Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi, this is a follow on thread from my previous question.
My 2017 Infinit Q50 engine was damaged due to the timingchain. Infiniti headquarter sent out an inspector last week to check my car. I got a call from the the infini dealership that the reason for the denial is poor maintaince since there is no oil change records other than infiniti services.
According to the manual, the oil change intervals " The general rule of thumb is twice a year or every 7,500 to 10,000 miles, whichever comes first. "
Here are my records:
9-18-2019 at 57,118 miles ( infiniti dealership )
5-6-2020 at 64,120 miles ( local autoshop)
5-29-2021 at 71,450 miles ( local autoshop)
9-25-2021 at 77,490 miles ( infiniti dealership)

As you can see, all engine oil changes are done within 10k intervals. However, I only did one oil change in 2020 since I drove little during pandemic.

It says twice a year, but I only did one but within its mileage requirement.

Can they deny the warranty because of that?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Have you discussed this with Infiniti customer service?

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You are waiting to hear what they decide? I thought you stated in your original post that you were denied warranty coverage.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You are waiting to hear what they decide? I thought you stated in your original post that you were denied warranty coverage.
They denied my warranty due to lack of maintenance information. I submitted the invoices from local auto shop today.. I am waiting what they would decide after reviewing invoices from local auto shop

·
Registered
28 Posts
My sister who bought a Q50 from me drives like 8k a year hadn’t changed her oil in 9 months and I scolded her. Your lubrication does degrade I would never go more than 6 months in between but I’m also very careful as todays modern motors are more delicate because of all the added emission controls etc. My guess is they will still deny you… but sometimes that info is enough so hope for the best but except the worst

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
They denied my warranty due to lack of maintenance information. I submitted the invoices from local auto shop today.. I am waiting what they would decide after reviewing invoices from local auto shop
So, I think we wait and see. They haven't denied your warranty due to lack of maintenance. They denied it due to lack of documentation. You've provided that documentation now, so hopefully all comes back well.

Your original post wasn't very clear about all of this and was a bit confusing. Report back what they determine after reviewing the documentation you've turned in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So, I think we wait and see. They haven't denied your warranty due to lack of maintenance. They denied it due to lack of documentation. You've provided that documentation now, so hopefully all comes back well.

Your original post wasn't very clear about all of this and was a bit confusing. Report back what they determine after reviewing the documentation you've turned in.
Sorry for not being clear. I am just wondering how strict they are with # of oil changes per year..

·
Registered
2016 Infiniti Q50 Premium AWD (w/Bose & Nav)
637 Posts
Sorry for not being clear. I am just wondering how strict they are with # of oil changes per year..
Make it very clear that the car was not driven much and didn't have many miles put on it.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
You haven't heard back from Infiniti yet after providing the documentation. I'm not sure why you are assuming the worst of saying things like "it is illegal for Infiniti not to accept independent shop's repair."

If I were you I would just wait and see before jumping to conclusions.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You haven't heard back from Infiniti yet after providing the documentation. I'm not sure why you are assuming the worst of saying things like "it is illegal for Infiniti not to accept independent shop's repair."

If I were you I would just wait and see before jumping to conclusions.
Yes. You are correct. I been reading bad reviews on Infiniti customer affairs and I been nervous.. I will wait..

·
Registered
637 Posts
Thanks Nick!! I hope they would accept it.. I know it is illegal for Infiniti not to accept independent shops's repair.. but I am sure they are doubting the works from local auto shop..
Repair or oil change? If it's just regular maintenance and you have invoice printouts
Yes. You are correct. I been reading bad reviews on Infiniti customer affairs and I been nervous.. I will wait..
Infiniti Customer Affairs sucks. They got me nowhere and I ended up having to tow my own car when their "Roadside Assistance" Didn't have a truck in a whole week.

·
Registered
St. Louis, MO
948 Posts
Nick, did you have to show documentation for maintenance when they did your engine? I have to believe most people, myself included, would not be able to produce it. I do my own oil changes and don't have receipts. Even if I did have receipts, what would prove it was for the Q50 and not another car? Seems the burden of proof should be on Infiniti to show you sludge or some other indication lack of maintenance caused the problems.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Nick, did you have to show documentation for maintenance when they did your engine? I have to believe most people, myself included, would not be able to produce it. I do my own oil changes and don't have receipts. Even if I did have receipts, what would prove it was for the Q50 and not another car? Seems the burden of proof should be on Infiniti to show you sludge or some other indication lack of maintenance caused the problems.
No, I had them prepared and in the glove box in case it was requested but they never did. In my case, they just pressure tested the cooling system since my failure was an internal coolant leak and approved the warranty.

