• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Candy Red wheels, Pure White Car.

I can't decide on a brake caliper/lug combo on my Red Sport for my new wheels being built. Wanted to see what you guys think.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Nothing looks better than a glossy red brake caliper IMPO.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Rainbow like 6ix9ine

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Is the poll for what we have or think looks the best? I voted what I have. If it's for what looks the best you should have included "Other"

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
Is the poll for what we have or think looks the best? I voted what I have. If it's for what looks the best you should have included "Other"

My vote wasn't the color I want/have but the color that I think would go well with his car body color (white) and wheels (candy red).

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
Depends on the color of the car, Red tends to go well with almost any car color but if you have a silver/grey color gold or bronze calipers look pretty sick.
Same can be said with yellow and Acid green, but again depends heavily on your car color.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Ferrari Yellow, but red is so common it doesn't yell out like Yellow does. Brake dust anodized dark gray (gun metal to bronzish like the true AP Racing calipers are makes a lot of sense. Looks very good and can withstand the heat w/o changing the painted color. They have yellow writing on them for accent.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
Red Wheels with Gold/Yellow Calipers will look too McDonalds like. Everytime I see that combo it's my first thought. Especially since your car is White. I'd go Gunmetal or Black with your combo.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Depends on the color of the car, Red tends to go well with almost any car color but if you have a silver/grey color gold or bronze calipers look pretty sick.

Same can be said with yellow and Acid green, but again depends heavily on your car color.

I've probably got way TOO much time on my hands with this stuff, but here goes....

My older brother was an art Professor (he's retired now and is a docent on weekends at the Getty Museum of Art). Needless to say I grew up immersed in art and artistic/color theory.

I posted this before on my caliper choice. It's all about the color wheel.

The colors directly across the color wheel of your car's color are contrasting colors. The ones adjacent to it are complementary to your color.

For example, my Q is a beautiful Iridium Blue. I want my calipers to contrast. Orange/gold is the only choice. And it's going to look sick, as it did on my blue Lexus!

There's a reason red calipers, in general "look" good on just about any car. And that is:

Purple and Orange are not the most popular of colors for cars

(Now please, I'm NOT hatin' on any of you purple or orange car owners! I myself owned almost bought a spectacular burnt orange Mitsu Eclipse instead of black a few years ago). But purple and orange are right next to red on the color wheel. Not gonna work out very well...IF you want to contrast, that is.

For our friend with the white car with the red wheels... Since your car is white, it's a neutral color. So just about any color will go with it. Same goes for black, charcoal, gray, etc.

Aesthetically speaking (this is most definitely NOT all science), RED would look good. Except of course, he said his WHEELS are red. Now you gotta take those into account.

Looking at the color wheel:

Bisecting the color wheel contrasting color options for red wheels are:

Green, yellow and blue.

Intuitively it just doesn't seem like green or blue calipers are gonna work, no matter what the color wheel says...

Yellow might work?!

The final test is to Google the color combo:

Yellow it is. IMHO.

EDIT: of course you can’t go wrong with a more toned down neutral color like gunmetal...but you might wanna try the yellow. I don’t think it’s too much “over the top”, especially with a white car

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I agree, especially with Red wheels.
Yellow

I didn't think Yellow would get such huge support. If I go yellow, what specific color? There are so many shades! I was thinking getting a pearly yellow and getting Spray Cans made from automotivetouchpaint.com and spraying them myself.

White car.

Ferrari Yellow, but red is so common it doesn't yell out like Yellow does. Brake dust anodized dark gray (gun metal to bronzish like the true AP Racing calipers are makes a lot of sense. Looks very good and can withstand the heat w/o changing the painted color. They have yellow writing on them for accent.
Red on a different shade of red is throwing me off. Gray just seems too.....I don't know, bland? Maybe, Pearl Gunmetal with yellow decals.

For our friend with the white car with the red wheels... Since your car is white, it's a neutral color. So just about any color will go with it. Same goes for black, charcoal, gray, etc.

Aesthetically speaking (this is most definitely NOT all science), RED would look good. Except of course, he said his WHEELS are red. Now you gotta take those into account.

Looking at the color wheel:

Bisecting the color wheel contrasting color options for red wheels are:

Green, yellow and blue.

Intuitively it just doesn't seem like green or blue calipers are gonna work, no matter what the color wheel says...

Yellow might work?!

The final test is to Google the color combo:

Yellow it is. IMHO.

EDIT: of course you can’t go wrong with a more toned down neutral color like gunmetal...but you might wanna try the yellow. I don’t think it’s too much “over the top”, especially with a white car

Wow, did not expect this depth of a response.

Green? I feel like I will be Santa but a few months early.

Yellow is definitely on the block.

Blue? I will be the amazing Spiderman slinging through the streets of Texas.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I didn't think Yellow would get such huge support. If I go yellow, what specific color? There are so many shades! I was thinking getting a pearly yellow and getting Spray Cans made from automotivetouchpaint.com and spraying them myself.

White car.

Red on a different shade of red is throwing me off. Gray just seems too.....I don't know, bland? Maybe, Pearl Gunmetal with yellow decals.

Wow, did not expect this depth of a response.

Green? I feel like I will be Santa but a few months early.

Yellow is definitely on the block.

Blue? I will be the amazing Spiderman slinging through the streets of Texas.

Ha! Definitely not green. That’s where societal bias comes into play. I’m afraid Xmas ruins that color combo for all time!

The color of yellow is important here, because you wanna stay away from the “Golden arches McDonald’s” look. That vivid Porsche yellow or maybe Ferrari yellow comes to mind. Stars and Stripes literally Red (wheels) white (car) and blue (calipers) is not gonna cut it either.

I’ll bet this would work:

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ha! Definitely not green. That’s where societal bias comes into play. I’m afraid Xmas ruins that color combo for all time!

The color of yellow is important here, because you wanna stay away from the “Golden arches McDonald’s” look. That vivid Porsche yellow or maybe Ferrari yellow comes to mind. Stars and Stripes literally Red (wheels) white (car) and blue (calipers) is not gonna cut it either.

I’ll bet this would work:

A little dull, no?

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
No .. in the sun will look good. You want some debth in the yellow. Lighter/brighter will wash out in the sun. Just IMHO.

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
1 - 20 of 23 Posts