Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received a call from an Infiniti rep this past week end

I returned the call today

They were calling to see how I like the car in general and specifically what I thought about the paddle shifting feature

I told her I like the car but that Infiniti needs a lot of improvement corporate wide if they want to be a successful brand (the Apps still don't work, my selling dealer was essentially untrained on the car at time of sale, my current servicing dealer didn't address the maintenance other warning when I took the car in for the DAS recall)

She said she would pass the info along and that she received some similar inputs (also that no one cares about the paddle shifting feature)

Anyone else get such a call?

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
Paddle shifters have to stay. Don't make infiniti a boring lexus.
They'd have to make it FWD and Altima-based to do that.;) Seeing as how the JX is, I wouldn't tempt Ghosn though. I'm sure he'd love to put every Infiniti on the Rogue Niss-renault platform with a mandatory CVT. That's why DeNysschen is here- to actually make things interesting.:eek:

Aside from the ES and RX there isn't much boring about Lexus these days.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I got this same call. The woman said she was from Infiniti's Michigan R&D center. I told her I don't use the paddle shifters much since I live in the Boston Metro area, but if I drove on more open, twisty roads, I probably would use them more.

When she asked if I had any other comments for the R&D team, I told her about my disappointment with Infiniti, and she seemed somewhat surprised. I told her Infiniti never should have released the car with so many InTouch bugs. They never should have put InTouch in customers' hands at the quality level it was in before the October update, at least not without labeling it a beta product and warning customers. I also told her that I still experience occasional bugs, but they are at a tolerable level at this point. Still, I was promised the Apps by last September, and here it is March, and Infiniti has done a horrible job at keeping their customers informed. The Apps and the tech features were one of the main reasons I decided to switch to Infiniti instead of buying another Acura, but it's just been a huge disappointment.

I also told her about the non-linear braking in the Hybrids. She was very surprised to hear this and didn't understand what I was talking about.

In the end, I told her that it is a beautiful car with many positive qualities, and it really has the potential to be a truly amazing car, but these issues have really left a bad taste in my mouth, and Infiniti's handling of these problems has been terrible.

I do commend the R&D guys for reaching out directly to customers instead of waiting for marketing or Consumer Affairs to gather the data and filter it back to them.

Reactions: misterba

·
Registered
243 Posts
I also told her about the non-linear braking in the Hybrids. She was very surprised to hear this and didn't understand what I was talking about.

I'll say it again - no braking problems with my Q50S Hybrid!!! Makes me wonder what you are talking about, also. That's probably why she didn't "understand you". Maybe Infiniti should poll Hybrid owners to see how many actually have "non-linear" braking. My bet is that it would be very few. Also, maybe Infiniti should teach inexperienced EV/Hybrid drivers about the brakes and how to use them.

·
Registered
243 Posts
They'd have to make it FWD and Altima-based to do that.;) Seeing as how the JX is, I wouldn't tempt Ghosn though. I'm sure he'd love to put every Infiniti on the Rogue Niss-renault platform with a mandatory CVT. That's why DeNysschen is here- to actually make things interesting.:eek:

Have you driven the new Rogue on the Nissan/Renault platform? It is a great vehicle even with the 4 cylinder/CVT. As they say, "Don't knock it until you try it".

·
Premium Member
449 Posts

Have you driven the new Rogue on the Nissan/Renault platform? It is a great vehicle even with the 4 cylinder/CVT. As they say, "Don't knock it until you try it".
I'm not knocking it, just saying that it is boring in the scope of RWD luxury cars with geared transmissions. The JX would be great as an upmarket Pathfinder, but as an Infiniti I would rather have something off of a RWD platform with a 7+ speed automatic.

My fantasy is for the next QX60 to be based off of the Mercedes GL-class platform, but I shudder at how many limbs and internal organs MB will demand in return for that jewel. ;)

BTW I haven't driven a 2014 Rogue yet, but I have driven the 2013 Altima. Different platform, yes, but similar in execution and the same power train. I haven't gotten around to writing my OCD review of it yet, but the Altima is the only car I'd seriously consider in its segment aside from the amazing new Mazda6. The Altima is the Mercedes to the Mazda's old-school (back when they could steer and handle) BMW. In fact, I recently rented a 2013 E-class (E350 RWD), and the 2013 Altima I had nearly matched its noise suppression and ride quality. That's amazing at half the price. Though it's not nearly as good as the Merc overall, it's a stunning car for its price point. I think that CVTs work really well in FWD mainstream cars that aren't trying to be sporty.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts

I'll say it again - no braking problems with my Q50S Hybrid!!! Makes me wonder what you are talking about, also. That's probably why she didn't "understand you". Maybe Infiniti should poll Hybrid owners to see how many actually have "non-linear" braking. My bet is that it would be very few. Also, maybe Infiniti should teach inexperienced EV/Hybrid drivers about the brakes and how to use them.
Amen to that. Awhile back, I said that it would be interesting to see the age groups of those who have problems with the braking and those who don't. It's my guess that there would be a definite split in which group has the "problem."

