angeles, dealers are getting $5k-$7k markups on the Sport Hybrids. That is just what the market demand is right now.

MSRP on a Sport Hybrid Tech is $53,655 so you are not far away. Wait a few months until dealers have more than 1 or 2 on their lots and you should be able get your price.

I work for a dealer and I can't get one for less than MSRP.

·
Registered
28 Posts
LOL this car isnt a Shelby, AMG or any special car. lol Its funny when people pay for cars that will be in abundance in a month or two. Ive never paid MSRP on any mass production car, and wont. I actually have never paid more than invoice. (usually invoice - additional rebates/incentives etc)

I also tend to shop on the last week of a quarter or sometimes end of year.

·
Premium Member
699 Posts
Right now in Los Angeles, dealers are getting $5k-$7k markups on the Sport Hybrids

I would tell them to go to h3ll, but since they're in Los Angeles, they already are.:D
How are they getting anything when they haven't been sold yet? Most of the dealers I've seen around here have the cars on their websites at sticker, I haven't seen anyone selling for more, nevermind 5K-7K more. My dealer in Tustin (25 miles south of Los Angeles) has 1 Hybrid Sport and they are listing it for MSRP.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
5-7k over MSRP ... They can rotate ... Lol ill wait no hurry ...by November or December I'm expecting some minor discounts ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I test drove a premium on Saturday at Sewell Infiniti in Dallas Tx. The sticker was 46,000 and it had everything i wanted. Since I have been a longtime Sewell customer they quoted me a price of 42,000. It depends on where you are and what the dealer ship is willing to do. I did not buy the car because I am waiting for the 2014 Cadillac CTS to come out. But At that price it jumped to the very top of my list. It was sweet.

·
Registered
10 Posts
LOL this car isnt a Shelby, AMG or any special car. lol Its funny when people pay for cars that will be in abundance in a month or two. Ive never paid MSRP on any mass production car, and wont. I actually have never paid more than invoice. (usually invoice - additional rebates/incentives etc)

I also tend to shop on the last week of a quarter or sometimes end of year.
Bought my 2008 CTS on December 18th. 11,000 off msrp. :D

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I test drove a premium on Saturday at Sewell Infiniti in Dallas Tx. The sticker was 46,000 and it had everything i wanted. Since I have been a longtime Sewell customer they quoted me a price of 42,000. It depends on where you are and what the dealer ship is willing to do. I did not buy the car because I am waiting for the 2014 Cadillac CTS to come out. But At that price it jumped to the very top of my list. It was sweet.
I liked the new CTS as well, but it's far too large for me, not to mention I hear there is going to be quite the price hike since they're trying to differentiate a lot more from the ATS. It's still a beautiful car.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I liked the new CTS as well, but it's far too large for me, not to mention I hear there is going to be quite the price hike since they're trying to differentiate a lot more from the ATS. It's still a beautiful car.
I think I might have to agree with you on the price. At the prices I was quoted for MSRP (around 60k) for what I wanted. The value for the money just is not there. Besides the stereo in the Q is going to blow the CTS away. I commute 2 hours a day I needs me some good tunes. BTW the interior dimensions of the Q are very close to the CTS and the Q has more front leg room. I'm 6' 5" so....yeah.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.