Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
i've had nothing but love for the DAS so far... hopped in a base model Q50 courtesy today wasnt too used to the slow steering ratio, nice to feel some more feedback from the wheel tough.

Reactions: maddsiick

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
I got my copy yesterday when I got home. I find it curious that they would run articles on just the one car, two months in a row - almost like they are out to "get" the Q50. For them to call the steering "atrocious" is way over the top.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I got my copy yesterday when I got home. I find it curious that they would run articles on just the one car, two months in a row - almost like they are out to "get" the Q50. For them to call the steering "atrocious" is way over the top.
Don't be surprised, this is what we get with big automotive review companies like C&D. Sometimes it benefits them to build up controversy.

·
Registered
252 Posts
My problem is that I want the wood, so I have to get the DAS. I felt that the Q50 S's handling and composure is so strong that I can forgive the steering feel of the DAS. Of course I just test drove it and haven't lived with it on a daily basis yet; maybe a current Q50 with DAS owner can comment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I just don't understand most of the negativity with DAS. I drove a G35 and then G37 before and while I loved the steering, it wasn't as flexible for a variety of driving conditions.

Frankly, if I disable the nannies and set it to standard/standard, steering feels just as good as my wife's F30 3 series (which admittedly has electric steering now and isn't the pinnacle). Yes, hydraulic steering has better feel and more natural weighting, but it's going the way of the dodo.

In comparing it to what we are going to see in the future (and even now), I feel like DAS is better overall and I really have no problems with the feel in standard/standard. I will admit that I dislike it during spirited driving if the nannies are enabled but then you should probably disable the nannies when you're driving that way anyway. That said, I do think Infiniti should flesh out the options a bit more for 2015 models and make DAS (and any features that depend on it) it's own package if they're going to continue selling hydraulic at all. Either go all DAS or all hydraulic with DAS as an option.

To me, DAS is exceptional in it's ability to take the stress out of day to day driving, where you can be stuck in LA traffic one day and driving long distances on boring stretches of highway on another. This is what the majority of people will experience and DAS is just plain better in these situations (in my opinion), while still remaining plenty fun to drive, with average road feel during more spirited driving sessions (with the nannies off).

Don't get me wrong, I love the G37 (and pre-F30 3 series) steering, but I would never give up the flexibility and stress-reducing features that DAS offers day-to-day (in conjunction with the nannies) . I tend to be tired on my way to and from work and DAS works wonders in these situations. When I get home, I immediately switch to sport mode for errands and wake up along with the car. :D

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I drove a loaner G37 for a week while my Q50 was getting the update. I prefer the DAS.
Ditto. I don't get why the DAS is getting such bad reviews. These people need to drive the car on a daily basis to write better reviews. Yeah it took me a a couple of days to get used to the DAS but after that I prefer the DAS over regular steering.

Reactions: avanti5010

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Very well said. I felt exactly the same.
I drove the G37 loaner twice (first time I ever drove a G37) and I really miss the DAS of my Q50S Hybrid. The G37 steering weight is very tiresome and require lots of adjustment at highway speed. With Q50 DAS, the steering weight is light when you are going slow and increase it weight as you go faster. You rarely have to make any adjustment and it really make driving non-fatique. On top of that, you can adjust the steering ratio and weight to you liking. Stand-Quick setting is my favorite and it work really well on spirited/agressive driving.
The reason all these pro-reviewer doesn't like DAS because it really isolate road feel which is very different from conventional steering feel. I really believe if these reviewers drive the Q50 with DAS for a month, they probably will change their mind. I can understand their point of view on DAS if they just drove it briefly because DAS feel very different from conventional hyraulic steering.

I just don't understand most of the negativity with DAS. I drive a G35 and then G37 before and while I loved the steering, it wasn't as flexible for a variety of driving conditions.

Frankly, if I disable the nannies and set it to standard/standard, steering feels just as good as my wife's F30 3 series (which admittedly has electric steering now and isn't the pinnacle). Yes, hydraulic steering has better feel and more natural weighting, but it's going the way of the dodo.

In comparing it to what we are going to see in the future (and even now), I feel like DAS is better overall and I really have no problems with the feel in standard/standard. I will admit that I dislike it during spirited driving if the nannies are enabled but then you should probably disable the nannies when you're driving that way anyway. That said, I do think Infiniti should flesh out the options a bit more for 2015 models and make DAS (and any features that depend on it) it's own package if they're going to continue selling hydraulic at all. Either go all DAS or all hydraulic with DAS as an option.

To me, DAS is exceptional in it's ability to take the stress out of day to day driving, where you can be stuck in LA traffic one day and driving long distances on boring stretches of highway on another. This is what the majority of people will experience and DAS is just plain better in these situations (in my opinion), while still remaining plenty fun to drive, with average road feel during more spirited driving sessions (with the nannies off).

Don't get me wrong, I love the G37 (and pre-F30 3 series) steering, but I would never give up the flexibility and stress-reducing features that DAS offers day-to-day (in conjunction with the nannies) . I tend to be tired on my way to and from work and DAS works wonders in these situations. When I get home, I immediately switch to sport mode for errands and wake up along with the car. :D

·
Registered
348 Posts
Good to hear input from real owners. Agree 100% about the reduction in driving fatigue with the DAS. I'm still planing to get u
the hydraulic steering, the final round before they all disappear.

In 20 years most cars will be self driving, we will all remember the awesome feel electric steering had:D

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think Infiniti has moved the Q50 more toward a luxury/techno vehicle and away from the sport sedan it had been. There is nothing inherently wrong with the car if that is what you like and clearly car magazine reviewers do not like it. The comments have been too consistent about the DAS to be discounted. What people should take away from this is that they should test drive the car paying particular attention to the steering so they can decide whether they like it or not. Some people like to be shielded from road imperfections and some people like to feel everything that is going on down at the tires. I recently drove a Lexus ES 350 and felt that the steering did not give me enough feel of the road but an awful lot of people love the ES 350 because it isolates them from the road. However, Infiniti should not be pushing a comarison with cars like the BMW 3 series if they are not making the Q50 to be a sports sedan. The problem is the expectations of people who think they are getting a sports sedan. There are plenty of ES 350 owners that would say that my G37 sedan rides too harshly and the steering is too heavy but l love the car. I think that the mistake with the car is how Infiniti is presenting it and it is aggravated by those who think the car was designed with the same goals as the G37 was.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I'm curious to know how many of you actually tried a q50 without DAS?
Based on my experience, I just can't imagine someone who cares about
Steering feel choosing DAS.
i couldnt get the packages i want without DAS being included, so i just went with it, and so far its great.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.