People in the consolidated block thread have reported Infiniti warranty requesting an oil analysis in these cases. I'd imagine that if they don't have your service records on file, they might ask for documentation or more than likely just go straight to an oil analysis.

Infiniti seems to be very lax in approving some cases like mine, and very difficult in others. I suspect a part of the matter was my removal of all mods before bringing it in as well as some dealer techs being more "mod-friendly". My guess is that in the initial warranty claim, the tech is asked to indicate if there are any clear signs of aftermarket modifications, and Infiniti warranty likely follows up with more specific diagnosis steps in hopes of nailing a tune or JB4. There's more details here on @FloridaQ's case that lead to this suspicion of mine.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
Infiniti seems to be very lax in approving some cases like mine, and very difficult in others. I suspect a part of the matter was my removal of all mods before bringing it in as well as some dealer techs being more "mod-friendly". My guess is that in the initial warranty claim, the tech is asked to indicate if there are any clear signs of aftermarket modifications, and Infiniti warranty likely follows up with more specific diagnosis steps in hopes of nailing a tune or JB4. There's more details here on @FloridaQ's case that lead to this suspicion of mine.
Based on what data? I've only seen a handful of case denials throughout this entire forum. And a number of those were for legit reasons.

Your experience was really only muddled by your first dealer's technician and poor work. I think it is reasonable for a manufacturer to do a bit of forensic analysis before approving major engine replacements.

Fortunately Infiniti was very helpful to you in ensuring a second dealer will properly remedy the poor initial work done by your first dealer.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Based on what data? I've only seen a handful of case denials throughout this entire forum. And a number of those were for legit reasons.

Your experience was really only muddled by your first dealer's technician and poor work. I think it is reasonable for a manufacturer to do a bit of forensic analysis before approving major engine replacements.

Fortunately Infiniti was very helpful to you in ensuring a second dealer will properly remedy the poor initial work done by your first dealer.
If you go to Infiniti customer affairs reviews on Google, you see a lot of warranty denys... Anyway, I will update my case once I hear back from Infiniti headquarter

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
If you go to Infiniti customer affairs reviews on Google, you see a lot of warranty denys...
Sounds like Infiniti must be garbage. We should all probably assume the worst case is going to happen. I guess there must not be any good things to say about Infiniti customer service since surely if there were anything good it would be posted on Google reviews. I bet whenever a customer contacts customer service they always have simple issues to resolve and very realistic expectations from that customer....

·
Registered
637 Posts
I don't have concrete data but it is a well known trend here.

No. My experience with my dealer didn't change what information Infiniti requests. It is well known that Infiniti does not always request forensics on major repairs. Sometimes they approve them with minimal data, sometimes they send someone out and do oil/gas analysis.

Wrong, buddy. Infiniti Customer Affairs never got a tow truck to me. The entire experience through them was promising at first, and ended up being less than abysmal. I showed up on 3 different days where I was told pickup was happening, and it never did. I was also told by the service advisor at the other dealership that I would have to pay out of pocket for repairs. On top of this, my case manager never reached out to me. I had to constantly call back and beg for updates.

I eventually called the same dealership and paid for a tow and asked them to provide documented proof of a proper repair, plus I took it to a trusted shop for a once over. Only reason I did it is because they fired the old service manager and had a new one who assured me they would make things right. And they did.

Infiniti Customer Affairs was the least helpful and least professional encounter I have ever had with a business. They left my car in a parking lot for a week past the initial claimed pickup date before I paid for my own tow. The "direct line" to my advisor always went straight to voicemail, and I had to go through the main line multiple times. Whenever I had a question about the process of towing or how payment would be handled, I was told to just call someone else who had no clue what do to.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I bet whenever a customer contacts customer service they always have simple issues to resolve and very realistic expectations from that customer....
They couldn't figure out how to tow my ****ing car in a week, and AAA figured it out within 4hrs. If they can't resolve a tow, I am worried for whatever internal issues they try to solve.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts