Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that people are getting to drive the Q50, I know the in-touch isn't allowed to be used, but if anyone gets the chance to check something out I'd appreciate it.

I wonder how he hi-beam assist works on the Q. We have/had it on my wife's Lexus for a few years so the tech may be older but I had to have the dealer turn the feature off. It is not a user accessible activate/deactivate option.

I did not like them at all.

They didn't turn on below 25 mph. We go slower than that in our neighborhood but have lots of deer and no street lights. Would be nice to see where you're going!

Also lots of false on/offs with street sign reflections, etc.

They also turn off below 25mph when you come to a stop sign. Again, dark roads - it's nice to see where you are headed and need them.

Just curious if anyone can try out the Q hi-beam assist and report back, as well as letting us know if the driver can deactivate if desired.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
the manual says you activate it by turning the brights on...at that point, it will turn off the brights when it detects an oncoming car

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
From the manual:

"High beam assist (if so equipped) The high beam assist system will operate when the vehicle is driven at speeds of approximately 22 MPH (35 km/h) and above. If an oncoming vehicle or leading vehicle appears in front of your vehicle when the headlight high beam is on, the headlight will be switched to the low beam automatically.

The high beam or low beam may not switch automatically under the following conditions. Switch the high beam and low beam manually.

To activate the high beam assist system, turn the headlight switch to the AUTO position*1 and push the lever forward*2 (high beam position). The high beam assist indicator light in the meter will illuminate while the headlights are turned on. "

So I'm guessing the hi-beam assist is overridden when you put the headlight into hi or lo beam manually.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Its only activated when you put it in AUTO and then push the lever forward.

Reactions: Q50Aggie

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im sure theres an option in the settings somewhere to disable it, i cant see why they wouldnt have it
Sorry - this post sums it up better than my earlier diatribe.

I know how the system functions. What I was wondering is if you can manually turn the hi-beams on and off without the system doing it automagically.

In other words, let's say I come up on a construction sign. The reflection hits the sensor and the stalk is set to the 'auto' setting. That reflection might cause the system to think another car is coming and drop the headlights to low-beams.

However, I would want them to stay on hi instead of switching in this example (maybe the sign is next to a nasty road dropoff that I want to avoid going over on that particular day :) )

The only way I would be able to keep the hi-beams on in this case, if they were to go low because of the reflection, would be to pull the stalk toward me to manually override the system for a second or two.

That's fine to blink your hi-beams to let someone turn in front of you or for a short area. My issue is the long, dark roads in the neighborhood where I don't want to drive with the lo-beams but I also don't want to have to sit there like a dork pulling the headlight stalk toward me and holding it there for the drive.

So I'm looking for an override setting in in-touch that might allow you to disable the auto hi-beam system so you can just use the headlight stalk like a normal, low tech headlight stalk.

Of course, with all of this said - the system might rock and I'll definitely test it out. I was just curious if anyone knew or could check it out.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
In other words, let's say I come up on a construction sign. The reflection hits the sensor and the stalk is set to the 'auto' setting. That reflection might cause the system to think another car is coming and drop the headlights to low-beams.

However, I would want them to stay on hi instead of switching in this example (maybe the sign is next to a nasty road dropoff that I want to avoid going over on that particular day :) )

The only way I would be able to keep the hi-beams on in this case, if they were to go low because of the reflection, would be to pull the stalk toward me to manually override the system for a second or two.

Thanks!
The manual says this:

To activate the high beam assist system, turn the headlight switch to the AUTO position*1 and push the lever forward*2 (high beam position). The high beam assist indicator light in the meter will illuminate while the headlights are turned on. "

So that's how you get it to turn on the Hi-Beam assist. If its on just AUTO alone, without "pushing the lever forward*2 (high beam position)", it should not engage the hi-beam assist.

Unless I am reading this all wrong.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The manual says this:

So that's how you get it to turn on the Hi-Beam assist. If its on just AUTO alone, without "pushing the lever forward*2 (high beam position)", it should not engage the hi-beam assist.

Unless I am reading this all wrong.

Nope - that's the correct operation. I'm talking about overriding it.

In the description above, it is saying that the dial has to be on 'auto' and the stalk is pushed forward to the hi-beam selection.

The system takes over and does the automatic switching.

My point is this:
I want to leave the headlight dial on 'auto' so I don't have to keep turning my headlights on/off manually.