·
Registered
164 Posts
Regarding the paddle shifter, I used it a number of times during snow storms to downshift/slow down the car so as to minimize braking/sliding, similar to how I've used manual transmissions in the past. So to me that's a nice feature.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Regarding the paddle shifter, I used it a number of times during snow storms to downshift/slow down the car so as to minimize braking/sliding, similar to how I've used manual transmissions in the past. So to me that's a nice feature.
I agree.

Im surprised of the "hate" for the paddles....to me using paddles at the steering wheel is a lot more natural than pushing up/down on the shifter handle.

I realize its more "manual like" if you are using the shifter handle, but if Im in manumatic mode in my G, I use the paddles almost exclusively.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Given that the engine, transmission, and (from the looks of it) the paddle shifters were all carried over from the G37 my guess is that this was an easy thing to include on the Q. The engineering and development costs were already amortized for the most part due to all the carryover from the G.

Features like cooled seats (that weren't offered on the G) are a whole different story.

FWIW, I use the paddles a lot since moving to So Cal. We have lots of hills around here and my daily trip to my kids' school has me using them especially on the downhill sections :)

·
Registered
60 Posts

Hey avanti5010,

Have you ever had your parking cameras turn on and start beeping while driving in the snow? I'm guessing the answer is no, since your profile says you are from Arizona and California. If you haven't experienced this, does that make those of us who have a bunch of idiots who don't know how to use the parking sensors? What makes you think your fair-weather experience is representative of the vast majority of Q50 owners around the country who drive in a wide variety of climate and traffic conditions? Your contention that because you personally have not experienced the uneven or non-linear braking, anyone who has is an idiot who doesn't know how to use their brakes is ridiculous. Or perhaps you can explain to me what this special technique for braking in a hybrid is, you know, since you're such an experienced EV/hybrid driver and I'm just an idiot?

For your information, I didn't really experience uneven braking last summer when I first bought the car. It's really been more obvious over the last few months as we in the Northeast have been going through a very long, brutally cold winter. Therefore, I suspect this issue is related to temperature. This would also potentially explain why you and other members who live in milder weather states haven't experienced it.

I know I'm not the only member on this forum to mention the non-linear braking. It has also been documented by Motor Trend, Edmunds, and probably several others. Yet you're willing to bet that only a "very few" have this issue. I really don't think the non-linear braking is a huge "problem", by the way. I was called by someone representing Infiniti's R&D department, and she seemed genuinely interested in hearing about my experiences and how I thought Infiniti could improve future products. As an engineer myself, I would appreciate hearing such feedback, as I am always looking for ways to make my products better. I also told her about some of the more positive aspects of the car. I'm more disappointed in Infiniti the company, not the car.

And selzini, just what age group are you assuming is experiencing braking issues? I would really like to know.

It seems to me that this forum is becoming more and more hostile, and I don't understand why. I see people come on here to share their experiences and try to learn from other owners, only to have people jump down their throats, call them names, and belittle them. Last week someone posted about having problems connecting their iPhone after upgrading to iOS 7.1. I responded that I had no issues after upgrading. I thought that knowing that the problem wasn't widespread might help them troubleshoot the problem. I didn't say, "hey, I haven't had any problems, so clearly you're an idiot who doesn't know how to use your iPhone or your Infiniti!!!"

·
Premium Member
1,692 Posts
Given that the engine, transmission, and (from the looks of it) the paddle shifters were all carried over from the G37 my guess is that this was an easy thing to include on the Q. The engineering and development costs were already amortized for the most part due to all the carryover from the G.

Features like cooled seats (that weren't offered on the G) are a whole different story.

FWIW, I use the paddles a lot since moving to So Cal. We have lots of hills around here and my daily trip to my kids' school has me using them especially on the downhill sections :)
Yeah, actually, the G37 had cooled seats in the IPL convertible. But then again, the seats for the Q are not carryovers, they're an all new design (borrowing heavily from Nissan's "zero gravity" seats). Regardless, not even offering them as an option was a big thumbs down for me. When it's over 100 for most of the summer, having regular seats is kind of a bummer.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Yeah, actually, the G37 had cooled seats in the IPL convertible. But then again, the seats for the Q are not carryovers, they're an all new design (borrowing heavily from Nissan's "zero gravity" seats). Regardless, not even offering them as an option was a big thumbs down for me. When it's over 100 for most of the summer, having regular seats is kind of a bummer.
Ahh...did not know that. I stand corrected.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.