Infiniti Q50 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Q50 is already in the shop for minor damage repair. Apparently, not everyone follows instructions at the car wash. I was happily getting tree sap off of my car in the tunnel at Goo Goo car wash, when bam. The guy behind me did not put his car in neutral, "really". His insurance has taken full responsibility, not that this could even be argued and it is current being fixed. I ended up with an outline of his license plate on my beautiful rear bumper. Hope the sensors won't be affected. Think I'm going to invest in my own car washing kit from now on :).

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
My new Q50 is already in the shop for minor damage repair. Apparently, not everyone follows instructions at the car wash. I was happily getting tree sap off of my car in the tunnel at Goo Goo car wash, when bam. The guy behind me did not put his car in neutral, "really". His insurance has taken full responsibility, not that this could even be argued and it is current being fixed. I ended up with an outline of his license plate on my beautiful rear bumper. Hope the sensors won't be affected. Think I'm going to invest in my own car washing kit from now on :).

Ouch! That sucks man! :(

I hope everything will be fine and everything will be fixed!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Damm, that's suck. If that happen to my car, I would be heartbroken.
It's so convenience to take a car to the car wash. I tried washing, clay barring and waxing my car last weekend and I was exhausted. Not only that it take so much time.

·
Premium Member
1,070 Posts
I just washed both mine and my wife's cars, applied the paint sealant Selzini recommended, and removed excess. That stuff works. For next cleanings, just spray water from garden hose and wipe dry. Then Use car wash soap if too dirty to clean. I am good for a year in terms of car washes. No more going to car washes, Will do it myself.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I just washed both mine and my wife's cars, applied the paint sealant Selzini recommended, and removed excess. That stuff works. For next cleanings, just spray water from garden hose and wipe dry. Then Use car wash soap if too dirty to clean. I am good for a year in terms of car washes. No more going to car washes, Will do it myself.
Could you point me back to what was previously recommended by Slezini ... i'm about to wash my car for the first time since picking it up last week. In speaking with the dealer they said I didn't need to apply wax, etc., as it was done at the shop after the clear coat. I've been a car wash shop users for many years and want to change my habits. I haven't been in the market for DIY material in a long time.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Could you point me back to what was previously recommended by Slezini ... i'm about to wash my car for the first time since picking it up last week. In speaking with the dealer they said I didn't need to apply wax, etc., as it was done at the shop after the clear coat. I've been a car wash shop users for many years and want to change my habits. I haven't been in the market for DIY material in a long time.
Well, O.K., if you spell my name right............

Seriously, the sealant is called Master Formula, and it can only be purchased on line. If your car has been waxed already, you'll need to remove it first(wash with Dawn dish detergent). After applying, then wax.
Gandhi, you really should wax the car. That gives it an extra layer of protection. You will not have to POLISH the car again, though water will bead on the surface, even if you don't wax. I don't know how long the sealant would last without waxing, since I did wax the G once or twice a year.

·
Premium Member
1,844 Posts

Seriously, the sealant is called Master Formula, and it can only be purchased on line. If your car has been waxed already, you'll need to remove it first(wash with Dawn dish detergent). After applying, then wax.
Gandhi, you really should wax the car. That gives it an extra layer of protection. You will not have to POLISH the car again, though water will bead on the surface, even if you don't wax. I don't know how long the sealant would last without waxing, since I did wax the G once or twice a year.
Selzini, did I ask what wax you use?

·
Registered
302 Posts

Am I still having that problem! I'm sorry, i thought i fixed that a long time ago. I copied it from someone else here :)

and I'm SteinyD ;)

Thanks for the info. I need more. Will do some searching on the topic in the forums. I'm sure the process of cleaning / waxing / polishing and products has been discussed already.

·
Registered
60 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Moral of the story... Never ... ever take your car to a car wash. I won't even let the dealership wash my car!

2 bucket it!

Reactions: ChrisQ50

·
Registered
143 Posts
Sorry to hear about this happening to you.

In Chicagoland you can get a $3 automated car wash or the more typical $10-12 wand wash. The hand washes have been ok but I wanted to see what else was out there.

A few clicks through Yelp and I found Simon's Shine Shop. They are just under $22. The difference is beyond belief. Really nice waiting area with real coffee or water. Every staff member is on the ball. When I asked the guy who takes your order not to touch the screens, he put a piece of tape across the area to make sure the message gets to everyone who will work on the car. The process is that they wash and dry the car in place, then move it up to the vacuum, windex and final QC area. When the car is done, they bring it around the side of the building for you to inspect. If something needs touch up, they have a cart and vacuum set up for any missed areas (my car looked great from end to end).

The other think I liked was the general demographics. Lots of MB, BMW, Porsche and Range Rovers being cleaned. They had an area off to the side for detailing (a C63 was getting the treatment and looked super). The folks in the waiting room included women with kids, guys with multiple smart phones in action and a woman in scrubs. I am hooked.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I hand wash my vehichles. The touchless washes don't really clean the car very well, and the traditional spinning mop-heads of doom washes can put scratches and swirls in the paint... and they also don't get the car "clean".

If you are going to go through the trouble of removing your wax to apply a sealant, don't forget to give it a clay bar treatment before polishing. I'm not sure how these various sealants will interact with the self healing paints.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to be a hands-on guy with my cars but not anymore. I go to a nearby car detailing place for my car wash. It's done by hand and they do a good job of drying the car by using an air compressor. It's not cheap ($18 per wash) but they do a very thorough job.

One of the products I use for in-between car wash polish ups is something called Showtime by Mothers. It's a spray wax type of product that really brings out a good luster/shine. But I notice my car collects dust like crazy and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the spray wax.

Robert
BellaQ50

·
Registered
585 Posts
But I notice my car collects dust like crazy and I'm wondering if it has something to do with the spray wax.
I would be willing to bet it is. I'm a big fan of products from Griot's Garage. My typical spring/summer is I wash/clay/wax/seal my car in Mar/April. After that initial thorough cleaning, I usually don't wash it again (unless it gets really dirty somewhere).

After that first washing, I use Griot's Spray Shine every 2 or 3 days. It only takes me 10-15 minutes in the evening (far less time and less expensive than a car wash - I buy the products in gallon sizes) and gives me a chance to make sure I haven't picked up any stray nicks, etc.

Saturday mornings, I use Griot's waterless car wash. Same 10-15 minutes. Every other week, after using the waterless car wash, I hit it with Griot's Spray wax (I've never had the issue with it attracting dust, but I have read on forums that other products do).

I do this all winter as well. The spray wax keeps everything shiny and adds extra live to the sealant.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.