Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My first post so be gentle!
I was just wondering if there was many owners of Diesel Q50s on here?
I'm in the UK and Diesel is definitely the most popular variant here, but we don't have a UK forum so I thought I would sign up here...
Would be nice to discuss some issues with other diesel owners if they are about?

Cheeky picture for you...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the welcome Element. its a 2016 (easy to tell in the Uk by the licence plate!)

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure I would call the diesel sweet, its a clunky noisy old thing, reasonably swift once up to speed but its no sports car. Reasonably frugal at 46mpg(UK) which is about 38mpg US. no where near its claimed milage but they never are!!
Biggest drawback is the 1 second delay occasionally between putting your footdown and something happening, can be properly frightening at junctions! maybe I should reset the ECU....

·
Registered
100 Posts
Thanks for the welcome Element. its a 2016 (easy to tell in the Uk by the licence plate!)

Hmmmm..... I'm not sure I would call the diesel sweet, its a clunky noisy old thing, reasonably swift once up to speed but its no sports car. Reasonably frugal at 46mpg(UK) which is about 38mpg US. no where near its claimed milage but they never are!!
Biggest drawback is the 1 second delay occasionally between putting your footdown and something happening, can be properly frightening at junctions! maybe I should reset the ECU....

The 3.7's have the same problem with the same transmission.

In the UK, the plates stay with the car even if you sell it right?

Also, welcome! I love the euro headlights, looks amazing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does the 3.7 have the same 7 speed auto then?

Yes UK cars keep their plates until the car is crushed!

I didn't realise we had different lights to our friends across the pond! What do the usa lights look like?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi and welcome!
Always good to find some Europeans - I've got a brand new 2.2d as well.
Based in Germany, although London is my "second home" - used to live just outside - and last time I've been there was 8 days ago :D

I already started that discussion on a German Forum, but I'd disagree with the Engine being "a clunky noisy old thing".
Yeah, with it being a Mercedes Engine, it does carry a bit of it's famous "Taxi sound".
Compared to a V6 Petrol (or any Petrol engine) -of course it is! Compared to most other 4 cylinder Diesel Engines however, it's actually rather reasonable.

Cheers
DD

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You are probably right I am being a bit harsh. But the equivalent vw 2.0d i had before is much more refined and the renault v6 diesel (also used by infinity) I I had before that was sublime if not a little thirsty.

You finding the same hesitancy then?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah I do.

There's a bit of lag that takes getting used to, however, since my other car is a '15 X-Trail 1.6dci ("Baby-Infiniti") with terrible CVT, the Infiniti is a step in the right direction and no problem for me to drive appropriately.

The Nissan is quite a bit more hesitant: Had my wife ask me why I'm not going when I already had my foot on the floor during its first days.

Generally I downsized too far on my last cars (from 300hp Mustang to 184hp BMW to 130hp Nissan), so the Infiniti (and the BMW) were just right / sufficient in terms of power and power to weight.

Having said that, I haven't really pushed the engine yet, since it still is brand new and only has 400mi on the clock.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I do.

Having said that, I haven't really pushed the engine yet, since it still is brand new and only has 400mi on the clock.
Thanks that's interesting. Mine has improved slightly with age but still irritating. Coming up to 6k miles on mine and performance and mpg both continue to go up, so you've got more fun yet to come.
I've had much faster cars but I find generally performance is more than adequate, it's just the initial take off that I am struggling with.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd disagree with the Engine being "a clunky noisy old thing".
Hate to argue but it is, it's by far the loudest and most annoying sounding engine of any 2L diesels in its class (D3,Jag,Alfa).
Especially if it's your first ever diesel (like for me, first and last, never ever). Sadly the way our Austrian road tax system is setup, it would cost ~500Eur/year extra to drive the 2L petrol engine instead without adding the higher (per liter and consumption) fuel costs. Even with 35K km per year I do regret not springing for the petrol version, hybrid would be ideal but road tax would be 2K Eur/year which is nuts.
Sadly the diesel engine is the only major gripe I have about the car, trunk could be taller but oh well, every sedan in the class is similar. (petrol version has bit more trunk volume according to spec sheet)

My winter tires arrived today, am curious how they will effect fuel consumption. So far after 11K km it's ~6.2L/100km. 19" non-runflat winter tires, Pirellli Sotozero 3. Curious about the non RF winter vs RF summer comparison too.
Hope someone brings a hybrid or electric car with similar design as the Q50 and good seats (really love them, lumbar support should be more adjustable though) in 2018 when I will sell the Q.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hate to argue but it is, it's by far the loudest and most annoying sounding engine of any 2L diesels in its class (D3,Jag,Alfa).
Especially if it's your first ever diesel (like for me, first and last, never ever). Sadly the way our Austrian road tax system is setup, it would cost ~500Eur/year extra to drive the 2L petrol engine instead without adding the higher (per liter and consumption) fuel costs. Even with 35K km per year I do regret not springing for the petrol version, hybrid would be ideal but road tax would be 2K Eur/year which is nuts.
Sadly the diesel engine is the only major gripe I have about the car, trunk could be taller but oh well, every sedan in the class is similar. (petrol version has bit more trunk volume according to spec sheet)

My winter tires arrived today, am curious how they will effect fuel consumption. So far after 11K km it's ~6.2L/100km. 19" non-runflat winter tires, Pirellli Sotozero 3. Curious about the non RF winter vs RF summer comparison too.
Hope someone brings a hybrid or electric car with similar design as the Q50 and good seats (really love them, lumbar support should be more adjustable though) in 2018 when I will sell the Q.
Well... I guess it depends on the temperatures of both the engine and surrounding. This weekend I was taking both my cars to the car wash one after the other, stepping out of the "warm" X-Trail and firing up the very cold Q50, I was instantly reminded of Goatboy's quote.
It did sound terrible I admit.

