Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the title might sound irrational.... but there is a rational reason (grin)

I'm sitting in the passenger seat.
I want to input a new destination into the NAV.

But because the vehicle is not stopped, it's all blocked out.
When the driver comes to a stop, we are given the option to continue inputting the address, unless the vehicle starts moving again.

I understand the "concept" of why they are blocking out touch input, as to not have distracted drivers.
And I am aware that voice command is available.... but voice command and my wife (the driver) do not mix.
And the system does not appreciate the accompanied profanity and sarcasm that soon follows.
Nor does it care to listen to the banter between all parties inside the vehicle after said profanity and sarcasm occurs.

This is a smart car... it knows if there's a person in the front passenger seat or not, and will decide if it needs to enable / disable the passenger air bag based upon if it senses someone is sitting in it.

Then why not allow the NAV features to work if the passenger seat is occupied!
This is the first vehicle we've encountered that disables many functions in the In Touch menu while you are driving.

Is there any settings to bypass this?

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
I know the title might sound irrational.... but there is a rational reason (grin)

When the driver comes to a stop, we are given the option to continue inputting the address, unless the vehicle starts moving again.

I understand the "concept" of why they are blocking out touch input, as to not have distracted drivers.
And I am aware that voice command is available.... but voice command and my wife (the driver) do not mix.
And the system does not appreciate the accompanied profanity and sarcasm that soon follows.
Nor does it care to listen to the banter between all parties inside the vehicle after said profanity and sarcasm occurs.

This is a smart car... it knows if there's a person in the front passenger seat or not, and will decide if it needs to enable / disable the passenger air bag based upon if it senses someone is sitting in it.

This is the first vehicle we've encountered that disables many functions in the In Touch menu while you are driving.

I had installed nav bypass module from KP Technology on my G37 convertible but they don't seem to have anything for Q50 yet:
KP Technologies

I know this might not as convenience but I used the Infiniti Personal Assistant... It has been working for me and safer....

At least the voice recognition is a person on the other side.....
yes, simple idea.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Well I did hear that Infiniti is working on the profanity and sarcasm in the next update :p. But you can probably take it to car toys if you really wanted and have this changed so you can use everything while driving. They would have to ground off the cable that goes to the parking brake that allows you to watch dvd's I would assume. Let me ask a tech tomorrow at work and I will let you know.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts

My G37 coupe that didn't have nav still disabled a fair amount of features when driving. While it would be good if the passenger sensor communicated that it's ok to use those features (maybe, after all, it could still be the driver in those situations), I can't imagine any company would want to take the liability of people dialing in street numbers, street names, cities, and zip codes while driving! Thank God you got the option for the car to emergency stop itself. You did get that option, right? If your wife can't use the voice commands, drive next time you have to use the nav or set your destination before you leave. I have never had trouble with the voice commands. Speak clearly, but at a normal pace and it works every time.

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
This is one thing that I missed in my 3rd gen TL. You could program the navigation and use everything for the navigation while driving. Same concept, touch screen interface located in the same place as the inTouch in the Q. Its no different from using the radio in my opinion. I like the idea of allowing it to work if there is a passenger in the seat, that would be somewhat of an improvement I guess. I really hope there's some type of hack or bypass for it in the future.

·
Registered
853 Posts
I think it's absurd that so much is disabled when the car is moving. MANY times my wife and I have to pull over to input data, etc. It's obnoxious, annoying, and if a bypass doesn't come available, then this would almost certainly keep me from buying another Infiniti. If I noticed this on the test drive, I would not have purchased the Q50. It's a deal breaker for me. But I've never actually seen a car disable features like this, so I wasn't exactly looking for it.

My Hyundai Sonata just had a warning message, but EVERYTHING worked when moving.

I bought the car, it's my car, I don't need nor want nanny features deciding when and how I can use the functions in my car.

I'm actually quite shocked some idiot at Infiniti thought this was a good idea. There is no liability concern, else every cell phone manufacturer would have gone out of business years ago.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It's not just Infiniti that does this, Ford does it as well with the MyFord Touch. I know it is annoying and many people say well my passenger wants to control it, but it is also to protect the driver for those who are trying to use it while driving. They have voice controls although even that makes you look at the screen too at times.

·
Premium Member
5,661 Posts
C'mon people, the voice activated navigation ain't that hard to figure out...If the passenger knows the address, just hit that button on the steering wheel twice and you two can decide on who speaks out the address.

You guys talk about saving TIME?

Well, I'm pretty sure the voice activation navigation works a lot faster than having your passenger type it out on the screen.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I think it's absurd that so much is disabled when the car is moving. MANY times my wife and I have to pull over to input data, etc. It's obnoxious, annoying, and if a bypass doesn't come available, then this would almost certainly keep me from buying another Infiniti. If I noticed this on the test drive, I would not have purchased the Q50. It's a deal breaker for me. But I've never actually seen a car disable features like this, so I wasn't exactly looking for it.

My Hyundai Sonata just had a warning message, but EVERYTHING worked when moving.

I bought the car, it's my car, I don't need nor want nanny features deciding when and how I can use the functions in my car.

I'm actually quite shocked some idiot at Infiniti thought this was a good idea. There is no liability concern, else every cell phone manufacturer would have gone out of business years ago.
I actually thought it was a safety requirement of NHTSA that makes it lock up.
Either that or liability concerns from a potential lawsuit. Even aftermarket units do the same thing unless you use a bypass module though - at least Alpine and Pioneer I know do. I'd actually cut the manufacturer some slack on this issue, though I agree that it is annoying. All it takes is one jackass to wreck while looking at the screen to ruin it for everyone (although I personally feel like taking buttons away and making everything touch is more distracting anyways).