I would also like to know if you can override the auto hi-beams when pushing the stalk forward.

If I wanted to drive around all day long with my hi-beams on I want to just push that little stalk forward and have the hi-beams on all day. The way the hi-beam assist works is that the system will turn the lights to lo-beam if it senses an oncoming car.

So leaving the stalk in the forward, hi-beam position does not leave the hi-beams on, it activates the hi-beam assist (unless you have the dial set to 'on' instead of 'auto') so the lights will switch to lo-beams when the SYSTEM tells it to, not me. There are many occasions when I want/need hi-beams but the system changes to low.

I just want to be able to leave the dial on auto and control my own **** headlights!!!!!!!! AAArgh, why is this is so hard to explain?!?!?!:D:D:confused::confused:

I think it's just because I've used a system like this I know how it works and just want to know if we can override it with the in-touch system

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
Ohhhh ok. Now I understand what you're asking. If you want to disable it, just put a piece of paper over the sensor.:p It's located behind the review mirror according to the manual.

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohhhh ok. Now I understand what you're asking. If you want to disable it, just put a piece of paper over the sensor.:p It's located behind the review mirror according to the manual.
Hahaha!! There you go!

Done and done! :)

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Dude if you're in a situation where you need hi-beams, it's probably at night so you don't care whether the lights turn off automatically, so just set the headlights to ON instead of AUTO and voila, manual hi-beams.
I hear ya. That's just such a bad workaround if that's the only way to override the system.

I am a little heartened to see all of the articles about the telematics and memory key settings mentioning the hi-beam assist buried in some of the settings so I guess I'll see when I finally get to sit in a Q.

Here's the quote:

Other systems, many of which have user preferences so they can be precisely tailored to driver and journey, include (depending on model and country) Back-up Collision Intervention, Intelligent Brake Assist Plus, Lateral Stability Enhancement, Active Trace Control, Intelligent Cruise Control, Distance Control Assist, High Beam Assistant and Blind Spot Intervention and Warning, as well as Active Lane Control, another world-first system that uses Direct Adaptive Steering (where fitted) to “magnetize” the car to the centre of its lane on motorways.

I don't want to keep rehashing the same question over and over so if anyone is able to CONFIRM if there is a setting in in-touch to override the hi-beam assist I'd appreciate if you'd post back.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
I hear ya. That's just such a bad workaround if that's the only way to override the system.

I am a little heartened to see all of the articles about the telematics and memory key settings mentioning the hi-beam assist buried in some of the settings so I guess I'll see when I finally get to sit in a Q.

Here's the quote:

Other systems, many of which have user preferences so they can be precisely tailored to driver and journey, include (depending on model and country) Back-up Collision Intervention, Intelligent Brake Assist Plus, Lateral Stability Enhancement, Active Trace Control, Intelligent Cruise Control, Distance Control Assist, High Beam Assistant and Blind Spot Intervention and Warning, as well as Active Lane Control, another world-first system that uses Direct Adaptive Steering (where fitted) to “magnetize” the car to the centre of its lane on motorways.

I don't want to keep rehashing the same question over and over so if anyone is able to CONFIRM if there is a setting in in-touch to override the hi-beam assist I'd appreciate if you'd post back.

Thanks!
Not sure if I'll be able to make it today, but I'll try to go to the dealer and sit on my car and look for the setting

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts
Not sure if I'll be able to make it today, but I'll try to go to the dealer and sit on my car and look for the setting
I think you should drop everything and get over there ASAP! :D

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Just to check on my hi-beam assist question ;)

Thanks though- I appreciate it!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Today is going to be a very busy day at work and tomorrow is my birthday...ill try to sneak over maybe this afternoon...can't promise anything though

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, this isn't exactly a burning question for everyone (obvious by the suggestion to put a piece of paper over the sensor :D ) but thanks in advance for checking when you have the opportunity.

And happy birthday!

·
Premium Member
1,949 Posts
Well, this isn't exactly a burning question for everyone (obvious by the suggestion to put a piece of paper over the sensor :D ) but thanks in advance for checking when you have the opportunity.

And happy birthday!
Yea, but it's still my Q50, and I have actually only sat in MINE once....on Monday. So, yea, I'd research your issue, but I'd be really doing it to feed my addiction. :)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.