I stick with my opinion that once you've been driving for a while (particularly from the inside) it is quite reasonable, but that may be more thanks to the Q50s insulation rather than the Engine :D

6.2L/100 is pretty decent, no way I'm gonna achieve that in Germany (typically settting cruise control to ~160).

Do have the Euro 6 Engine (with Adblue) though?

I have yet to order Winter Tyres (actually likely going to do that this week) and was slightly torn between RFT vs Non-RFT. Since I don't have room for a spare tyre (Adblue Tank there) or possibly even a fix kit, I think I'm going to order RFTs for Winter also.
Quite satisfied with the performance and comfort of the factory equipped 17" Bridgestone RFTs and have been running RFTs on BMWs since 2007, so I don't mind.

Particularly after having received a "flat tyre" warning on my BMW at 225km/h once and finding it deflated to 0.2 Bar (pratically completely empty) at the next rest stop, I certainly appreciate the technology and extra safety, despite the minor inconveniences.

·
Registered
52 Posts
welcome

Hello Goatboy..
welcome to the Forum..

i am from Germany and i also own a 2.2d sport (2014 Model)... and you're right.. the engine IS noisy , especially in winter times.
I also had a discussion in the the german forum about diesel.. and i really have good experiences with using aral ultimate diesel. you should give it a try..

i also hate the 1-2 second delay.. but.. if a need to be fast,i just push the brake and push down the throttle a bit.. when releasing the brake , the power is there instantly. (Of course, no extreme pushing of Throttle)

i think, inside ( esp. in sport mode) the sound is nice and sporty . ( but outside.. ugly.. sure)

I don't know, how the streets in uk are.. but the question ist: do you really need the power , or just one or two times a year , when someome wants a race ? Even here in Germany where we can go as fast as we want on the autobahn.. 230 km/h are enaugh most of the time (cause you need to brake almost every 30 seconds) . And cruising @160 km/h is really nice and quite.

But.. i also would choose the 2.0 , if i had the choice now.

Have fun with this nice car..

Oliver

·
Registered
25 Posts
aral ultimate diesel. you should give it a try..
Which for Goatboy will be BP Ultimate Diesel :)

I only fill up Shell V-Power Diesel by the way, but only because I pay a €10 / Month flat fee to get it at the same Liter Price as regular Diesel.

Not sure it makes a difference though. On Petrol it would (higher octane), but I think the Diesel is mostly a Marketing exercise.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I don't know, how the streets in uk are.. but the question ist: do you really need the power , or just one or two times a year , when someome wants a race ? Even here in Germany where we can go as fast as we want on the autobahn.. 230 km/h are enaugh most of the time (cause you need to brake almost every 30 seconds) . And cruising @160 km/h is really nice and quite.
Incredible how different our worlds are. Here in BC, most of our highways have a 90km/h speed limit. In the interior a few hours out of Vancouver, some stretches hit 110 or 120 max but it's still pretty rare.

I would love to take my my 3.7 up to 230km/h to see how it handles but a skinny guy like me wouldn't last long in jail :D

·
Registered
52 Posts
Incredible how different our worlds are. Here in BC, most of our highways have a 90km/h speed limit. In the interior a few hours out of Vancouver, some stretches hit 110 or 120 max but it's still pretty rare.

I would love to take my my 3.7 up to 230km/h to see how it handles but a skinny guy like me wouldn't last long in jail :D
welll... to be honest .. no big different in driving 160 km/h or 230 km/h except.. you need to brake for every one, changing to my lane @ slow 160 km/h ... :)

On the autobahn here in Germany ( i think in europe in general) you do not keep your lane when you want to overtake another car.. overtaking is only allowed at the left side of a car (so either middle or left lane).. this causes a lot of lane changes here.. so driving with 320 at the most left lane will not prevend you from another one driving 120 km/h and changing to left lane, because another one with 100 km/h is changing to middle lane to overtake a truck, driving at 90 km/h ...

·
Registered
401 Posts
In Australia we only get the diesel and the hybrid. I see more diesel version than the hybrid. Since there are only less than dozen dealers in Australia with the land size of the USA I'll be lucky to see another Q50 once every two weeks. I see more Maserati Ghibli on the road then the Q50.

When I first test drove the diesel I gave the car back as soon as I went around the block. Sorry to say but I was a little disappointed with the noisy engine mismatch transmission. The sales person then gave the keys to the hybrid and I was sold.hahaha

·
Registered
52 Posts
In Australia we only get the diesel and the hybrid. I see more diesel version than the hybrid. Since there are only less than dozen dealers in Australia with the land size of the USA I'll be lucky to see another Q50 once every two weeks. I see more Maserati Ghibli on the road then the Q50.

When I first test drove the diesel I gave the car back as soon as I went around the block. Sorry to say but I was a little disappointed with the noisy engine mismatch transmission. The sales person then gave the keys to the hybrid and I was sold.hahaha
i money doesn't matter .. i would have done the same :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all! I'm about to take delivery of my 2017 Q50 Sport, so thought I'd pop by and say hello :) I'm from the UK and as much as I'd like the V6, mpg and 20k miles a year have made me decide on diesel. It's not quite as fast as my outgoing Octavia VRS but the overall car is clearly SO much better! I'll drive it for a bit and then treat it to a Stage 1 remap, which will be more than ample :)

1 - 20 of 38 Posts