Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably a stupid question - I parked the car on a slightly inclined driveway - backed it up. It had some snow, but only half way, so the car ended up half way in snow (rear), half way on dry (front). Put it in park and e-brake. Go in, come back about an hour and half later, and the car has moved?!
It seems the tracks I left while backing up flash froze, due to rapid temp drop. So that allowed the car's rear wheels to slide on them, with front wheels moving.
Does parking and e-brake not engage front wheel's brakes??

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Probably a stupid question - I parked the car on a slightly inclined driveway - backed it up. It had some snow, but only half way, so the car ended up half way in snow (rear), half way on dry (front). Put it in park and e-brake. Go in, come back about an hour and half later, and the car has moved?!
It seems the tracks I left while backing up flash froze, due to rapid temp drop. So that allowed the car's rear wheels to slide on them, with front wheels moving.
The Q50 is not a FWD car, so I wouldn't think that the e-brake worked the fronts.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The Q50 is not a FWD car, so I wouldn't think that the e-brake worked the fronts.
That would make sense, but I figured AWD played a difference? Especially considering they suggest to get a flatbed to get it towed.

·
Premium Member
2,672 Posts
E-Brake engages the rears on most cars AFAIK.

Reactions: CarolinaQ50

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
E-brake engages the rear wheels on our cars. It's actually two very small brake pads inside the center part of the brake rotor that press up against the inside of the brake rotor when engaged. I saw it when I changed my own brakes on my G37.

This image isn't an Infiniti, but the principle is the same.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My guess is that since it is a RWD based AWD that the front wheels do not engage in park, and the e-brake only activates the rear wheels. This would make it possible to move if it slid down the ice.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Alright, thank you all for answers! I guess need to look for dry spots for rear wheels next time :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.