What would be nice is if it used the sensors in the passenger seat to determine if someone is in the car or not. Then they could assume that the passenger would be working the screen - wishful thinking I am sure.

·
Registered
147 Posts
This "used" to annoy me on our 2009 Maxima, really the voice prompts work well and the Infiniti service works well. I have no issues. I think the ability to type full addresses into the Nav would be quite dangerous while driving. If you have a passenger, then use a smart phone and then voice enter the address or call infiniti and have them download it. The voice stuff actually works quite well.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What's really annoying is that you can't scroll the list of destinations you sent to the car from google if the car is moving. When I need to go somewhere new I usually look it up on my phone before leaving and send it to the car. Because things take a little while to startup in the car it is not surprising that you would start moving before you got to the Infiniti Connection screen. Then you find that you can't get to the destination if it isn't on the first page unless you pull over.

Guess I'll have to keep deleting that list.

Infiniti - if you are watching this board please take out this limitation!

·
Registered
82 Posts
It's obnoxious, annoying, and if a bypass doesn't come available, then this would almost certainly keep me from buying another Infiniti.
A bypass isnt coming. They've had this safety feature on the G37 nav as well.

But I've never actually seen a car disable features like this, so I wasn't exactly looking for it.
You havent driven enough cars then. MANY manufacturers disable input functions while driving.

Good luck with that. Sounds like you're the type of person who really DOES need something prohibiting the use.

I'm actually quite shocked some idiot at Infiniti thought this was a good idea.
Oh please. Some "idiot"? Go rant somewhere else. I'll be pleased you're not Google searching some address while you're driving, and running me off the road since you're not paying attention.

·
Registered
853 Posts
A bypass isnt coming. They've had this safety feature on the G37 nav as well.

You havent driven enough cars then. MANY manufacturers disable input functions while driving.

Good luck with that. Sounds like you're the type of person who really DOES need something prohibiting the use.

Oh please. Some "idiot"? Go rant somewhere else. I'll be pleased you're not Google searching some address while you're driving, and running me off the road since you're not paying attention.

Typical irrational response from someone who thinks it's appropriate to control other peoples lives - you know, for safety, and children, and senior citizens, and education... or some other nanny state feel good talking point.

Not sure if you noticed, but there is a substantial amount of features that DO work while operating the vehicle. You can look down and go through settings, radio stations, categories on XM, etc. etc. etc. And somehow you think all this is ok, but pressing a couple address buttons is not? You assume someone would actually spend the entire time looking down at the NAV? It's not hard to look over, press a couple letters, then look up, look down again and a couple more, etc.

And as someone else mentioned, you can't even scroll pages on results when moving either. For me, my text responses don't scroll. So I listen to my text message, for safety you know, then when I use the quick response, I can't even respond with the one I want... so you know what I do? I whip out my phone and type it out while driving.... yup, that sure is a great "safety" feature.... so believe me, I WILL be Google searching, but it'll be looking down at the tiny buttons on my cell phone instead of a few big buttons on the radio. Much safer.... riiiiiiight.

Granted, I do need to learn more of the voice commands and I probably wouldn't hate it as much. But seriously, the "big" feature on the Q50 is inTouch.... but you can't use it all while driving!! Not sure how you use your car, but I tend to drive mine.

Still, if no by-pass comes, this will be my last Infiniti, providing other competitive cars do not restrict usage.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
I usually leave discussions like this alone because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just felt the need to weigh in here. BNB-Ryan, the sentiments you are expressing are pretty selfish. The correlation between accidents and texting while driving have been shown over and over again. In some regards, I don't think the lockouts on the InTouch system go far enough. Many more of the settings in my G37 were locked out while the vehicle was in motion.

There is very little that cannot wait to be addressed once you come to a stop, have the opportunity to pull over, or get to your destination. The sentiment you are expressing basically says that your need for instant gratification is more important than the property and safety of anyone who has the misfortune of sharing the road with you. I hope to never count myself among that group.

We as a society have let ourselves become conditioned to whip out our little electronic leashes as soon as they beep, buzz, or belt out some stupid ring tone. The truth is, that there are very few of us who really need to check our devices as soon as they go off. I hope your good fortune with not being involved in any accidents as a result of texting while driving continues.

Reactions: q50x and bova80

·
Registered
18 Posts
I usually leave discussions like this alone because everyone is entitled to their opinion but I just felt the need to weigh in here. BNB-Ryan, the sentiments you are expressing are pretty selfish. The correlation between accidents and texting while driving have been shown over and over again. In some regards, I don't think the lockouts on the InTouch system go far enough. Many more of the settings in my G37 were locked out while the vehicle was in motion.

There is very little that cannot wait to be addressed once you come to a stop, have the opportunity to pull over, or get to your destination. The sentiment you are expressing basically says that your need for instant gratification is more important than the property and safety of anyone who has the misfortune of sharing the road with you. I hope to never count myself among that group.

We as a society have let ourselves become conditioned to whip out our little electronic leashes as soon as they beep, buzz, or belt out some stupid ring tone. The truth is, that there are very few of us who really need to check our devices as soon as they go off. I hope your good fortune with not being involved in any accidents as a result of texting while driving continues.
Very well said. I agree 100%.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.