Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I love everything about my new Q50. Except the trunk space!

Compared to my previous G37, the trunk is extremely shallow (the floor of the trunk is virtually at the same level as the lip of the trunk lid). I would expect this from the hybrid model, but not from the non-hybrid. What makes it even more surprising is that both the G37 and Q50 are rated at 13.5 cubic feet of cargo space! At least I have the folding rear seatbacks this time, which helps.

Maybe Infiniti needed the space for all of those microprocessors and other tech stuff! :D

2014 Q50 AWD Premium
Malbec Black
Nav, Deluxe Touring

·
Premium Member
1,569 Posts
Issue from the start for me. The stated cargo space is without the spare tire package. I had to take some folks on a road trip and pulled out the spare and crossed my fingers that the RFT's would do the trick. Luckily they did.

The fold down seat is nice to have but because of the limited depth of the trunk, it's not as useful as it could be - or is on other cars.

The good news is that it's right there, or better, in terms of the competition in this class. Try fitting a body in the ATS trunk - fuggeddaboutit!

The good news is that it's easy to judge trunk space when test driving the car so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you trust the RFT, go ahead and pull the spare if you need more room - at your own risk. Made a difference for me. I haven't replaced it since that longer trip almost 2 months ago. If I switch to non run flats I'll definitely lose that space as the spare tire won't be an option at that point - it will be a necessity.

·
Premium Member
526 Posts
This discussion prompted me to take a look at the provisions around the roadside assistance that Infiniti provides. I thought that we'd be given a tow to the closest dealership in the event of a problem. Well, that is almost right. We'll be given a tow to the closest dealership "within a reasonable distance". I don't find this particularly reassuring for those of us without a spare. Here is the link to the document if you'd care to take a look. https://owners.infinitiusa.com/content/manualsandguides/FX/2012/2011_RoadSide_QRG.pdf

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Issue from the start for me. The stated cargo space is without the spare tire package. I had to take some folks on a road trip and pulled out the spare and crossed my fingers that the RFT's would do the trick. Luckily they did.

The fold down seat is nice to have but because of the limited depth of the trunk, it's not as useful as it could be - or is on other cars.

The good news is that it's right there, or better, in terms of the competition in this class. Try fitting a body in the ATS trunk - fuggeddaboutit!

The good news is that it's easy to judge trunk space when test driving the car so it shouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

If you trust the RFT, go ahead and pull the spare if you need more room - at your own risk. Made a difference for me. I haven't replaced it since that longer trip almost 2 months ago. If I switch to non run flats I'll definitely lose that space as the spare tire won't be an option at that point - it will be a necessity.
Looking in the trunk is one thing I did not do before I bought the car! When I saw the capacity listed as 13.5, I just thought it was about the same as my G37. Oh well.

My G37 had a spare, too, but was still much deeper. Like you suggested, I think I'll take out the spare whenever I think I might need some extra room, and keep my fingers crossed.

2014 Q50 AWD Premium
Malbec Black
Nav, Deluxe Touring

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
I think I looked into this when I got the car and tried to remove the spare tire.
However, I found out that the original carpet or cover won't fit there anymore.

Do you guys run into this? or anyone actually tried it?
I will take a look at it tonight.

Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So far, I love everything about my new Q50. Except the trunk space!

Compared to my previous G37, the trunk is extremely shallow (the floor of the trunk is virtually at the same level as the lip of the trunk lid). I would expect this from the hybrid model, but not from the non-hybrid. What makes it even more surprising is that both the G37 and Q50 are rated at 13.5 cubic feet of cargo space! At least I have the folding rear seatbacks this time, which helps.

Maybe Infiniti needed the space for all of those microprocessors and other tech stuff! :D

2014 Q50 AWD Premium
Malbec Black
Nav, Deluxe Touring

Imagine if you had the hybrid!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.