Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a link to the full article:

2014 Cadillac CTS: The Jalopnik Review

The first segment brings up an interesting point about the previous CTS model and the fact that it sat between the targeted 3 and 5 series but wasn't really able to compete with either.

Previous threads on this forum referenced the same type of 'class confusion' with the Q50 - especially early on when the lease payments were outrageously high.

Now that we're starting to see better leasing on the Q and the G still selling side by side, it looks like Infiniti is trying to avoid this mistake. Curious to hear if any of you see more clarity regarding where the Q sits now vs. when it first came out and there was some of the same confusion.

"When Cadillac started reinventing itself, the CTS was the workhorse in its lineup. It was positioned to compete with both BMW 3-series and BMW 5-series sized competitors. And other than the glorious CTS-V, the hard working Caddy suffered for it. They compared it to the 3-Series at some times, the 5-Series at others, which meant that the CTS didn't have a defined identity. It had to be all things to all people all at once.

Sure, the last generation car looked pretty great, but it was too small to be a real 5-series competitor and too bloated to compete with the 3-series. It fell into some weird sports sedan purgatory where it just couldn't thrive. It also hurt Cadillac from within. The CTS was too close in size to the STS, and it was the better car. It made the STS totally redundant."

Seems like they really like THE CTS.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Its interesting as the G35 and CTS debuted around the same time with the same intentions, entry level in price, features but larger than the usual suspects. Fast forward to today and Cadillac has put their efforts into truly moving the CTS upmarket to fight the 5 series, E-class, GS, A6 etc and the ATS is now the entry level car with similar entry level dimensions. The CTS is longer be a "tweener" while Infiniti changes the name and still sells the G37 alongside the Q50 and its still a "tweener" in size and still considered an entry level vehicle ala C-class, 3 series, IS, A4 etc. Infiniti though already had the M37/56 so now the CTS will take that one since its moved up in class officially.

The boosted V-6 is amazing and we already know about the CTS-V. Infiniti came with IPL around the same time.

The Q50 starts around 38k and ends around 55k fully loaded and the CTS which used to start at 34k is now starting at FROM $45,100 - $72,300

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Not interested in Government Motors products. Didn't even like them when they were General Motors. Crap build quality hasn't changed.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Its interesting as the G35 and CTS debuted around the same time with the same intentions, entry level in price, features but larger than the usual suspects. Fast forward to today and Cadillac has put their efforts into truly moving the CTS upmarket to fight the 5 series, E-class, GS, A6 etc and the ATS is now the entry level car with similar entry level dimensions. The CTS is longer be a "tweener" while Infiniti changes the name and still sells the G37 alongside the Q50 and its still a "tweener" in size and still considered an entry level vehicle ala C-class, 3 series, IS, A4 etc. Infiniti though already had the M37/56 so now the CTS will take that one since its moved up in class officially.

The boosted V-6 is amazing and we already know about the CTS-V. Infiniti came with IPL around the same time.

The Q50 starts around 38k and ends around 55k fully loaded and the CTS which used to start at 34k is now starting at FROM $45,100 - $72,300
I'm still trying to understand Infiniti's "logic" on that one.... :confused: If I originally had a loaded G37, I highly doubt I would be moving to a Q50, dont care how loaded it was. Infiniti better really impress me by the time my lease is up, competition is getting fierce in this segment.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Early on, when leases were in the $600's and $700's it was confusing positioning. A replacement for the G with the payment of an M? Was it meant to compete with the Lexus IS or GS? It really was hard to figure out.

I just saw that Infiniti is offering $3,000+ Loyalty incentives now so that should help the lease payments quite a bit. Maybe they were going for the Lexus pricing model but early sales didn't support that type of profit? Especially with the relatively poor reviews (as I said, I don't agree with those reviews but they are out there).

No doubt how the ATS and CTS are positioned.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
Early on, when leases were in the $600's and $700's it was confusing positioning. A replacement for the G with the payment of an M? Was it meant to compete with the Lexus IS or GS? It really was hard to figure out.

I just saw that Infiniti is offering $3,000+ Loyalty incentives now so that should help the lease payments quite a bit. Maybe they were going for the Lexus pricing model but early sales didn't support that type of profit? Especially with the relatively poor reviews (as I said, I don't agree with those reviews but they are out there).

No doubt how the ATS and CTS are positioned.
About reviews....

They have their opinions and facts but everything they say shouldn't be taken to heart, some should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's always best to read/watch a number of reviews and testing the car for yourself and going from their.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About reviews....

They have their opinions and facts but everything they say shouldn't be taken to heart, some should be taken with a grain of salt.

It's always best to read/watch a number of reviews and testing the car for yourself and going from their.
I absolutely agree with you. Unfortunately, the Q has taken a beating from a lot of the American press, most recently from Consumer Reports, and I'm thinking part of the incentives MAY be Infiniti trying to overcome some of that bad press. I think it's very unfortunate as I love my Q and disagree with most of the negative reviewers statements for the most part.

I thought this review of the new CTS was interesting because a number of early comments about the Q seemed to echo the in-between status of the previous CTS and how Cadillac made a clear decision to position the new ATS and CTS the way they have.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.